Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2020, 07:25 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Recall FL-816 NHTSA #20V-529 FCCC Valve Stem Stabilizers

I wanted to provide some insight to this recall by Freightliner. It was in process for sometime and it was officially release October 30th this year. My experience with this problem since I bought my used 2018 Winnebago Forza 38W this year in May. Very thorough PDI had several issues resolved except one item so I'd have to go back also I forgot to check the tires. Got home decided to check the entire MH once again and this time checked the tires and found all good except one inside rear down to 30 PSI and both valve caps worn from touching the rim. Not good so filled it up checked it a week later when I was heading back down for dealer to finish a repair with the parts in now. Found tire pressure low again and stabilizers off the rim once again. To make a long story short twice they had the local truck tire company repair the extensions and stabilizers, Finally mid-October the dealer replaced the extensions and stabilizers on both inside tires of rear duallies. Sorry setting the stage. So we went on a 2000 mile roundtrip vacation. Checked tires every time we left for the next stage of the trip even had TPMS on them but did have constant communication issues with the RVi Hub, still working that out. Anyway the day before leaving our final stopover from Eastpoint, Fl. to home in Port Charlotte, Fl. checked everything, all tires good. 10 miles from Campground showed inside Drivers rear tire at 37PSI so pulled over, took off TPMS, checked pressure found it right where I set it. Figured it was a intermittent sensor. Got home and was going to install a different set up than the FL rubber stabilizers and extensions tired of waiting for FL to come out with a solution. Called FL with a question on how to remove the center hub only to be told that FL just released the recall with a solution so figured I'd wait and have it done by them since it would be free and should work now. Went out anyway checked the tire pressures on all my tires and found the inside drivers side dually stabilizer off the rim again and the tire pressure at 10PSI. Not happy checked the passenger inside tire pressure, READY FOR THIS, Gone !!! yup gone, extension, stabilizer and all my air. Tire flat, I could not see an inside schrader valve in the tire stem valve either. Called FL back they said they will fix everything though they haven't mentioned if they'll replace my TPMS for that tire yet. They're working with me an a local FL Mobile tech to come up and fix in place the tire since I do not want to drive it with a flat. No idea when it went flat since my RVi communication hub went off line about an hour or so in my 7 hr trip home. I consider that we were very lucky since this was what the recall is about to avoid a disaster like this from happening. I have no clue why, not one but two tires basically flat tires things didn't get worse especially on the highway. The reason for this long story is to warn others to be careful and even then hoping luck is on your side. I've attached a letter on the recall, I'd suggest anyone that you read it to see if you are one on the recall or call FL support and provide them your last 6 digits of your VIN they will tell you if it is. Don't wait for the letter to arrived I did not receive mine yet though I found the recall info after talking with FL so I've attached it. Of course next call is to RVi to find out why the hub keeps failing, similar issues that my buddy is having as well. Please let us know how you make out and be safe. I've also attached some pictures of what this did to my valve extensions and my TPMS at the beginning. The second picture is when the stabilizer fell out after the dealer re-installed it again. Thanks and sorry for the long story.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200710_142752.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	339.8 KB
ID:	308334   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200712_093103.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	308337  

Name:	TPMS 2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	308338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside Flat Passenger side rear tire II .jpg
Views:	45
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	308341  

Name:	Inside Flat Passenger side Rear tire Schrader valve missing II.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	308342  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RMISC-20V529-4175 Recall FL-861.pdf (482.9 KB, 103 views)
dmctlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2020, 09:18 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Luckily I found this and removed the damaged extensions long ago. I just took my coach in for the recall. The fix is to adjust the valve stems to relieve the stress on the extensions, replace the extensions, and replace the grommets.

My service tech also silicones the grommet in so that it doesn't fall out. To do this, use brake cleaner on a clean rag and clean the outside contact surface area of the grommet, and the contact surface area of the wheel, then apply liberal amount of silicone and fit into place. Wipe excess and let cure.

I don't like the 4" extensions they use, I am going to replace mine with 5" or 6" extensions so that I can get to them easier. The caps are way to close to the grommet.
ScotS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:38 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
The FL mobile tech came up , with the recall kit in hand, from Ft. Meyers yesterday to my house since I have one inside flat that has no Schrader valve and though the other one that was 10 psi is filled with extensions removed FL along with the tech are arranging a mobile tire service to come directly to my house in the next day or two to jack it up and replace it with the kit. We looked at the kit it has not only what you spoke of but new tire valves that are angled different which FL told me was the main issue since the other one caused downward pressure on the extensions and pushed out the rubber stabilizers and in turn pushed it to rub against the bottom part of the rim it came through hence the first picture of the the extensions a week after I picked the MH in May. Glad you got yours taken care of. Have you down much traveling since you had the repair? Curious if they're holding up without issues?
Old 11-18-2020, 06:02 AM   #4

If you ran those tires more than 20% low, you need to have them removed and inspected per the DOT requirements. This involves tire removal, internal inspection and over inflation once back on the rim (this is from memory). Find the DOT documents that outline the inspection procedures and find a tire dealer that will do this correctly. First one I went to didn’t, not even sure if they knew about it. This is to prevent a zipper failure, which will wreak havoc.

