Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2021, 07:55 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Serpentine Belt

Has anyone personally replaced the belt on a 6.7 ISL rear radiator coach. Just looking to see how much of a pain it’s going be.
barnegatepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2021, 10:23 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
This one is on my mind too. It looks less complicated than a Dodge truck (less stuff turning), but access isn’t as good. And it’s not very good in the truck either.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:35 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
if you have worked on cars and replace the belt, then you can do it on a cummins
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:19 AM   #4

Belt

I just replaced the alternator and belt on my 2003 Cross Country. The worst part was the one bolt was froze in the alternator mount and getting the new belt over the fan. Not really that bad. 5.9 cummins
oldfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:43 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnegatepic View Post
Has anyone personally replaced the belt on a 6.7 ISL rear radiator coach. Just looking to see how much of a pain it’s going be.
Yes...it isn't the most fun. I found that the tensioner release is done from underneath and then release the belt. Feed new belt from the top. It helps to have a helper while installing at the top.

Good luck. Note sure how it happened but I put too much pressure on the tensioner last time and broke it. Be careful.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:46 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by mevman View Post
Yes...it isn't the most fun. I found that the tensioner release is done from underneath and then release the belt. Feed new belt from the top. It helps to have a helper while installing at the top.

Good luck. Note sure how it happened but I put too much pressure on the tensioner last time and broke it. Be careful.
Good advice - thanks!
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:51 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So I found that taking off the air cleaner and the brackets that hold the filer made it much easier to actually stick my head up in there. With that it was a very easy job. I did not replace the belt. That would have to be a two man job.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:47 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Make sure you draw a pic of the routing diagram before you take the old one off. You can also call Freightliner with the last 6 digits of your VIN and they will email you the correct diagram.

NAPA sells a belt tensioner tool that allows you to easily (relatively) loosen the idlers to get the belt on.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:20 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When you do replace it. Keep the old one as a spare.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:44 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
So I found that taking off the air cleaner and the brackets that hold the filer made it much easier to actually stick my head up in there. With that it was a very easy job. I did not replace the belt. That would have to be a two man job.
That gives you room to see...but I don't see how tension is relieved from tensioner at that angle. Hmmmm....maybe I attacked the issue the wrong way.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:05 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mevman View Post
That gives you room to see...but I don't see how tension is relieved from tensioner at that angle. Hmmmm....maybe I attacked the issue the wrong way.
I should’ve said also there is plenty of room to get your hands in there and do the work to remove the tensioner also as you can now push up or away from you. The belt on the other hand is a two man job.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:55 AM   #12

Quote:
I should’ve said also there is plenty of room to get your hands in there and do the work to remove the tensioner also as you can now push up or away from you. The belt on the other hand is a two man job.
If your coach a Horton fan clutch you will see that there is a bracket that goes from the engine block to the sensor on the fan clutch.
1.There is a bolt in the middle of the fan sensor bracket.
2.Unplug the sensor wire cut a few try wraps and remove the bolt.
3. Release the belt tension via the belt tensioner. 1/2 drive ratchet. Below access
4.You can now remove the old belt.
5.You will notice that the belt is between the engine serp pully and the Horton sensor bracket.
6.You will have to slide the belt over top of the fan blade.
7. Position belt on crank pulley.
8.Position belt on fan blade pulley
9.Ensure belt is between fan blade pulley and sensor arm.
6.Re install try wraps and bolt for sensor arm.
7.Flat side of belt goes around water pump.
8.Rib side of belt goes around alternator
9.Rib side of belt goes around air unit.
10.Apply tension to belt tension unit.
11.Flat side of belt is on belt tension unit from crank pulley.

This install is for an 2008 Fleetwood XC, ISB 6.7. Complete with a Horton fan clutch

Get a picture of belt route from Freightliner!!!!!!
basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:40 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Just had mine done on the 8.9. My mechanic said he has a younger, smaller guy that worked on it. Still no fun for the small guy that is used to working on engines. I looked at it and thought now is the time to have a side rad.
Saved my old belt with 40,000 miles and it looks great, but its 12 years old. Preventative maintenance beats being stuck on the side of the road any day.
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
if you have worked on cars and replace the belt, then you can do it on a cummins
Ha!
Not even close to accurate. Working on cars is childs play compared to ANY rear radiator RV coach, no matter which motor is in it. Of course a side radiator is idealistic but, we all don't have that luxury. Some rear radiator coaches are a tad easier to gain access to important maintenance items like belts than others. Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote