Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2007, 07:11 AM   #1

Official iRV2 Sponsor

When I moved from my truck conversion motorhome with a very stiff suspension, almost no side to side motion and a 14,700 lb leaf spring front end which beat me to death, the evolution chassis on my Winnebago Vectra was a nice change. But I quickly found that I had a unsettling amount of side to side motion on curves at most any speed and a decent amount of front end dive while braking.

So I was contemplating going to the Koni shocks but I did not want to loose that soft ride I had with the Sach's. Joe-K had pointed out the Super Steer Motion Control Units, but the price seemed high for something I really had no info on and very little feedback I could find on the internet. The Motion Control units basically slow the amount of air entering and leaving the airbags. On the front end of the 06 Evolution chassis there is a single ride height adjuster and very large 1/2" airlines which allows the the transfer of air from side to side very quickly. My chassis also seemed to dump alot of air under acceleration from the front end and if I came upon a corner at just the right time the front end would bottom out. I have checked and rechecked the ride height and I am dead on after adjustments with the chassis spec's

After a few more unsettling outings I finally bit the bullet and talked with Scott at Super Steer and went ahead and ordered a set for the front and back. On my 06 Vectra the front airlines are 1/2" and the rear 1/4". Install was really easy, dump the air in tha bags and than simply cut the airline 3-6" from the top of the airbag and slide the motion control unit on to both sides. The units have slip on locking air fittings so installation takes about 10 seconds with more time spent getting under the rig to the airbags.

For my test I ran 2 1/2 hours on the back roads of eastern Ohio on into Pennsylvania to our Memorial Day outing. It was like I was driving a totally different well handling rig. I have made alot of chassis mod's over the years on different RV's I have owned and this ranked at the top as most improving a issue I have had with handling. Cornering on off camber hilly 2 lane roads was amazing, very little front end dive when you apply the brakes and very little roll as you made the corner. I cannot tell you how happy I was with the improvement, amazing. On the way home I took the freeway and again was really impressed with the handling in cross winds, corners and very little movement when trucks are passing.

I absolutely give this product 2 thumbs up!

We are so impressed with this product that we have added it to RVupgrades.com --> https://www.rvupgradestore.com/index...OD&ProdID=1852
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2007, 07:11 AM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

When I moved from my truck conversion motorhome with a very stiff suspension, almost no side to side motion and a 14,700 lb leaf spring front end which beat me to death, the evolution chassis on my Winnebago Vectra was a nice change. But I quickly found that I had a unsettling amount of side to side motion on curves at most any speed and a decent amount of front end dive while braking.

So I was contemplating going to the Koni shocks but I did not want to loose that soft ride I had with the Sach's. Joe-K had pointed out the Super Steer Motion Control Units, but the price seemed high for something I really had no info on and very little feedback I could find on the internet. The Motion Control units basically slow the amount of air entering and leaving the airbags. On the front end of the 06 Evolution chassis there is a single ride height adjuster and very large 1/2" airlines which allows the the transfer of air from side to side very quickly. My chassis also seemed to dump alot of air under acceleration from the front end and if I came upon a corner at just the right time the front end would bottom out. I have checked and rechecked the ride height and I am dead on after adjustments with the chassis spec's

After a few more unsettling outings I finally bit the bullet and talked with Scott at Super Steer and went ahead and ordered a set for the front and back. On my 06 Vectra the front airlines are 1/2" and the rear 1/4". Install was really easy, dump the air in tha bags and than simply cut the airline 3-6" from the top of the airbag and slide the motion control unit on to both sides. The units have slip on locking air fittings so installation takes about 10 seconds with more time spent getting under the rig to the airbags.

For my test I ran 2 1/2 hours on the back roads of eastern Ohio on into Pennsylvania to our Memorial Day outing. It was like I was driving a totally different well handling rig. I have made alot of chassis mod's over the years on different RV's I have owned and this ranked at the top as most improving a issue I have had with handling. Cornering on off camber hilly 2 lane roads was amazing, very little front end dive when you apply the brakes and very little roll as you made the corner. I cannot tell you how happy I was with the improvement, amazing. On the way home I took the freeway and again was really impressed with the handling in cross winds, corners and very little movement when trucks are passing.

I absolutely give this product 2 thumbs up!

We are so impressed with this product that we have added it to RVupgrades.com --> https://www.rvupgradestore.com/index...OD&ProdID=1852
Old 06-05-2007, 07:47 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Great post Warpath, thanks! I'm in the same boat you were in. We have a new Itasca Ellipse 40FD and have only taken one (2000 mile) trip so far. I was a bit surprised to find how much latteral movement I had to deal with and have been looking for some kind of after market aid.

Freightliner told me that if steering aids really worked, FL would install them on new units but....

We're heading out this weekend on a 4000 mile trip which will last all summer. It'll give me much more "wheel time" and I'll decide if I want to bite the bullet during that trip.

