Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2021, 03:15 PM   #1

Turn Signal Switch Needed Freightliner XC Chassis

I have a 2002 Winnebago Journey DL Freightliner chassis and need a new turn signal switch that also has the cruise control in the handle. The switch is shorting out causing major electrical issues. I tried to get the OEM switch using the VIN ending CK39599 and the jobber told me freightliner part number is 36979 but the picture I see when I look up that part does not show cruise control as part of the switch. I'm having a heck of a time making sure I get the exact OEM part. I have uploaded pics. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	319039   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1[256].jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	319040  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0340.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	319041  
Delrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2021, 09:28 PM   #2

I would call Freightliner direct and give them your full VIN.

Its possible that the part number your jobber supplied may now be superseded by another number. Either way, Freightliner knows their parts better than anyone and should be able to solve your issue.

There is a Freightliner dealer about 15 miles from me over the bridge in Swedesboro, New Jersey
Det57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:06 AM   #3

The cruise control switch is stalk mounted and has separate wiring , from the signal switch , so it's a separate part .
I'll have a look at mine tomorrow to see what would be required to remove the cruise switch from the stalk or if the stalk removes from the signal switch .

Do you have a photo of the part that you've been quoted on , and can you post it?
Old 02-24-2021, 10:05 AM   #4

Possible Solution

I called Freightliner NW and got a different part number DACTS012 not sure until I pick it up tomorrow if it looks the sames as the other part number 36979 (picture) I was given. They did say the rod can be removed and a new turn signal rod installed so I'm thinking the handle I have with cruise control can be swapped out with the new switch. I'll follow up on this post after I get the new part. Then its how to R&R the new part on the steering wheel? Thanks
Old 02-24-2021, 08:13 PM   #5

The cruise control stalk comes out of the signal switch on my 98 XC chassis. When I changed out my signal switch a month ago I attempted to unscrew the cruise control stalk and that was incorrect. Mine had a pin that required being released in the signal switch housing before the stalk would come out. I do not have a picture, but sharing what I learned.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:39 PM   #6

Welcome to iRV2 Delrae

Let us know if it fits.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:05 PM   #7

Possible Solution

New switched installed without without issue. The turn signal rod with cruise control, I had to take the old switch apart and then use a drift punch to drive out the rod from the inside out. The rod locks over a small pin at the bottom of the hole. Thank you all for the help. FYI the part number that SSchultze gave is the same one I purchased from Freightliner and will save you money https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...hTerm=978-5101

Tags
chassis, freightliner, switch