Went through this a few years back myself on a gas motorhome.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:31 AM   #5

Not to hijack the thread but what tpms are you using. From your description of events and the sender being missing it doesn't seem to be dependable. One tire went below 40 lbs and the other to zero.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:50 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
Not to hijack the thread but what tpms are you using. From your description of events and the sender being missing it doesn't seem to be dependable. One tire went below 40 lbs and the other to zero.
I agree if they worked right I should've had warnings going off when it happened so thats an issues as well. They're RVi's in fact I've had the original set for about 2 years when I bought the DP in May and put them on they were all dead. I called RVi they said toss them they were overnight in me all new ones even 4 that I had for the car. So these are fairly new. I agree my friend has had similar issues and isn't happy either with them. I'll be calling them today to discuss things. See what they say I'll write the answer in later.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:54 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
If you ran those tires more than 20% low, you need to have them removed and inspected per the DOT requirements. This involves tire removal, internal inspection and over inflation once back on the rim (this is from memory). Find the DOT documents that outline the inspection procedures and find a tire dealer that will do this correctly. First one I went to didn’t, not even sure if they knew about it. This is to prevent a zipper failure, which will wreak havoc.

Thanks for the info. And you're right, great point and I'll discuss it with FL today of this concern see what they say if this tire company coming up to my house to do the update is certified to do this.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
Thanks for the info. And you're right, great point and I'll discuss it with FL today of this concern see what they say if this tire company coming up to my house to do the update is certified to do this.

Make sure you have the documentation, I had a couple of tire places try to snowball me like I was stupid.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:07 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post

So to follow up unfortunately I have no idea when they started to leaked down to where I found them at when I checked. I suspect the Pass. Side inboard one went quickly as it lost everything including the Schrader valve in the tire stem as well as the extension. It all could've happened right around the corner or more than 7 hrs. earlier when I left Eastpoint. I did try to find what your were referring to about a DOT inspection or requirement on an issue like this but search high and low with no results. If you recall it in the immediate future please forward to me ASAP. I will discuss it with the FL and the tire company they are going to send to do the work. The tires looks fine but that's not saying there's internal damage that will cause a latent failure so I appreciate the insight, thanks
Thanks.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:23 AM   #10

I am fortunately home and have access to my large computer, where I saved the information and downloaded the pdf file. This should save some searching.

Good luck, hope things work out. Also, I have had many issues maintaining contact with my RVI setup. When we bought our Phaeton this past summer, I couldn't put the hub where I wanted so I moved it forward and simply placed it on the bed while we traveled. I don't recall losing communications once after I did that. You might want to try moving the hub around in your coach to see if the communications issues goes away.

TISB - 33.4 - Inspection Procedures to Identify Potential Sidewall.pdf
Old 11-20-2020, 07:25 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
So to follow up unfortunately I have no idea when they started to leaked down to where I found them at when I checked. I suspect the Pass. Side inboard one went quickly as it lost everything including the Schrader valve in the tire stem as well as the extension. It all could've happened right around the corner or more than 7 hrs. earlier when I left Eastpoint. I did try to find what your were referring to about a DOT inspection or requirement on an issue like this but search high and low with no results. If you recall it in the immediate future please forward to me ASAP. I will discuss it with the FL and the tire company they are going to send to do the work. The tires looks fine but that's not saying there's internal damage that will cause a latent failure so I appreciate the insight, thanks
Thanks.
So have not heard back from the FL mobile tech so I texted him today and asked for an update plus my concern these tires might be damaged goods because of the unknown factor on how long they were driven on without pressure or very little pressure. I requested that they be inspected per DOT guidelines to assure me that the sidewalls haven't been compromised and I won't have a major blowout down the road. I'm waiting for his answer. Also told him I want this fixed before the weekend so we will see what that gets me.....
Old 11-20-2020, 08:00 AM   #12

Quote:
I agree if they worked right I should've had warnings going off when it happened so thats an issues as well. They're RVi's in fact I've had the original set for about 2 years when I bought the DP in May and put them on they were all dead. I called RVi they said toss them they were overnight in me all new ones even 4 that I had for the car. So these are fairly new. I agree my friend has had similar issues and isn't happy either with them. I'll be calling them today to discuss things. See what they say I'll write the answer in later.

I would toss the new ones they sent you !
Your TPMS system should have alerted you immediately. If not, no reason to have them . I can only speak from using the Ezz tire system. I know if it’s a pound off. Very fortunate you git home safe.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:07 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
So FL has Snider Fleet solutions abd FL coming to my house on Monday. They will do a complete inspection of both tires and are bringing a new set if issues found during inspection. Thanks to all especially vettenuts for the Tisbury. Never got to call RVi today my wife had A Dr's MRI appt. So most of the day. Will call tomorrow
Old 11-21-2020, 07:15 AM   #14

I would be interested in how you like Snider, I plan to get tires when we get to Florida and they were one company I was looking at.

Tags
fccc, recall, valve