Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
RLS

Temp Gauge problem

I have a 2002 Journey DL on a XC chassis with a 3126E cat. On the return portion of my last trip the temp gauge did not register. This had happened once before. My question is do I start looking at the dash grounds or start at the engine temp sender? Anyone had this problem?
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2009, 10:59 PM   #2

8 year old ground connections, 8 year old sender, 8 year old connections under the dash. Could be any of these, and maybe there's a gauge annunciator in between that has an issue. Dash grounds & rear of coach grounds are probably due for a checkup anyway. Then the sending unit's connection, then change the sender. And then post your results.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #3

All the instruments are connected via harness to a bus that sends data. You can unplug all the instruments, scramble the connectors, and then just randomly plug them back in and they will work as the data is coded to the instrument. The sending unit feeds the computer and the computer sends the signal down the bus to the instruments.

My guess is a bad connection somewhere. I'd first unplug and reseat the connector to the temp guage and see if that solves the problem.

You can also call the help desk at Freightliner Custom Chassis Corp. 800-FTL-HELP (800-385-4357). Explain your problem and I think they will help. When I attended the camp freightliner class in Gaffney several years ago, they repeatedly emphasized that owners should not hesitate to call the help desk with a problem. Have your Freightliner vehicle id number available when you call.

Please post the resolution when you get it working. Good luck.....fred
Old 04-10-2009, 06:34 PM   #4

I had similar problem with my '98 Vectra. Freightliner in Orlando looked at it for 4 hours and said I had a bad gage and the whole instrument cluster needed to be replaced. I took it to Gafney and they found a wire off of the sender. There are two wires on mine. One for the idiot light and the other for the gage. My idiot light did work as I found out when I overheated once climbing a hill. Gafney tech just reattached the wire - problem fixed.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
RLS

Update

Update on temp gauge. Today got back from a 5 day trip. The temp gauge worked the whole trip. Will wait for it to malfunction before I can attempt a cure. Will be heading out later this week for another trip. Will keep you posted.
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote