Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2021, 06:29 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Steering box noise

I have a 2017 Freightliner XC chassis with ISL 380 engine. The coach had sat for several years and only has 9600 miles on it when I bought it. After a few miles of driving (warm up time) there is a very loud noise coming from the front end. It seems to be coming from the steering box or somewhere in the front suspension. There is generally no noise when driving straight - maybe a little whine. However, any turn of the steering wheel creates this very loud noise. Once warmed up - the coach does NOT have to be in motion to generate this noise. You can be sitting at idle and generate the same noise just by turning the wheel. It sounds exactly like older cars did when the power steering fluid was low. I have checked - reservoir is full and there is no evidence of any leakage. Left or right turn makes no difference.

I took it to the local Freightliner dealer for inspection. After a test drive, they said everything was normal and this was just an issue with 2017 and other years. I have a real hard time believing that. We had the exact same chassis and engine in another 2017 RV and never had any issues like this. A VIN check did not show up any recalls on this coach/chassis.

Greatly appreciate any insight or advice that other members may have. Thanks.
bobkathy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2021, 07:57 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mines done that from day 1. It is OK.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:29 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
wonder what the bone-head at Freightliner was thinking if he thought this was a good design idea.
Old 05-25-2021, 03:19 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have done some more research - a FCCC spokesman told my local Freightliner dealer that he gets 2 or 3 calls per day about the steering noise. My steering gear box had 1 1/2 inch play in it and steering wheel was canted. Alignment and toe-in were perfect. Coach never been in a wreck or damaged. Ended up having to replace steering fluid pump also because it was not producing enough fluid pressure to safely operate the Steering gear box. Would love to hear how many others this affects.
Old 05-25-2021, 03:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkathy95 View Post
I have done some more research - a FCCC spokesman told my local Freightliner dealer that he gets 2 or 3 calls per day about the steering noise. My steering gear box had 1 1/2 inch play in it and steering wheel was canted. Alignment and toe-in were perfect. Coach never been in a wreck or damaged. Ended up having to replace steering fluid pump also because it was not producing enough fluid pressure to safely operate the Steering gear box. Would love to hear how many others this affects.

You need to tell us WHAT STEERING BOX YOU HAVE.

Without that we can't really give you sage advice.
Old 05-25-2021, 03:32 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Steering box # is TRW THP60015
Old 06-16-2021, 09:03 AM   #7

Steering slop

I had a Fleetwood XC chassis that had a lot of slop in the steering found it to be the bell crank. I was told to buy a super steer bell crank that has ball bearings to smooth things up. I did buy the new bell crank but sold the rv before the install. So if you decide this could be the issue contact me.
PDPage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, steering