Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2019, 01:31 PM   #15
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
XCR Chassis

Anyone mount a Safety-T-Plus to a XCR chassis with Newmar's Comfort Steer?

SLS
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2019, 03:07 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
Anyone mount a Safety-T-Plus to a XCR chassis with Newmar's Comfort Steer?

SLS
Why would want to add a STP to Comfort Drive? It seems to me to be a bit redundant and that they might possible work against each other. I would call Safety-T-Plus and ask them.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #17
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
I sold & installed STP for 15 years and have the experience and knowledge as to what they do and how they work.
Comfort Steer is good but IMHO STP does somethings better. I run my CS full-on all the time.
The only reason i do not have a STP on my 2017 DSDP 4326 is the last time i checked with STP they did not have the bell crank and bracket(s) for a coach with CS.
I have logged over 850K miles on seven new coaches. This is the only coach i have not had a STP. I'm at 42K on this coach.
Some may think it is redundant but i think they would complement each other. I do not find that CS has a center-point. It just has a lineal resistance that is adjustable.

The above is my opinion and experience.

SLS
Old 04-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
I finally got a chance to drive the coach with the safe-t-plus installed further than to the shop and back this past weekend and it is noticeably better handling. However, I think it needs a slight adjustment to make it perfect. It seems to have a slight drift to the right. I feel I need to keep just a little left pressure on the wheel to keep it tracking straight. I think I can make this adjustment myself, but I want to make sure I move the tie rod bracket the right direction. My thinking is that it needs to be moved in the same direction as the drift. So in my case I should nudge the bracket slightly to the right (passenger side). Is that correct?
You probably already got this taken care of, but I think someone said the best suggestion was to drive it on a nice straight road and find the 12 o'clock position and mark it. Then you loosen the bolts, set the position, and then tighten them back down.
drivintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:55 PM   #19
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivintin View Post
You probably already got this taken care of, but I think someone said the best suggestion was to drive it on a nice straight road and find the 12 o'clock position and mark it. Then you loosen the bolts, set the position, and then tighten them back down.
Yes.......once you get it right it will never change unless a front end parts wears out.
Just loosen the U-Clamp bolts and just move it a smidgen.......Lol
Old 04-10-2019, 08:09 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
Yes.......once you get it right it will never change unless a front end parts wears out.
Just loosen the U-Clamp bolts and just move it a smidgen.......Lol
Well, my question still remains, which direction should I move the bracket? I know it will be just a smidgen, (maybe 1/16 inch or less), but which direction? My thinking is to move the bracket the same direction as the drift.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #21
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
Depends on which side of the tie rod it is mounted.
If you go the wrong way, you will know it. Then go back twice the distance.
If you can lift the front wheels off ground with jacks. And, if your alignment is correct. You will see the steering wheel is not be at 12 O'clock. Loosen the bolts, turn wheel to 12 O'clock then tighten bolts.
SLS
Old 05-23-2019, 04:27 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
Should be? Do you really want to take the chance ? A pair of 12 ton jack stands at Harbor Freight for less than a hundred bucks would be a prudent purchase.
I love it! I remember working on by old F53 Coachmen and sitting on the inside of the wheel well using the jacks to raise the coach. I decided that if they gave way I had plenty of room.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:17 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Well, I have still not gotten my STP adjusted perfectly It seems no matter how I have adjusted it, it is just a little off. Right now, it seems I have to apply a slight bit of pressure to the left to keep it from drifting right. I get it tracking straight and take my hands off the wheel it starts to drift right after a fairly short distance. I have tried all the tricks I have seen published, and just can't get it perfect. The DW says I am being too picky and it is probably just the crown in the road. I would think this could be accounted for. I have had the alignment checked and am told it is perfect. What am I missing?
Old 06-11-2019, 12:39 PM   #24

I had to make 2 adjustments on our 2016 36GH Phaeton. I used masking tape to indicate where I was holding the steering wheel to keep the coach straight (per instructions from Safe-T-Plus} , had my wife to make sure the steering wheel was aligned with the masking tape, loosened the bracket, tightened it and drove it again. It was still pulling to the right, so I marked the steering wheel the second time; however, before I loosened the bracket, I turned the steering wheel and additional 1/8 inch or so in the same direction and held in position to loosen and secure the bracket again on the center link.

This corrected the pulling to one side and continues to track straight for the last 30,000+ miles since installation.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by surcy View Post
I had to make 2 adjustments on our 2016 36GH Phaeton. I used masking tape to indicate where I was holding the steering wheel to keep the coach straight (per instructions from Safe-T-Plus} , had my wife to make sure the steering wheel was aligned with the masking tape, loosened the bracket, tightened it and drove it again. It was still pulling to the right, so I marked the steering wheel the second time; however, before I loosened the bracket, I turned the steering wheel and additional 1/8 inch or so in the same direction and held in position to loosen and secure the bracket again on the center link.

This corrected the pulling to one side and continues to track straight for the last 30,000+ miles since installation.
Man! I wish I could say the same. I think I have made 5 adjustments so far. My procedure has been exactly like yours. I think I get it right on the test drive, but after driving for a few hours I realize I am having to apply pressure one way or the other when on a straight stretch of road. I made another adjustment today. I made a scribe mark on the tie rod to mark the location of the bracket before loosening the bracket so I could see exactly how much I moved it. I even measured the distance I moved it to be 1/16 of an inch. I will be taking a short drive tomorrow morning to have the oil changed, we will see if that does it.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:00 PM   #26

I have installed 3: C Class, A Gas, and the Phaeton. The first two took multiple attempts to get centered, but I hit on the second adjustment with the Phaeton. You will eventually hit on it!!!!
Old 06-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I think I may have finally got it right. After making the adjustment yesterday, I drove it about 25 miles this morning to get the oil changed and I was able to get it to track straight down the road with my hands off the wheel for maybe a quarter mile. I did not feel I had to keep pressure on the wheel in either direction to get it to track straight, so maybe finally I have it. I guess the ultimate test will be on our next all day trip. But I have a pretty high level of confidence that I finally have it right.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
I think I may have finally got it right. After making the adjustment yesterday, I drove it about 25 miles this morning to get the oil changed and I was able to get it to track straight down the road with my hands off the wheel for maybe a quarter mile. I did not feel I had to keep pressure on the wheel in either direction to get it to track straight, so maybe finally I have it. I guess the ultimate test will be on our next all day trip. But I have a pretty high level of confidence that I finally have it right.
That's good news Larry....It's a good feeling when you finally get it tracking straight. The STP was one of the very first upgrades I installed after buying my coach over 2 years ago and I've never regretted the purchase. I guess I got lucky...I did the install and only had to make one adjustment and it tracks very straight like yours.

I followed the manufacturer's adjustment instructions in the install manual...Drove it down the interstate, marked the tracking deflection of the steering wheel, pulled over, made the adjustment, and never looked back! It really was pretty easy on my coach.

I love how it helps me to stay relaxed on long drives which keeps me from being really worn out at the end of the day!
rangerb3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install