Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2015, 07:43 PM   #1

Right front wheel,,,,, dripping oil

Well, got home from our maiden voyage this afternoon, got out of the coach and smelled 90w oil. Looked at the right front wheel and the outside of it was covered, dipping even.

Pulled the center hubcap and laying inside of it was the rubber bearing plug. It had fell out. It was torn, and it appeared someone put it back in bad shape. (only way I can figure it got torn was somone removing it, and then put is back that way) Went to the local auto parts store, and they had one. Whoo Hoo!

There is a white plastic ring around the plug, with a line that says minimal fill. Hard to see the oil in there, but whatis the max fill?

Figured lets see how the other side is,,,, and it had a black ring around the plug, no way to tell how deep the oil is. The plug is in much better shape on that side! Didn't want to mess with it.

L.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2015, 07:51 PM   #2

Just went through this with mine. One side began to sweat so I replaced both cap assemblies at the same time. They are not expensive and you will be able to see the proper oil level in the new ones.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:00 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oil level should be just below the lower edge of the hole or at least it was on out last three DP's
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Oil level should be just below the lower edge of the hole or at least it was on out last three DP's
The hole that the rubber plug goes in?

L.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:13 PM   #5
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
The hole that the rubber plug goes in?

L.
Yes.................oil level just below the hole the plug goes in.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #6

Google Stemco, zoom in on the hub pictures to see the high and low marks.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:00 PM   #7

Looks like you got off with an easy (and inexpensive) fix for that one!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
The Freightliner manual I have says to fill the oil hub no more than 1/4" above the minimum fill line. Do Not fill it to the bottom of the fill hole until it runs out.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:42 AM   #9

Are you 100% sure the oil came from the hub side? When I flew down to TX to pick up our rig the front right tire was SOAKED with oil on the backside! Had a detailer dowse it down with simple green.
I stopped by the Autoparts store & picked up a bottle of oil for the hub & kept an eye on it from TX. to NH.

NEVER pulled to the left, might have been the ABS system that kept it from pulling.

I do my own work & when I got home I called Freightliner of NH and ordered fron shoues & seals...Total cost for parts was about $130.00 Inexpensive if you do your own work. Not sure what one would be charged for a front axle shoe & seal job. Was real easy with the proper tools.
For those of you that do your own work, I purchased a torque multiplier and a tire dolly. best tool purchase to date. Sitting on a stool I can have on eof the tires off in about 10 minutes. Tire dolly makes mounting/dismounting those 250lb tires effortless.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Well, got home from our maiden voyage this afternoon, got out of the coach and smelled 90w oil. Looked at the right front wheel and the outside of it was covered, dipping even.

Pulled the center hubcap and laying inside of it was the rubber bearing plug. It had fell out. It was torn, and it appeared someone put it back in bad shape. (only way I can figure it got torn was somone removing it, and then put is back that way) Went to the local auto parts store, and they had one. Whoo Hoo!

There is a white plastic ring around the plug, with a line that says minimal fill. Hard to see the oil in there, but what is the max fill?

Figured lets see how the other side is,,,, and it had a black ring around the plug, no way to tell how deep the oil is. The plug is in much better shape on that side! Didn't want to mess with it.

L.
Lloyd in S.C.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:00 PM   #11

Note that even w/o the cap the oil will stay in the hub! I had a red cover somehow pop off and when I discovered it I had no oil loos and the cap was weged in the hun cap! Those plugs have SMALL vent hole.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote