Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2008, 09:45 AM   #71

Well, sounds like a sales pitch to me. Please pass his explanation on to us. I'd like to hear his logic because the facts don't seem to support it. Since the ride height valves effectively isolate the left and right air bags and are slow acting (they don't react at all for fast acting bumps) with an even slower "bleed through" than the SuperSteer orfices additional "restrictions" (which is all they are) in the line only serve to slow down leveling of the coach. The person I spoke to on the phone concurred with this analysis. Now, my guess is this person has been told to stop saying this because it impacts sales of these things.

Appears to me what we have is a bit of stretched truth marketing and wishful thinking. I truly believe these make a HUGE difference on the front but the simple mechanics of the rear with two height control valves does not support the wild claims of making a difference on the rear. All one has to do is look at the specs of the height control valves and the plumbing diagram of the vehicle to confirm for themselves. No amount of marketing or wishful thinking will change the way the suspension really works.

Ron
recurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2008, 09:56 AM   #72

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Actually the dual control valves on the rear contribute to exaggerating the side to side roll when crossing a curb or small bump at an angle. The valves may be isolated, but the impact on your coach is not isolated from those two valves moving in opposite directions at the same time. Because there is no coordinated control of these two independent valves, they end up fighting with each other as one side of the coach is low and the other is high. They each react at the same time in opposite directions, creating an over reaction to the initial out of level condition. The SS MCU slows down this over reaction of the opposing valaves and brings the coach to a stable position faster. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be true if the ride height valves were fast acting but they are not. By design they are very slow acting. Ever notice how long it takes for your coach to pump up and level out? Well that's how slow they react. If they weren't designed that way they would be going crazy and pumping your coach up and down and you'd be hearing all kinds of air releases every time you hit a bump - which they do not.

Real data on how this stuff works does not support your claims about the rear axel (or Mr. Henderson's) and there is no value in debating sales quotes vs. technical facts so you can believe what you want if it suits you or you can do a little research yourself and confirm the technical facts.

Ron
recurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #73
JRP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Real data on how this stuff works does not support your claims about the rear axel </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only claim I make is that the product corrected the rear end wobble many of us experience with the stock XC suspension. Thats based on my own actual results, not based on anyones sales pitch. if the product didnt work as advertised you'd be reading all about the complaints here and elsewhere. instead the feedback here and elsewhere is almost unanimously positive. except for this single consipiracy theorist who seems to have his own agenda.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> there is no value in debating sales quotes vs. technical facts </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats a statement we can all agree on. its futile to argue with someone like you who is so biased they insist on ignoring the facts.

Pull your head out of your book of theories and do some research of your own by talking to some folks who actually use the product. seems you'd rather hide behind technical theories than accept practical realities.

The real data that matters most is those who have installed these units see an immediate improvement in rear end wobble reduction. Nothing in your mis-interpretation of "technical facts" can erase that real world fact. I drove my coach for 2 years with the constant annoying rear end roll in and out of parking lots, ignoring many sales pitches and waiting for a proven solution to the issue. after installing these SS units on the rear there was an immediate drastic reduction in that annoying rear end wobble. from what I read I'm not alone in that result.

Jim
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #74

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by recurry:
Well, sounds like a sales pitch to me.... the simple mechanics of the rear with two height control valves does not support the wild claims of making a difference on the rear. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I find it odd Ron, that you insist that the MCU's will make no difference on the rear axle, when it doesn't sound like you even have them installed on your coach, i.e. real world experience. There are many people here that do, hence the reason why this thread is 8 pages long.

By the way, I see you're new here, welcome to the forum. Most people start off their journey here a little less antagonistic.

Speaking for myself, my claims are not wild.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #75

So, I just picked my rig up from getting the SS MC units installed on the front and the rear. Here is all I can say---- OMG !!!! How can such an inexpensive small product make such a dramatic change to how my coach handles. These things are great !!!! It now feels like I am driving my Denali..

Know matter what anyone says, I am sold on these and will fully recommend them to others.

