Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2021, 11:58 AM   #1

Rear air

I have a 2003 Winnebago Journey.Going down the road and the rear air gauge will drop to zero and the alarm will go off.Im not losing air.I'll hit a bump and it will come back to where it should be and the alarm turns off.
Fedexjettech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2021, 12:10 PM   #2

I have a '02 Journey with the Freightliner chassis.

Under the bed, remove that metal cover. On the forward wall of that steel box are many boxes with big cables connected to them. Repeatedly remove slightly than push back on those big connectors. Just 1/4" to 1/2". That burnishes the contacts. Those boxes interconnect all the electronic devices like the ECM, the TCM, some gauges like the surge tank liquid level, air pressure, engine temp, and the Freightliner CAN system which sends signals to the dash.

On my rig, one of the dash gauges was doing strange things until I did the pull/push of those connectors. That fixed it.

You could remove them all together and spray with contact spray but they are so well sealed, I don't think that's necessary. You could also try to find the actual air pressure sensor/sender and trace out where it's going, cleaning connectors as you go. The Freightliner drawings should help with that too if you have them. If not, call FL's service 800 # Monday and ask for a PDF of your VIN's schematic.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:12 PM   #3

I'll just bet you coach has the VDC/VDU gauge package ( Vehicle Data Center/ Unit ) and yours is a WIDELY known issue.

Cold solder joints, internal ( but repairable) in the VDC.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Freightliner gauges operation , testing.pdf (127.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: pdf Freightliner VDC_Repair FL VDU (1).pdf (235.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 10-23-2021, 11:09 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I have a '02 Journey with the Freightliner chassis.

Under the bed, remove that metal cover. On the forward wall of that steel box are many boxes with big cables connected to them. Repeatedly remove slightly than push back on those big connectors. Just 1/4" to 1/2". That burnishes the contacts. Those boxes interconnect all the electronic devices like the ECM, the TCM, some gauges like the surge tank liquid level, air pressure, engine temp, and the Freightliner CAN system which sends signals to the dash.

On my rig, one of the dash gauges was doing strange things until I did the pull/push of those connectors. That fixed it.

You could remove them all together and spray with contact spray but they are so well sealed, I don't think that's necessary. You could also try to find the actual air pressure sensor/sender and trace out where it's going, cleaning connectors as you go. The Freightliner drawings should help with that too if you have them. If not, call FL's service 800 # Monday and ask for a PDF of your VIN's schematic.
Where is this 'many boxes' you speak of ? Do you mean the 30 amp and 50 Amp boxes.. Thx
Petesflhtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesflhtk View Post
Where is this 'many boxes' you speak of ? Do you mean the 30 amp and 50 Amp boxes.. Thx
I believe the boxes Jim referred to are the , VDC ( Vehicle Data Computer ) Transmission ECU ( Electronic Control Unit ) and the VIM ( Vehicle Interface Module . Located on a frame member above the engine ( yellow box ) in this photo I have from a vintage Winnebago .
Second picture is the same three , mounted differently in my Newmar on Freightliner chassis .

EDIT : Of course the iRV2 computers posted the pictures in the opposite order .

The , electronic box on the left side of what is now the first picture , is the VDC , that contains the bad solder joints , repair of which is detailed in the pdf in my other post .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0242 (640x360).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	346947  
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2021, 11:59 AM   #6

Note that I'm talking about a '02 Journey DL diesel, with a N-S bed. The slide out in the BR has closets and drawers (not the bed in an E-W orientation). In my RV, at the end of the bed frame (that wooden assembly that the mattress rests on), there is a door where you can access the CB's. And you can lift the entire bed platform.

No on the 30-50 amp boxes. By that I think you mean the circuit breaker panel that's on the end of the bed frame. What I'm talking about is under that metal cover you see when you lift the bed up. Until I got new air springs, I used to prop the bed up with a broom handle.

Anyway, under the bed when the platform is lifted is a metal assembly, the upper part you can see there are 3 big bolts. Remove those 3 and that metal panel pulls off. Set it aside. While facing the back wall, look down inside there and on the face nearest you, there are several boxes with big connectors. Those are what I'm taking about.

What I usually do is remove the mattress, lean it up against the extended slide, remove the platform and lean it against the mattress (first marking where the screws are AND marking the alignment of the platform against the back wall), now I have ~full access to the engine after removing that plate. There's also a lower plate for a better view of the engine to tranni connection. Here's a picture of the connectors I'm talking about, on the right side of the cabinet...I took this picture while kneeling on the passenger side of the bedroom.

See all those giant connectors with hundreds of wires? Those are the connectors I'm referring too. Every connector I could, I disconnected and reconnected several times to burnish the contacts. Didn't fully remove the two halves unless it was done easily. In those cases, I sprayed with contact spray. Most of them though, I just moved them in and out 1/4" or so.

And I also wrestled with the engine ECM on the engine and the Tranni TCM on the tranni, accessing those connectors from underneath or up top if I could reach them. Didn't remove them, just wiggled them a bunch.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 12:46 PM   #7

Jim , I hope you took your photo during a serpentine belt replacement.

And a reminder to all ; the VIM , contains important fuses and relays , that need to be checked should engine starting ( or no shifter display ) issues happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0243 (640x360).jpg
Views:	26
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	346949  

Tags
air, rear