Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2021, 08:14 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Strange recall letter

Purchased my coach Feb. 2019 and got a recall letter for the PDM in May 2019.
Took the MH to a Western Star shop in June 2019 to have the recall done and they found it was fine.

Lost the right side tail lights, July 2021 and Western Star replaced the PDM under warranty. I was told it couldn't be replaced under the recall because that had been completed 2 years prior.

Well yesterday I opened the mail and there was another recall letter from Daimler for the same PDM recall. I guess this deserves a call to Freightliner in the morning.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2021, 09:28 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What's a PDM?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
What's a PDM?

Power Distribution Module
Suburbazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks like they have a LOT of problems with that. Let us know what they wind up doing for you.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 02:34 PM   #5

I just got the letter expanding the recall to my 2019 chassis. Sounds like the OP will be in the "already paid for repairs" category.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:31 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Called Freightliner today. The rep. indicated that the 2nd recall was do to the fact that even after the initial recall proved some to be fine, there were still later failures of those same PDM's.

He then added that since mine was replaced in August 21', I would have the new version. It was replaced as a "no charge" warranty.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:35 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just got my letter yesterday, called the local FL repair location and attempted to setup a time to have it checked out. Was told they need to have the motorhome for at least 2 weeks to determine what model PDM mine required. I asked them why they couldn't determine that from the VIN and why 2 weeks just to look at the unit to determine the PDM required. Didn't really get an answer to either so I just said thanks but no thanks.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:29 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
What is it with these clowns , my local dealer told me the same thing.

My RV is sitting safe and clean in it's garage plugged in but you want me to leave it in your lot for 2-3 week while you figure things out and order parts ?

How about I bring it by at an agreed time you look at it , order parts and I bring it back when the parts are in stock ??

Called Daimler and they agreed but said they have no control over their dealers . In the same breath he said " take it to Gaffney"
petewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:33 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonK View Post
I just got my letter yesterday, called the local FL repair location and attempted to setup a time to have it checked out. Was told they need to have the motorhome for at least 2 weeks to determine what model PDM mine required. I asked them why they couldn't determine that from the VIN and why 2 weeks just to look at the unit to determine the PDM required. Didn't really get an answer to either so I just said thanks but no thanks.
The first time I had my PDM checked it took all of 15 minutes while I sat in the customer lounge. All the modules have a part number so if your service provider can read, he can find the replacement part on his computer. Two weeks is ridiculous.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:40 PM   #10

I got three recalls on my 2020 Horizon 42 Q
1. PDM -2 or 3 hours
2. Fuel rail - 4 hours
3. Dash light needs to be reflashed - 6 hours

As of now, there is about 12 hours of recall work.
I still haven’t brought it in because Tracy's Freightliner in NY state ( monopoly ) says I’m at the end of the line, the OTR trucks come first.

So I’ll wait for now.

BTW, I was at Forest City two weeks ago for regular service and Winnie didn’t have time to do it either.
Maybe when I go for service in the Spring I can get the recalls done at Winnie. Otherwise I’m just going to wait till I can get a spot near home. We need a bigger Freightliner service center here. Maybe Great Lakes from Ohio can come and build one like the one in Monreoville, OH. Now, that’s a nice one
How is it that in Binghamton, NY Freightliner has 6 bays ( the middle of gas fracking on the east coast ) and a Freightliner service center in the middle of nowhere in Ohio has 20 bays?
I was told there is another one near by, Yepper. It’s an hour away Sherwood, good people, but it has 3 bays and backed up over 6 weeks.
There are thousands of water trucks here, thousand of other gas well trucks. No increase in Freightliner bays in 15 yrs
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:57 PM   #11
jrs

Had mine replaced recently because our left rear directional signal was so faint you could barely see it.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:40 PM   #12

FWIW, I took my coach to FL last Monday. The service writer went out and recorded the serial number on my rear PDM. He then checked parts and determined replacement was not in stock, but FL would overnight to their location. I picked up the coach the next day and to my surprise they had also done the Cummins fuel rail recall. This stuff doesn't have to be painful, you just have to find the right Freightliner service center.

BTW, I used Truck Centers Foristell, MO location.

Tags
recall