Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2019, 04:11 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Red exclamation point and warning buzzer.

I am betting a Red exclamation point and buzzer on the dash. I just picked up a used 2008 National Tropical 33' on a Freightliner chassis with the 340hp cummins. This is a low air pressure warning. I was hearing a chirp from the dashboard when going over tracks or a bump but could not tell what it was. It stopped doing it. Today it started and stayed on for 30 seconds or so but went away. I pulled over and noticed that, while the dashboard said low pressure the relief air pressure valve still popped off once a minute or so so there was some pressure in the system. the warning in the manual and set the e-brake while doing it. Also I dumped the air and reset it. It stopped. I released the brake and started driving again and it was fine for the rest of the drive. Does this mean I have a leak? Has anyone had this problem?

I have not yet done any maintenance on this RV. It has 23000mi on it and I plan on doing all of the required maintenance before it goes anywhere. Is there a water purge? Could this do it?

Any suggestions would help. The move from gas to diesel takes a little getting used to but I love it!
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2019, 12:46 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks to another member I now know to search on low air alarm. Turns out that this is not uncommon. I do show full pressure on my gages and the part about the parking brake sometime affecting it is a hint. Apparently the air sensor goes bad. I need to replace it and see. Believe it to be on the frame rail ahead of the DS wheel. There is also a problem with the contacts on the parking brake under the dash so I must check there too. I see that the screws on the hatch over the instrument panel are gone so I wonder... Previous owner may have disconnect the horn and reconnected it when he sold it. Horn is also the turn signal horn and is LOUD. Perhaps a bandied over it would drop it to 90db or so. I will post what I find if I find the answer. Without this forum I would be up the creek!
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Old 05-24-2019, 03:30 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have done the leak down test and there is no drop with the Parking Brake on but there is a leak with the brake off. I am going hunting tomorrow. Can anyone suggest the likely places to start looking?
Old 05-24-2019, 03:53 PM   #4

The dash control may be leaking and then look at the 2 rear brake chambers.

The rear chambers have large springs that apply the brakes when you pull the parking brake button. When you push the button in, that sends air to the spring section, releasing the brakes.

While checking the brake chambers, chock the wheels so it doesn't roll.

https://www.ontario.ca/document/offi...rake-subsystem
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:30 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The dash control may be leaking and then look at the 2 rear brake chambers.
Thanks. Not sure I understand "dash control". Do you mean the control for the parking brake? Is there an electrically actuated valve?
Old 05-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
Thanks. Not sure I understand "dash control". Do you mean the control for the parking brake? Is there an electrically actuated valve?
The yellow button on the dash. It has air lines and a switch on the back.

The valves do go bad and leak air.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:23 PM   #7
HRF

Winnebago Owners Club
I have an 07 Fleetwood on a Freightliner Chassis which may have the same gauge system. I had a similar problem. I discussed with Freightliner and they told me to change all the wires that hook the gauges together for power and data. They sent me a new set of wires and it fixed the problem. Apparently they were aware of the bad wires issue. Good luck.
HRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:51 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRF View Post
I have an 07 Fleetwood on a Freightliner Chassis which may have the same gauge system. I had a similar problem. I discussed with Freightliner and they told me to change all the wires that hook the gauges together for power and data. They sent me a new set of wires and it fixed the problem. Apparently they were aware of the bad wires issue. Good luck.
I called them today. The guy I talked to was good. He said the same thing. IHe sent me a list if the part numbers to order. I am a long way from the dealer so I have to swap them myself. I am trying to get them from the dealer in Miami. So fai I call, get put on hold, leave a message then someone calls back when I am not there or when I am not home and don't have the info so I have to call again ect ect but I should be on the way soon! Yay!
Old 05-30-2019, 04:17 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK! So those dash wires are on the way. Freightliner said that it might be a warranty but not unless I drove 130miles with the brake warning on so I just paid the $170 and ordered them. Next I have to service the air dryers. I need to get canisters for this. I can't for the life of me find out what to get. Does anyone know where that information is? Hard to find.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:49 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You need to know what air systems on your chassis. This doesn't help immediately, but registering for a DTNA account with Freightliner is very helpful. Once your last 6 VIN is put in, everything that was installed for your coach is there. I use it often.

Go to the url link and register for an account.
https://dtnacontent-dtna.prd.freight...h-america.html

The attachment is an example of the info you can obtain once registered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 8.51.55 AM.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	248111  
Old 06-05-2019, 03:02 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The story continues, LOL. I installed the wires and while in there I found an air leak! The housing on one of the larger gauges is cracked and leaking air. Has anyone ever dealt with this? I will probably have to order another gauge. What I am not sure of is how to get these hoses off of the gauge. Anybody know?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_155551.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	248680  
Old 06-07-2019, 12:12 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just in case someone comes along with the same question this is a "Chinese handcuff" fitting. The hose is pressed in the direction of the fitting and the collar on the hose end of the fitting can be pressed in also. Once that collar goes in then it is held in while the hose is pulled out. If replacing the gauge just cut the hoses flush and push into the new gauge.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:28 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just installed a new gauge which fixed the problem I had been trying to find a used one without any luck. I got this from Freightliner, one of only 6 left, and they gave me a break down to $675 shipped to $459 shipped. Problem solved.