Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2015, 05:26 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
tail light power wire FL Chieftain

I have a strange problem with just the tail light circuit. every light works except the two rear wall tail lights. Clearance, licence plate, stop lights all work normally but the tail lights are out.

All the rear wall lights are connect together but I can not find the source of the purple or brown wire to the tail light harness. I did find a work around by connecting another wire to one of the tail light wires from a clearance light.
Still would like to find the missing connection.

99 FL pusher winnebago chieftain
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2015, 07:43 AM   #2

Because the Freightliner wiring harness , doesn't include , the wiring in the rear cap, it ends in a connector called " body builder interface connector" ( round with square terminals left side of the picture) you'll need to find a similar connector at the rear of your coach, and test for park light power there.
The harness from that connector is Newmar supplied in my case, and would include the splices that branch the power off to the marker and licence lights.
The wiring harness, from the round, black connector on the left, to the square grey connector on the right, is a transition harness, from the grey connector on is the rear cap wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0422 (640x360).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	112317  
Old 11-19-2015, 01:26 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Because the Freightliner wiring harness , doesn't include , the wiring in the rear cap, it ends in a connector called " body builder interface connector" ( round with square terminals left side of the picture) you'll need to find a similar connector at the rear of your coach, and test for park light power there.
The harness from that connector is Newmar supplied in my case, and would include the splices that branch the power off to the marker and licence lights.
The wiring harness, from the round, black connector on the left, to the square grey connector on the right, is a transition harness, from the grey connector on is the rear cap wiring.
Thanks Skip. When I call Winnebago support they said it was connected to the FL frame wire but did not know where. your picture helps me know what I am looking for in the mess of wire. I want to find the problem and restore the circuit properly.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:38 AM   #4

If you haven't already, it would be well worth your time to join .
www.AccessFreightliner.com

Takes a few weeks to get access , but you get online access to wiring diagrams and schematics specific to your chassis.

From the info I have on the connector, the tail lights and marker lights have a separate supply, at the connector, so be aware you could be dealing with a fuse issue, a relay problem, or even a problem as far forward as the headlight switch. So important to have wiring details before you begin your search.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I recently signed up with FL but truth be told, I got lost on the site and unable to navigate to MY MH. The Winnebago wire diagram shows all the rear wall marker lights, clearance lights and tail lights on the same circuit. I need to find the junction of the one wire for tail lamp.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:07 AM   #6

Here's what I have on the adapter harness , connector end for the RV manufacturer end is not shown because , Freightliner didn't know what the maker would be using.
I have diagrams and schematics for my 99 chassis , but the files are too large to post, if you would PM me your e mail address I can send them to you.

EDIT: For some reason it came through as a picture and not a file , I'll see if I can correct that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Freightliner wiring for rear cap 001.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	112478  
Old 11-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i do find are layout of the winnebago rear wall wire layout.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf winne back wall wire.pdf (208.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 08-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smile No tail light revisited

Quote:
Hi Skip, Well here I am still with the rear skirt still off and trouble shooting the old wire problem of the past "no tail lights" which I had temporarily resolved with tapping into the other marker light ckt for temporary power. I found the "body builder interface connector" and unlike yours neatly tucked in a relatively safe location, My Winnebago plug was low on the bottom of the frame and well out of sight.

I used my wire finder to locate the wire running backwards and there she was just hanging in the breeze. When I took it apart it the culprit was immediately exposed as water inside had corroded the connections. I don't see any reason to find a replacement as it is obvious that this connector is absent of any long term protection from wheel spray or salt. How stupid these engineers and designers are to put this connector so exposed to the elements. But then most of the builders are a bunch of MacGyver understudies. We on the other hand have to live with their misguided errors.

My plan is to put spade terminals on the ends and marry them on a terminal block inside a watertight electrical box and mount that to the frame. It would not surprise me to find that many others who have these problem would trace it to this same location.

Again SKIP thank you for the guidance.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:37 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Finally got to the problem of no Tail Lights and found the body builder connecting plug to be the culprit. So much for waterproof connector. With 7 wires in and 6 wires out there was plenty of room for error - letting water in. Worst of all they stuck this plug at the back and on the bottom of the rear frame ready to accept all the salt and water that the tires could throw at it.

I had a heck of a job determining the chassis wires as there are three white wires, a green, a yellow and a blue. none are marked but the FL diagram has a circuit number chart that identifies the function of each circuit. The Winnebago side is all purple but the wires are marked with "their" nomenclature of functions. Since there is not any direct relationship between the various drawings or marks I labeled the FL side white wires with the comparable WB side functions.

Since I consider this plug to be a useless device, I Next cut all the wires and crimped on round terminal connectors filled with anti-corrosive paste and attached to a 6 position terminal strip and enclosed it all in a waterproof junction box mounting higher and out of the way of spray.

If you are having problem with rear lights - this is a very logical area to investigate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	corroded plug  .jpg
Views:	65
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	136050   Click image for larger version

Name:	new jbox_resized.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	136051  

Old 08-15-2016, 10:34 PM   #10

Looking good .
I guess these issues are meant to insure we have to buy new coaches every few years.
Not happening in my case either.
We'll just have to keep fixing them.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:16 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Looking good .
I guess these issues are meant to insure we have to buy new coaches every few years.
Not happening in my case either.
We'll just have to keep fixing them.
Father time takes his toll on both man and machine. I also found a separate corroded wire which was added to the trailer connector for the electric brake battery charging. this was butt crimped and both ends corroded loose. Now they are soldered. it went to the center pin of the trailer socket.

now I can replace the rear bumper surround and start on the first problem of no brake lights from the treadle switches. It is hot as blazes here and we are do for another 100 degree day.

Tags
light, power