Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2022, 05:08 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Replacing Magnadyne

Just finished replacing the Magnadyne M11 navigation/stereo unit in our rig. Thought we would post some tips if anyone else was interested in upgrading.
For the Freightliner, Amazon sells a direct plug-in harness that will save some time. The stereo we bought had a harness also and the two just needed to be wired together. The wires are standard colors so as long as it was done correctly the first time, all you have to do is connect each wire to the same color wire from the other harness. We used solder seal wire connectors to make all of the connections. I hadn't used these before and they really make the job easy! Just plug in the wires and heat the connector. The bead of solder inside melts into the wires soldering them together and the casing shrinks to grab the wires so it saves a bunch of steps.

We found that two of the wires on our original unit were reversed and had to be traced. It turned out they were reversed and then reversed again in the next harness so that they could be wired directly in our harness. It was strange, but it worked out.
We went with an Atoto S8. I won't review it here, and there are many alternatives, but so far we are very happy with it. It's fast, bright, and has all the bells and whistles: GPS, steering wheel controls, a 4G modem, wifi, any map app you want, and a bunch of other stuff. It has plug ins for front facing cameras, TPMS, birds eye reverse view, you name it. We picked it because the screen floats, meaning it can be positioned higher or lower and angled toward the driver.

This is the harness we used: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CTLCRK6...ing=UTF8&psc=1

These are the solder seal connectors: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HCNTZ2Z...ing=UTF8&psc=1

This is the Atoto unit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085C6KLFX...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2022, 04:47 PM   #2

Are you selling you M11 by any chance? I have an m9 I would love to change out

Thanks
Dksleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:11 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like a great upgrade and one I may consider for my Navngo. The connectors are new to me and would save time.

I used Wago automotive connectors with a simple flip lever connector then taped those down. Solder seal seems better.
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote