Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2007, 04:52 PM   #1

I have a 2003 journey dl, 36 ft on freightliner chassis. I tow a 2007 ford ranger pickup with a roadmaster tow bar and bracket. With the tow behind, wind and passing semi's are a real problem. Without the tow it handles much better. Anyone else with that problem and any ideas to make it better.
Thanks Bob
notslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2007, 04:52 PM   #2

I have a 2003 journey dl, 36 ft on freightliner chassis. I tow a 2007 ford ranger pickup with a roadmaster tow bar and bracket. With the tow behind, wind and passing semi's are a real problem. Without the tow it handles much better. Anyone else with that problem and any ideas to make it better.
Thanks Bob
Old 11-28-2007, 06:42 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi notslo,
This could be caused by a variety of items, both on the coach as well as the towed vehicle. Has this always been the case or has the sympton just appeared? Sometimes this is an exacerbation of something that is happening all the time, but you just notice it when a truck passes by.

To start with some things that are simple and cheap to check, consider:
1. ensure the tow bar is parallel to the ground. This means not just within the tolerance of coach end being okay at 4" high or 2" lower than the toad end, but dead parallel with the ground.

2. get the toad front wheels off the ground and make sure the steering, wheel bearings and all front end components are not loose or worn. While off the ground, can the tire be moved left to right or up down or in/out (top/bottom tilt)?

Let us know if you feel the coach swaying or is it just the toad?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:26 AM   #4

I have noticed the same thing, and my toad is relatively small and lightweight.

It was more pronounced with the single axle Mountain Aire than it is with the tag axle Newell but I can tell a difference in handling with and without the toad. Especially when passing or being passed by a semi.

The toad drives great, the alignment is great, and no unusual tire wear patterns on the toad. I figured it was just the nature of the beast.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:34 AM   #5

A bit of back ground, I bought the motorhome last spring and drove it 500 miles home with no tow vehicle. It had 15000 miles and drove nice. I live on a small island so no testing at highway speeds. The towed truck had 2000 miles on it when I started this trip and it drives well and no tire or wheel issues. I increased the motorhome tire pressure and we left for a winter south. I thought maybe the tire pressures might have something to do with it so have now weighed and adjusted tires for the weight. I have checked ride height and the motorhome has the bearinged pitman, aftermarket air stab and steering damper. The reciever and truck attachment center line are about 1" different. The truck is very stable at highway speed and I am wondering if it is like the tail wagging the dog or lack of. Most vehicles with radials move around but the design keeps it all in order. I am wondering if the truck doesn't want to move around so stops the rear of the motorhome from moving so it kind of pivots around the rear causing the front to move around more than normal. With all the towed vehicles I know everyone is not having this problem. One thing I will try on my way home is to tow my friends jeep liberty and see if it is any differnt. He is in Oregon so I can't do that for awhile. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:55 PM   #6

Have an 06 Meridian and have never had a situation like you describe although I pull a Chevy Tracker which only weighs 2000pds. I have to remind myself it is back there. No changes when trucks pass etc. Not sure if that helps. Good luck.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:09 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
notslo,
Assuming the mechanical stuff is okay, this is what I did to eliminate the problem.
1. Made sure the track bar (on the rear axle) was correctly installed.
2. Added a Roadmaster (used to be IPD) anti-sway bar.

The sway bar, in addition to the track bar, did the trick. There is no wandering.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:44 AM   #8

Thanks Gary
The track bar was one of the areas I was going to look at when I go home. I will have to do some checking for the anti sway bar as it looks like things changed right around my production and they don't have any available for the later models. I have a pretty good shop and tools. Gravel trucks for years and building race cars so should be able to figure it out. It has to be some little thing not right. I noticed deep in the paperwork I got with it that freightliner had re-adjusted the track on the rear air suspension so will look at that also. Being as you tow with a dolly and flat, do you notice any difference between the two. I would even switch to a dolly if I thought it would help. In some ways it would be better as I could tow my wifes van and her power wheelchair could be in out of the weather.
Bob
Old 11-30-2007, 04:18 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
notslo,
I notice no difference towing with the dolly or flat. Both had the same sway symptom before the anti sway bar. Now there is no sway after the anti sway bar installation.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:56 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Ditto to the level tow bar. I towed a Malibu for two year with a set up Ok"d by the tow bar manuf specs. Never thought of that being the source of my wander and sway.
Got a drop reciever that placed the hitch dead level after reading a post, Magical improvement in handling.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:11 PM   #11

What type of tow bar are you using and is there any movement in the hitch receiver or the arms or pins. I have seen tow bars with locking arms that are out of adjustment and the arms can move in and out 1/4"-1/2" and that allows the toad to sway back and forth.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:04 AM   #12

Thanks for the idea. Everything in the reciever and the pins and swivels are good but will wrap an elastic band or tie wrap on the bar out of the locking arm and see if there is movement.
Bob
Old 12-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #13

I went out and checked the sterling towbar and when in the locked position you can move the rods in and out about 1\2" by hand. I took them apart and cleaned and lubed. Looks like adjustment might be with the spring loaded end piece. Couldn't find and info on the net. I didn't take out the locking piece. It might be worn but both sides look the same and equal.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:57 PM   #14

Update to this problem.
1 set tire pressure after 4 corner weigh. Couldn't believe 86 psi was the good number for the front. Things much better
2 Made bracket to keep hitch and reciever from having movement --things better again.
3 Swivel on the towbar ( bar to the piece that goes in the reciever) had some slop and fixed that -- things now really quite good. Looks like a lot of little things can compound. Drove 2000 miles with all kinds of wind, semi traffic and rough roads and it was not too much effort.