Thanks,

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Probably not a big thing but wouldn't this affect how quickly air is dumped for leveling and refilling afterwards?

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:04 PM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

The front dumps completely in about 2 minutes and the rear is slightly faster. Fill time is also about the same as dump.

We are heading out on a 2,100 mile trip and that will give me a good chance to further evaluate the chassis, but to be honest the 5 hours I already have with them really gave me all the proof I need.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:15 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
Thanks for the report on this product. I am always leery on the claims manufaturers make about their product. First hand reporting is the best.

Warpath, thanks again.
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:48 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Warpath:
The front dumps completely in about 2 minutes and the rear is slightly faster. Fill time is also about the same as dump. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>So in other words, yes it does affect how quickly the coach settles when air is dumped. I land fully on frame in about 20 seconds currently. Just a perception thing that folks will need to know about in advance so they know they didn't break something.

Crawling around under the coach after dumping air is difficult on my chassis. On your Vectra which hangs 6" lower at the basement door it's got to be a real squeeze.

I'm going to definitely consider this upgrade. After this write up let's hope SS can keep it in stock.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the input on this product. I am always interested in better performance and handling. I was considering 3Ts sway control package but this sounds like it might just be the way to go. Please give us performance junkies an update after you return from your trip.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:44 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the post, Warpath. Like you, I wasn't able to find much feedback on the internet for the Motion Control Units. I wanted something that would help eliminate the side to side whipping motion I experience when I make a turn across a dip in the road near my home.

I know this sounds weird, but I also wanted something to help slow the air bag dumping process. My system dumps very rapidly while making a God awful howl, as if I just ran over a pack of coyotes or something. It's so loud, that I don't dump if I pull into a campground late at night, which or course means that I can't level off and deploy my slides. I'm hoping that the devices will soften or eliminate the noise as well.

I spoke with Scott as well, and ordered a set of the Motion Control Units two weeks ago, but I haven't had a chance to install them yet. Any tips on the install? It sounds pretty straightforward.

I'll post my results after my next trip, which is scheduled for the weekend of June 23rd.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:45 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bill:

Thanks for the review. My RV mechanic (now retired ) had suggested these might dampen the dish-rattling side-to-side sway experienced when entering/exiting driveways with gutters and speed bumps. In fact, I believe Super Steer suggests in their advertising that these devices can improve that.

Can you comment on that?
Old 06-11-2007, 03:32 AM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I am about a 1,000 miles into the trip and I am still impressed with the improvement the motion control units have made in the handling of my chassis. Highway & secondary road travel as been a pure joy. Absolutely love em!

These will not reduce the noise the air makes when you dump your bags to level. You still get the initial blast of air and than it is reduced to a hiss while the air from the bags leaks past the motion control units.

This will defiantly improve the side to side motion when entering a slow speed bumpy driveway, but it won't eliminate it.

As far as install, I used my levelers to jack the chassis up, used some cribbing under the axles on the rear and the frame section where the independent suspension attaches on the front of my chassis for safety.

I will add more when I get back
Old 06-11-2007, 03:38 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I just installed a pair of the Motion Control units on the front of our rig.

So far my impression is great. I see two significant improvements with the handling. First is the reduction of side to side body roll when traveling two lane country roads. Near our home, there are windy dippy country roads that cause the rig to tip side to side and lean when going around bends. Since the air bags slow the air from one side air bag to the other they do control the leaning.

Originally I only installed the front thinking that since the front end has one ride height control valve and both air springs run off that one valve, the most gain would be achieved by limiting the air movement on the front end. Now that I've installed the front and seen the improvement, I ordered the rear as well. I'll install them next week and post pictures of the installation.

Almost forgot the second improvement....It is the dapening of the side to side rock when entering a driveway at a angle. I've gotten used to entering driveways slowly to avoid that sudden snap back of the rig as one side air spring compresses pushing all the air into the other spring. When the second wheel goes over the same bump a moment later, it snaps the rig back the other way. So far in my week of driving with the Motion Control units installed, I see that significantly reduced with the units on the front of my rig.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:06 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I installed my Motion Control Units yesterday. While I haven't left for my trip yet, I did take it on a short cruise to check the install. The devices greatly reduced - almost eliminated, the front end dip I use to experience when braking or accelerating. It seems to corner a lot better and the side-to-side whipping motion when entering or exiting driveways is gone. So far I am impressed and happy with the purchase.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:59 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Finished installing my Super Steer ride control valves and took the rig for a short ride. The most noticeable difference is the almost total absence of any leaning in turns. I have mostly 2 lane, curvy roads for miles where I live and I could really move thru turns faster than before.

As far as the side-to-side whip in and out of parking lots, I didn't really have an opportunity to check that.

Overall, a good addition. This garbage truck is driving/handling very well now.