Mike...
Buster661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:22 PM   #76

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To narrow it down to practical experience, my cat has not thrown-up in the over 1000 miles we've put on the coach since installing the MCUs. Included in those is the back roads from Macon to Commerce Georgia bypassing Atlanta. In the past, it was not uncommon for him have this problem two or three times on the first day of travel or anytime the road got rough. Mark me another satisfied customer. I don't care how they work, they work!
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #77

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Let me say from the beginning my coach handled well. The only problem was the speed bump boggie, it would literally through things across the coach. That is fixed, but I really can't notice any great improvements otherwise. I think most of the handling issues once the coach is set up correctly are driver related. People over compensate for wind gusts, etc and the wobble begins. Other than an emergency situation correct slow and easy and many problems will disappear. JMO
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:52 PM   #78

Damon Owners Club
After reading ALL the posts on this I am sold on the MCU's for both front and rear. I will be ordering these and have them put on (I cannot work on my coach at my house and really don't trust my skills for this anyhow) shortly.

I have one other question. Does anyone also have the Safe-T-Plus installed on their coach along with the MCU's? I had the Safe-T-Plus on the gasser and liked what it did for the ride on it.
The Woodieboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #79

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sean, I have the Safe-T-Plus, the MCUs, Freightliner (Gaffney) 4 wheel alignment and ride height adjustment, coach weighed and tire pressure dropped to reflect load (102 front - 93 rear) with a couple extra pounds for margin of safety. The Safety Plus has helped with the steering in windy situations and trucks passing. It did nothing for the ride. The alignment and adjustments also helped the steering. The MCUs made an unbelievable difference in both the ride and steering control. Adjusting the air pressure to match the load has greatly enhanced the ride. I think it can still be better. My last step will be to replace the Sachs shocks with Konis. That should smooth out the rest of the jarring and banging. One other thing - I'll be replacing the air in the tires with nitrogen. It should make for more stable pressure. I had it done on my Saturn (at dealer recommendation) and it has kept the press the same in all four tires. I've had real good luck with the Pressure Pro, old system - low pressure only, in monitoring the pressure. I also have someone else do the installations.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:21 AM   #80

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jim,

I hate to go off topic, but I was curious about the addition of the Safe-T-Plus to your DP. I had Safe-T-Plus on my old gasser, as the MH exhibited quite a bit of lane wander and was affected alot by side winds and semi's. The Safe-T-Plus was a big improvement.

On my DP, I don't experience hardly any of those problems. I have thought about adding the Safe-T-Plus anyway for the safety benefit in the case of a front tire blow-out, but was worried that I might wasting my hard-earned $$.

Has it made a huge improvement to your handling?

Craig

Old 04-12-2008, 11:44 AM   #81

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Craig, in a word "no". I've experienced a lot of play in my steering. I put the Safety-T-Plus on to try and help that problem. Marginal results at best. It helped "a little" with wind, natural or man made, not enough that I would pay the money again. What it will do if I experience a blow-out, I hope I never know. Ride and handling improvements I would put in this order: 1) MCUs, (big time improvement ride and handling ) 2) Weigh and match the air pressure to the weight (smoothed the ride considerably ), 3) Alignment & ride height adjustment (made a noticeable difference in steering ). I think adding new shocks will get it about as good as it is going to get. I'm very close to satisfied, I think Koni's will put me over the top.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:40 AM   #82

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Jim. I've done everything on your list except for the height adjustment. My coach handles very well and the ride is a lot better than my old gasser. It currently has Bilstein shocks, and while I wouldn't mind a softer ride, I'm not sure that a different shock will make a noticable difference in my case. Thanks for the feedback.

Craig

Old 04-21-2008, 05:12 AM   #83

Damon Owners Club
Thanks for the info Jim. We have done all of the things you have mentioned. I even go so far as to weigh the coach when we take different trips. We basically travel two ways, weekends and not loaded very much, and one or two long trips a year loaded more heavy. I keep the tires inflated appropriatley.

I also love Nitrogen (have it in every one of my vehicles) but am having a hard time finding a dealer with the room to get the coach in to do the drain and fill.

The MCU's and Safe-T-Plus go on this Friday. All I'm looking for the Safe-T-Plus to do is take some of the hard edge off the large wind gusts and car carriers when they fly by. And as an insurance policy should we ever have a blow out.

We have a trip to Atlanta in about 10 days so I'll get some good feedback on how these mods worked.

On, and I treated myself to an Ultraperformance chip for my C7...
The Woodieboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:04 AM   #84

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sean & Eddie,

Check out your Saturn dealer for the nitrogen. Mine said they can do the coach. Also, check with your truck tire dealers. Dave Howell Tires handles the big truck tires locally and they said they would have nitrogen available later this summer.