Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2021, 02:15 PM   #1

PSI instruments going wild

I have a 2014 Fleetwood Expedition (Class A diesel). While driving down the highway, the two PSI instruments on the dash jump from 125 PSI to zero. After about one minute or so, they jump back to 125 PSI. This goes on the entire time I am driving. There is no functional loss of the equipment that uses air. I have pushed on the wires behind the instruments to make there is no loose connections. I have spoken to Fleetwood and Freightliner and they are as lost as I am. Any ideas?
Thank you
paulglaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2021, 04:59 PM   #2

Well it would appear that Freightliner has changed the gauge package again ; the diagnostic info I have from Freightliner on the gauge package they started using in 2007 indicated the air pressure gauges are manual , not electronic so no use me posting that pdf here .

Do you get a low pressure alarm too; or just the gauge movement ?

Over the years , I've collected Freightliner documents on diagnosing gauge operation on three Freightliner systems , did Freightliner offer to send you any kind of a pdf on the gauge package ?
Old 09-26-2021, 06:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Well it would appear that Freightliner has changed the gauge package again ; the diagnostic info I have from Freightliner on the gauge package they started using in 2007 indicated the air pressure gauges are manual , not electronic so no use me posting that pdf here .

Do you get a low pressure alarm too; or just the gauge movement ?

Over the years , I've collected Freightliner documents on diagnosing gauge operation on three Freightliner systems , did Freightliner offer to send you any kind of a pdf on the gauge package ?
The low pressure alarm did not activate, only gage movement.
The only thing Freightliner offered was a "I don't know, call Fleetwood"
Old 09-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulglaser View Post
The low pressure alarm did not activate, only gage movement.
The only thing Freightliner offered was a "I don't know, call Fleetwood"
Was that at a Freightliner dealer or from the Freightliner help line ?

Freightliner made the air system , the gauge package and all the wiring between the sensors and the dash; somewhere at Freightliner there is info on diagnostics and repair.

Call the help line with your chassis serial number , tell them you want , wiring schematics , wiring diagrams and any ; and all ; info on the gauge system they have.
Because the gauge movement doesn't trigger the alarm , there has to be either ; different sensors for the alarm or a module that interprets the sensor input and is sending signal to the gauges ( that's being interrupted causing your issue )and not to the alarm.

Did you get any info on the gauge package in a Freightliner chassis manual with the coach ?
Do they still refer to the gauge package as LBCU ( Light Bar Control Unit )?
Old 10-01-2021, 01:55 PM   #5

Thanks for your response. I wish I could say the same for the Freightliner help line. I asked for the wiring diagram and they said they could not send it cause it would be about 100 pages. The manual I have does not give any details on the instruments. The technician at Freightliner said that I could remove the top panel above the instruments to get a better look of the instruments. When I asked her to clarify, she simply told me to take it to a Freightliner dealer. In frustration, I removed the panel and, as she said, I could see the wires clearly. I found a "disconnected" wire assembly with a connector on the end that I THOUGHT came out of the instrument. I followed all of the wires and think that all the instruments are tied together with this wire assembly and this was the end of the line to be used for tying in future instruments. Although each PSI instrument had one open female connection, there were no 'loose' wires. I did push on all of the connectors going into the instruments. I turned on the engine and the PSI instruments went to 150 PSI. I shut the engine off after a few minutes since the instruments didn't move. It should be mentioned that on my return trip on Wednesday, the instruments only jumped once and remained at zero most of the 185 mile trip. I leave again on 10/3 and will also call Fleetwood to see if they will help.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:07 PM   #6

Well things have changed over the years the wiring schematics and diagrams for my coach probably total 15 pages .
Did the " not so helpful " line give you an indication of the gauge system acronym ? Are they still calling it LBCU ( Light Bar Control Unit ) ?

As I mentioned , I have a pdf on diagnostics for the LBCU , but , it refers to the air pressure gauges as manual ( air pressure supplied , directly to the gauge through a small tube) not an electronic gauge .

Here's the pdf , just in case any info crosses over to your gauge system.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LBCU info and diagnostics.pdf (220.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 10-06-2021, 03:37 PM   #7

My 2007 did the same thing. I just bought the dash out enough to get at the gauges. I just unplugged each electrical fitting and replugged them back in. End of the problem and has been good for 3 years now
desertdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Well things have changed over the years the wiring schematics and diagrams for my coach probably total 15 pages .
Did the " not so helpful " line give you an indication of the gauge system acronym ? Are they still calling it LBCU ( Light Bar Control Unit ) ?

As I mentioned , I have a pdf on diagnostics for the LBCU , but , it refers to the air pressure gauges as manual ( air pressure supplied , directly to the gauge through a small tube) not an electronic gauge .

Here's the pdf , just in case any info crosses over to your gauge system.
Skip, In your PDF it looks like the air pressure tube goes to a transducer not directly to the gauge. If all the connections on the gauges are good maybe the connection from the transducer to the gauge isn't making solid contact?
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:15 PM   #9

Well, I finally got an answer from Freightliner that my 2014 Fleetwood has a LBCU (Light Bar Control Unit).
There are no tubes going to the PSI instruments. As suggested, I removed the connectors from the back and reinstalled them. No difference. Both Fleetwood and Freightliner do not have a direct solution.
During this last trip, I turned on the ignition and no radio, no back up camera, no house AC, and no wipers. Called Fleetwood and they had me test the voltage at the circuit box in the storage unit. We also checked fuses F6, 7, 8, and 19, with no problems. The technician had me go into the rig and turn on the "Park" button. The radio and back up camera came on so at least I could drive home safely. I look forward to any more suggestions, but I think I'll be taking to Velocity Truck Center here in Phoenix.
Old 11-23-2021, 01:03 PM   #10

Update on my 2014 Fleetwood Expedition electrical problems
The dash AC, radio, wipers, and back up camera has been repaired. After 7.7 hours of trouble shooting, the repair company found that the 150 amp Mega fuse had loosen in the connector and had burnt the fuse holder.
The PSI instruments are continuing to be a menace. The transducer module was discovered to have failed. It was purchased for $367.49 and replaced. That had no effect. After several conversations with FCCC, the Tech was told to replace the Driver Info Module (LBCU Module) for $1094.99. That also had no effect. I'm waiting for the Service Repair Center to call me to see what is next. The total bill to date is $6661.04. I'm going to remortgage my home in order to pay for the repairs of this problem.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:22 AM   #11

The continued saga of our 2014 Fleetwood Expedition PSI gage problem.
According to the repair facility, the LBCU module had to be "reset". Therefore, my gages now record 125 PSI.
Thanks for everyone who responded. It has been an ADVENTURE.