RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-23-2015, 07:44 PM   #1
Registered User
 
LVRVLUVR's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Pusher vs puller vs dirt road????

We just returned from off road camping.... we pull a trailer ...
at the dunes the road was silt dirt from lots of traffic....after about a mile in
we camped..... holy weep'n jeasus...what a mess... silt dirt all over the rear...isn't that getting sucked into the radiator and engine..

is it a bad idea to take pushers off road......would a puller be better...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
Registered User
 
LVRVLUVR's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
part 2.... does the air flow go in towards the engine.... or from the engine out?
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
aauummm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Altoona, Iowa
Posts: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
We just returned from off road camping.... we pull a trailer ...
at the dunes the road was silt dirt from lots of traffic....after about a mile in
we camped..... holy weep'n jeasus...what a mess... silt dirt all over the rear...isn't that getting sucked into the radiator and engine..

is it a bad idea to take pushers off road......would a puller be better...
Put these on it, they act as small airfoils so that you don't have a vacuum behind the MH to suck dirt into. You have to keep your speed at 35 mph or greater though....

https://www.buyairtab.com/about-airtabs/
__________________
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, (lots of upgrades and modifications)
2011 Honda CRV, 2004 Rubicon (many modifications)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
Registered User
 
LVRVLUVR's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
dirt and dust is coming off the front wheels and under the coach
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:00 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
aauummm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Altoona, Iowa
Posts: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
dirt and dust is coming off the front wheels and under the coach
Ouch. I don't take mine off-road so someone else that does hopefully can give us some ideas.
__________________
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, (lots of upgrades and modifications)
2011 Honda CRV, 2004 Rubicon (many modifications)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:02 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Old Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,333
Wheels are the main issues but engine fan can kick-up dust too....many newer coaches have electronic engine fan controllers that also takes input from your dash A/C's calls for cooling. MIGHT help to turn off dash system when traversing dusty roads....
__________________
Old Scout
2003 Alpine 40' MDTS
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:16 PM   #7
Registered User
 
LVRVLUVR's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Wheels are the main issues but engine fan can kick-up dust too....many newer coaches have electronic engine fan controllers that also takes input from your dash A/C's calls for cooling. MIGHT help to turn off dash system when traversing dusty roads....
which way does the air flow thru the rad
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
cbeierl's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
which way does the air flow thru the rad
Air flows from the engine back through the rear radiator/CAC and out the back.
__________________
Chris Beierl

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:24 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
mchero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Full Time USA
Posts: 2,180
Engine compartment out the back. Side mount radiators outside in.
__________________
Robert & Deb
07 Discovery 39v FWS Full Timers, Henniker NH
1K solar - 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:28 PM   #10
Registered User
 
LVRVLUVR's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
Engine compartment out the back. Side mount radiators outside in.
thank you, so whatever dirt kicked up from the front tire goes right into the radiator...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:35 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
mchero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Full Time USA
Posts: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
thank you, so whatever dirt kicked up from the front tire goes right into the radiator...
Most likely rear tires kick the crap up into engine compartment and out the radiator. Rear radiator's require frequent cleaning. Some rigs have breather tubes that are too short & can get oil up in the radiator, then, you drive thru the silt & guess what the radiator looks like. Then your overheating on the way home!

Can't forget the charge air cooler, usually in front of the radiator, then possibly a transmission cooler so up to three radiators! that silt would get pushed thru.

__________________
Robert & Deb
07 Discovery 39v FWS Full Timers, Henniker NH
1K solar - 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:28 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 8,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
We just returned from off road camping.... we pull a trailer ...
at the dunes the road was silt dirt from lots of traffic....after about a mile in
we camped..... holy weep'n jeasus...what a mess... silt dirt all over the rear...isn't that getting sucked into the radiator and engine..

is it a bad idea to take pushers off road......would a puller be better...
LVR,
First off, based on your statement(s), I'm assuming you have a "rear radiator" diesel pusher. Second, you've found out what kind of mess, a D/P can make by cruising around off road. Third, if, you have a pusher and, it's a REAR radiator style, then yes, (A) the flow of air, created by the fan on the engine, flows from the engine, through the CAC (Charge Air Cooler) and then through the radiator and, out the back of the coach.

