Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #1

Shocks for an XC-R IFS Chassis

We're pushing 35,000 miles on the 08 Allegro Bus and I'm starting to see some ribbon type wear on a front tire. The last time I saw this type wear on a tire, the problem was as a result of bad front shocks on a previous Class A. Once we replaced the shocks with Bilstein's the problems went away..

Unfortunately, Bilstein does not make shocks for the XC-R chassis (with the ZF IFS front end).

Does anyone know of any QUALITY shocks that will fit this chassis? I will not put Sachs' back on unless I have absolutely no choice.

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2010, 11:22 PM   #2

Other than Koni there is nothing else of quality that I am aware of being available for the IFS suspension. I just wish they had the FSD shocks available for the front. They are however only available for the rear. For the front IFS suspension Koni has only the standard (adjustable) shock available.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If these are Goodyear G670's, are you sure the "ribbon wear" is not the river wear problem that this tire is known for? If it is, changing shocks will not fix it. The problem is endemic in the tire. Goodyear says the tire will wear out before it becomes a problem.

I'm going to be in the market for shocks soon too (54k miles) and I have the ZF IFS like you. Looks like Koni's is the way to go.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
If these are Goodyear G670's, are you sure the "ribbon wear" is not the river wear problem that this tire is known for? If it is, changing shocks will not fix it. The problem is endemic in the tire. Goodyear says the tire will wear out before it becomes a problem.

I'm going to be in the market for shocks soon too (54k miles) and I have the ZF IFS like you. Looks like Koni's is the way to go.
No, they're Michelin 295/80's. I previously had a Diesel Bounder with G670's and had similar wear on them. After 3 alignments and numerous checks, my son recommended changing the shocks. A new set of Bilstein's and I had NO further problems for the next 25,000 miles, where I traded it.When I took the Sachs off the Bounder it was no doubt they were bad at less than 20k. I'm not sure what Goodyear calls river wear, but the wear on my LF tire is about an inch wide+-, one groove in from the outside and varies a bit in width and track. Rig runs straight, smooth and true all the way to 85+. Shocks did it last time, so I'm going to do it again.

By the way, the Bounder and now the Bus sported Freightliner chassis. I love the Freightliner and chose it specifically for the Allegro Bus, but the Sachs shock absorbers suck.

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Your description sure sounds like "riverwear", but I haven't heard of it on a Michelin before. A slightly wavy pattern at or adjacent to the shoulder where the tread joins the sidewall.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #6

My 2004 Meridian on FL chassis straight front axle with Michelin 255/80s and 43,000 is starting to show the same thing on the outer rib on both sides of the coach, but the passenger's side is the worse. But due to age, it looks like I'm about ready for a new set of tires anyway. I got rid of the Sachs within 2 years and installed the Koni adjustable shocks all around. They helped the purposing some but didn't notice much improvement anyplace else, especially hitting the bridge joints and highways sections which I was hoping would relieve some of the hard jolts at those places. Tried all 3 adjustable points but the jolts just got worse with the higher adjustments.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Tried all 3 adjustable points but the jolts just got worse with the higher adjustments.
Wagonmaster2, I understand that the FSD shocks make a difference. This might just be something new to see at some point.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #8

I stopped the "river wear" on my Goodyears on my previous Frieghtliner chassis by having both the front and the rear axles aligned. I first just did the front but that didn't fix the problem but when I also did the rear it stopped wearing. I understand that you cannot adjust some of the rear axles. I had this "river wear" with brand new Bilsteins all around.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote