Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2009, 08:31 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Problems attaching the Super Steer Motion Control Units

All the threads on the Super Steer motion control units are about a year old and do not address my concern. If this query is misplaced, I'm sure someone will let me know.

The rave reviews of this add-on seem to indicate that it is simply "plugged" into the cut ends of the air hose connecting to the airbags. Is this correct, and if so, how does this connection withstand the 120 lbs or so of air pressure? I sure don't want a detached air hose with the loss of air pressure while traveling down the road. All the high pressure connections I've seen are crimped or clamped but I can't see the detail for this in the views shown.

I prefer youse guys unbiased opinions before posing this to the people selling it.

Also, Any notion as to why what seems to be a simple device is so pricey.

Thanks

JT Kirby
WN4O

2006 32T Journey
RV'nOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2009, 09:05 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
As to the cost first. The units are patented and made by a company called Donvel in Texas. All others buy and resell directly from him or through others. He does not sell direct to the consumer, unless he has no distributor in your area. Therefore the price.

The units slip over the cut airline and grab just like a chinese finger. Once attached they will not come off. The two tricks to installing them is that the airline must be cleaned of all road dirt, undercoating, etc. and the cut must be absolutely square accross the cut airline.

They should be installed close to the airbags but don't make yourself nuts over this. Put the coach on the jacks, dump all air from the tanks and put them on. It is an easy install, providing you can easily access the airlines.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:07 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnk View Post
As to the cost first. The units are patented and made by a company called Donvel in Texas. All others buy and resell directly from him or through others. He does not sell direct to the consumer, unless he has no distributor in your area. Therefore the price.

The units slip over the cut airline and grab just like a chinese finger. Once attached they will not come off. The two tricks to installing them is that the airline must be cleaned of all road dirt, undercoating, etc. and the cut must be absolutely square accross the cut airline.

They should be installed close to the airbags but don't make yourself nuts over this. Put the coach on the jacks, dump all air from the tanks and put them on. It is an easy install, providing you can easily access the airlines.
Thank you for the information, Mike. So the price is because they can, ie., no competition.

I'm familiar with the operation of the chinese finger . . . and how to release them. I enjoyed looking at your blog. We recently returned from a 59 day tour of Mexico.

JT
WN4O

2006 32T Journey
Old 06-07-2009, 08:25 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have an 07 38N and wonder if these actually do what everyone claims. Has any one installed them on a 38N or like kind MH? Hate to spend the funds if they don't do what is claimed. Asked my local Freightliner dealer and he did not know.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #5

I am going to be putting them on in the near future. I talked to a friend who has put them on and they do as advertised. He said this is probably one of the products that exceeds customer expectations.

I agree that for something this simple it should not cost this much, but that is our free enterprise system working the way it should be working.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Korryp,
The MCUs are on my coach ans they are a product that works better than advertised. If you want to see one on my coach installed, go to http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=10504
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
OK folks, I'm convinced. I moved the MH to a grassy spot in the yard and crawled under to measure the air lines to the air bags. The front line is one-half inch and while not easy to access, it looks quite doable. But where in the heck is the rear line? Not only does it seem inacessable, I can't even find it! The front one is colored blue, nothing blue in the back that I can see. I managed to get a hand on the top of the bag and the only thing I felt in the way of an attachment was a smallish elbow with something with a metal feeling, spring-like covering connecting toward the front.

My rig is a 2006 Winnebago Journey 32T.

Anyone installed these things on this or a similar rig? Any suggestions as to where the rear lines are and what they look like? How to access them?

What would be the results of installing the front pair only?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

JT Kirby
WN4O
Old 06-10-2009, 12:34 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
RV'nOldTimer,
I installed the control units on my 04 winnebago 34H journey. They work great, as reported by other member of the forum. For my rig, the rear air line was only 1/4" diameter and was visible from behind the rear axle and can be traced going to the rear air bags. I believe that my rear air line was red in color.
You may also want to consider Koni shocks (check the winnebago user forum for more info on Koni shocks). I have them and also steer safe plus and all of these made a considerable improvement in my ride.

Hope this helps.
jim & debbie and 2 cocker spaniels
04 winnebago journey 34H
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, Jim. I'll be back underneath the rig later this afternoon when the weather cools a bit, struggling with getting the old air filter off and a new one on. I'll look again for the rear air lines. As you said, the rear bags are aft of the axle, along with a multitude of other stuff. I've raised the rear but its still crowded around those bags.

JT
WN4O
Old 06-10-2009, 04:57 PM   #10

I delayed putting them on my coach for a couple years for just the reason you stated, where in the world are the rear lines and how can they be possibly be reached to cut. And after cutting should there be a leak and have to remove the unit, how could that be done. I finally found a spot a little further away from the rear bags than at the front where I could cut and attach the unit. Really no problems.
I got a good hose cutter at Lowes for $10-$12 (4 cuts and haven't used it since but indispensible for the project). Also after cleaning the hose and cutting it, I made an ink mark about 1/2"-3/4" back from the cut end so I could be sure how far the hose is pushed into the unit.
I found they don't completely eliminate the whip back and forth going in/out a rough driveway but definitely help. It does take a little longer to dump/fill the bags but no more than 2-4 minutes extra at the most.
Definitely one of the most over priced aftermarket items for RVs around ( unless it would be a Pressure Pro tire pressure monitoring system) but when there's no competition what else can we do.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
Old 06-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #11

I can't say I really noticed a difference when I put the rears on. I put the fronts on and noticed a big difference just pulling out of my driveway. I then took it on a couple weekend trips and was happy with the results. I then installed the rears and didn't seem to notice a change. If I was to do it over again, I would probably just do the the fronts... and some shocks.

John
Old 06-10-2009, 11:31 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Time View Post
I can't say I really noticed a difference when I put the rears on. I put the fronts on and noticed a big difference just pulling out of my driveway. I then took it on a couple weekend trips and was happy with the results. I then installed the rears and didn't seem to notice a change. If I was to do it over again, I would probably just do the the fronts... and some shocks.

John
Thanks for your experiences, Wakonmaster2 and John. This is useful information for me. If I don't find the rear hoses are accessable, I'll probably install the front ones only. This afternoon I failed to look again for the rear hoses - too engaged struggling with removing the air filter. FWIW, I had to take all kinds of things off to get the beast out. Now I have to get everything back together.

JT
WN4O
Old 06-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Does it make any sense to do just the fronts? I bought a set of 4, and after hours under the coach trying to get to the left rear, I gave up. The amount of line that is exposed before disappearing into a cable/bundle clamped to the frame, is only 4 inches. If I cut it, and then can't move it to get the MCU's installed, I'm SOL. The righ rear is difficult to get to, but doable. I didn't even bother to check the front, thinking that what's the point in doing half the job.

I'd love to have these on my coach, but I'm about ready to just forgetaboutit.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
CaptBill, did you see the posts from Family Time and Wagonmaster2? They had experience with the fronts only. I've not done either, primarily because of the problem you mention.

On my Journey, the left rear also disappears into a large bundle in very tight quarters and I couldn't see how to attach the thingie. It appears that the rear hoses are one-quarter inch diameter with a protective sheath, while the front is one-half inch and no covering. Odd.

JT Kirby
WN4O