Fourth, those little tiny "fins" that people tape onto the rear/sides of the coach, will be absolutely useless in keeping the coach and or, anything else clean back there i.e. rear of coach, trailer, toys, toad, etc. when proceeding at slow speeds off road. The turbulence is created by the fan and that, is on the inside of the engine compartment, not the outside of the coach.

Fifth, in silt like conditions, the front tires will disturb the silt and cause dust and debris to flow around on both sides of both front tires and, under the front end of the coach. Now, you've got twice the amount of tires back there on the rear, causing twice the amount of disturbance of silt, and coupled with that is, your fan on your engine. Now, at last check, about 99.99999% of the diesel coaches out there that are rear radiator style, DO NOT HAVE FAN CLUTCHES that control whether the fan is on or off, during engine operations.

So, what that means is, your fan is turning, 24/7 when ever your engine is running. What that means is, if you're cruising off road and, stirring up all that silt in to fine dust particles, yes, your fan will also cause turbulence back there and, along with the silt and dust kicked up by your tires, and, because of the massive air flow designed to be created by that fan, you will have a very large percentage of that dust and debris, get lodged into the fins of both the CAC and the radiator.

There's not a ton you can do about it if you insist on driving a D/P off road. You can "minimize" the effects by trying to run at a much slower pace and, therefore keep your engine RPMs as low as possible but, still allow the coach to keep moving towards your destination.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:36 AM   #13
Registered User
 
LVRVLUVR's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
LVR,
First off, based on your statement(s), I'm assuming you have a "rear radiator" diesel pusher. Second, you've found out what kind of mess, a D/P can make by cruising around off road. Third, if, you have a pusher and, it's a REAR radiator style, then yes, (A) the flow of air, created by the fan on the engine, flows from the engine, through the CAC (Charge Air Cooler) and then through the radiator and, out the back of the coach.

Fourth, those little tiny "fins" that people tape onto the rear/sides of the coach, will be absolutely useless in keeping the coach and or, anything else clean back there i.e. rear of coach, trailer, toys, toad, etc. when proceeding at slow speeds off road. The turbulence is created by the fan and that, is on the inside of the engine compartment, not the outside of the coach.

Fifth, in silt like conditions, the front tires will disturb the silt and cause dust and debris to flow around on both sides of both front tires and, under the front end of the coach. Now, you've got twice the amount of tires back there on the rear, causing twice the amount of disturbance of silt, and coupled with that is, your fan on your engine. Now, at last check, about 99.99999% of the diesel coaches out there that are rear radiator style, DO NOT HAVE FAN CLUTCHES that control whether the fan is on or off, during engine operations.

So, what that means is, your fan is turning, 24/7 when ever your engine is running. What that means is, if you're cruising off road and, stirring up all that silt in to fine dust particles, yes, your fan will also cause turbulence back there and, along with the silt and dust kicked up by your tires, and, because of the massive air flow designed to be created by that fan, you will have a very large percentage of that dust and debris, get lodged into the fins of both the CAC and the radiator.

There's not a ton you can do about it if you insist on driving a D/P off road. You can "minimize" the effects by trying to run at a much slower pace and, therefore keep your engine RPMs as low as possible but, still allow the coach to keep moving towards your destination.
Scott
Thanks a ton for taking the time to spell this out...nice reply and post...


the coach is a 2014 Fleetwood excursion..

we go to the dunes a lot ..and yes it involves long dirt roads to almost all the areas we go..... drive out there I started remembering why I didn't keep my last pusher..horrible mess.. the roads where big silt pots about 12" deep in silt... the tires where white
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:36 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
jenandjon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Northeastern Nebraska
Posts: 941
Use this every time you get home.

Radiator Genie Cleans out Clogged Radiators

It works. We use it on everything on the farm that has a radiator. Better have a good air compressor.
__________________
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Death Valley, Panamint Valley Road AKJohn Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 6 01-29-2015 11:55 AM
Road Legal ATV Dippelj Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 6 12-08-2014 11:10 AM
Older than dirt! MSHappyCampers Just Conversation 62 02-16-2014 07:56 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.