Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2019, 02:48 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaterDoc View Post
As an alternative idea, I went with Hankooks! They started making a new model last year called AH37's. The 275 70R22.5's were very close to the Michy's (I had the same size as you). The price online was $200 cheaper than Michy's and they were 18ply, load range J! They ride much better and I feel more confident with the increased capacity. The shop I had install them was impressed. They were going to add them to their inventory.
Hi "Doc"
I did check into the Hankooks, and even took a look at some of their actual tires at my local Walmart store last night. They look good, but I am a little concerned as they are made in China where the quality control often takes a back seat to actual quality.

The Michelins in 275/70R22.5 are also load range "J" and 16 ply. I don't yet know the exact weight of my front axle (working on that), the placard on the coach shows 12000, but I'm not sure if that is the actual weight or the carrying capacity.

My main concern is safety. The only thing connecting me to the road are those six tires and if one blows (for ANY reason) there is going to be problems, especially if it is a steer tire. If $400 difference in cost is going to make that ride safer or even make me feel safer, it is money well spent.
After all, at 72, I figure this is the last set of tires I'll have to buy for the coach in my lifetime.

What I'm really concerned with right now is making absolute sure that I actually need to buy new tires. I want to know that everything else has been eliminated and that the tires I now have aren't somehow just set up incorrectly.

Nick
scalawagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2019, 10:12 PM   #16

Nick, Hankooks are not Chinese made. They are made in Korea. There is a major quality difference. Hankooks are very popular in the trucking world because of the quality and dependability. I have a brother that spent years in trucking. He was hauling state and municipal vehicles. He had a great opinion of them. I am very happy with them and wouldn't risk the Michy's again. At least not on the RV. But, that is all just a personal opinion.
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:41 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaterDoc View Post
Nick, Hankooks are not Chinese made. They are made in Korea. There is a major quality difference. Hankooks are very popular in the trucking world because of the quality and dependability. I have a brother that spent years in trucking. He was hauling state and municipal vehicles. He had a great opinion of them. I am very happy with them and wouldn't risk the Michy's again. At least not on the RV. But, that is all just a personal opinion.
Sorry Doc,
Guess I was misinformed about where they are made. Don't personally know anything about them, good or bad. I do know a bit about Michelins though and I trust them. Again - personal opinion.
scalawagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco Wolfy View Post
Interesting! I had my Toyos installed by Les Schwab in Gig Harbor. They told me it's a great Tire. Other than that, there has been a lot of positives about Toyo Tires on this forum. No doubt in my mind there a great Tire for a fraction of the price. I don't understand why Les Schwab would suddenly change their mind about the tire. Did they tell you why?
I can tell you that Les Schwabb and Toyo have had a falling out due to Toyo's decision to put other distribution on at reduced pricing . I buy a lot of Toyo tires and have over 40,000 on my Fleetwood Revolution. Great tires.. I also run them as they are the Spec Miata tire for NASA ..
9dreizig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:33 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Got 6 Hankook on the back and very happy with them.
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawagman View Post
Hi everyone,

On my last two coaches I always ran Toyo M154 tires and liked them a lot. I now have a 2003 Newmar Kountry Star KSDP-3702 and riding on Yokohama RY103 tires all round. These tires were put on the coach by the previous owner in 2015 and currently have about 8,000 miles on them. I purchased the coach in Dec. 2018.

Been having a lot of wandering/steering issues with the coach at highway speeds - to the point that on my last trip I had to bring the speed down to 50 and below just to keep it between the lines.

Before the trip I had taken the coach to Freightliner and had them check out the suspension/steering systems and such. They put on new shocks, new suspension/stabilizer bushings, new brakes, front end alignment and the like. Should have all been good for the trip. Not so, still all over the road.

When I took it back I was told that perhaps the front tires were the problem and I should consider changing them out for a better "steer" tire.

Now the reason for this post. Naturally, I first considered changing them out for Toyo tires and contacted their main office for advise on which tire would be best for my bus. I was totally amazed when the gal at Toyo told me that Toyo no longer recommended their tires for use on RVs. She mentioned something about a law suite and that Toyo no longer supported the RV market with their tires.

I then contacted my local Les Schaube dealer and inquired about a new set of tires for my coach. They gave me three recommendations and none of them were Toyos. I asked about that as I had always bought my Toyo tires from Les Schaube. The guy there told me that if I still wanted to put Toyo tires on the bus they could special order them for me, but that they no longer carried that brand and didn't recommend them for use on RVs.
Looks like I am going to go with the Michelin X-Multi-Z tires this time.
Much more expensive than the Toyos, but if Toyo and Les Schaube aren't going to support their use on my bus I think I'd be foolish to push the issue.
There are more Michelin tires on steering axles than any other brand, for a reason
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milford 47 View Post
There are more Michelin tires on steering axles than any other brand, for a reason
I put Toyo's on mine and couldnt be happier.
randyxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:58 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDebrocke55 View Post
Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate it. I will go with the Toyo's. I believe I have load G's on now and will make sure that I replace with at least that.
If you are changing sizes of your tires, check this chart to see the differences. Your engine RPM, speedo, tire revs per mile, mileage, etc will all be different when you change the size of OEM tires.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #23

We are very happy with our Toyos!
MikeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:20 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have Toyos on the front of my coach and love him
Old 07-25-2019, 03:06 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Toyo no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawagman View Post
Hi everyone,

Now the reason for this post. Naturally, I first considered changing them out for Toyo tires and contacted their main office for advise on which tire would be best for my bus. I was totally amazed when the gal at Toyo told me that Toyo no longer recommended their tires for use on RVs. She mentioned something about a law suite and that Toyo no longer supported the RV market with their tires.

That's exactly what Toyo Tires rep told me earlier this week. Still researching replacements for my 275/70R 22.5 Michelins.

LL
lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:09 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hankook's ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine103 View Post
Got 6 Hankook on the back and very happy with them.

I also live in Edmond - where did you get your Hankooks? How many ply? Are your still happy with them? Are they good steer tires?

LL
lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:26 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good morning LL
The tires were purchased in Oregon at Big O tire. They are 5 ply tread and 1 ply sidewall according to the web site they are rated " all position". I only have about 8K miles but being on the rear it would be hard to rate thier performance but I do know they are quiet and appearance is great.
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires