Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2018, 06:44 AM   #1

Update erratic air pressure

I posted awhile back about erratic air pressure readings on 2007 Discovery with a Freightliner chassis even after I changed the filter in the dryer. I took the dash apart and checked all of the wire connections on the gauges. I didn't observe anything amiss. I put everything together and went on a 1000 mile trip and no erratic readings. What is your guess what changed. My guess is that there was moisture in the system and it took some running to eliminate it. I did notice the air lines are hooked directly to the gauges. Not complaining though!
desertdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2018, 07:42 AM   #2

I had a 2008 Freightliner chassis with similar problems. All your dash gauges are fed from a multiplex bus which means all data, both air pressures, temp,oil pressure, etc are fed over one wire. The gauges are then daisy chained at the dash and each gauge picks the data bit it needs to display what it needs. When you pulled and re-seated the plugs you got a better connection somewhere in the chain and all now works. I solved my problem by pulling all the dash jumpers and putting them back together differently. I think Freightliner put out a service bulletin on the issue, but you solved your own problem, so.....??
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:49 AM   #3

Water in the system probably didn't cause erratic readings.

Before air dryers, we would discover that some drivers weren't draining there air tanks when the truck came in for service.

Everything looked and worked fine except water coming it the relay valves. We would find quarters of water in the tanks.

In freezing weather it was a different story.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdd View Post
I posted awhile back about erratic air pressure readings on 2007 Discovery with a Freightliner chassis even after I changed the filter in the dryer. I took the dash apart and checked all of the wire connections on the gauges. I didn't observe anything amiss. I put everything together and went on a 1000 mile trip and no erratic readings. What is your guess what changed. My guess is that there was moisture in the system and it took some running to eliminate it. I did notice the air lines are hooked directly to the gauges. Not complaining though!

Your air LINES GO DIRECTLY TO YOUR GAUGES? Wow, that's a new one on me. For years, on Freightliner chassis's, the air system is plumbed into either the VDC or, in the case of coaches '04 or newer, they're plumbed into an MMDC. The MMDC or, Multi-Module-Data-Controller is the main computer that, similar to what Pig-man states deciphers all the info from the engine ECM, the transmission TCM, the ABS system and, the AIR system. Once all the information is processed, it (The MMDC) sends the appropriate information to each set of gauges.

Both the VDC and the MMDC, have what's called "transducers" that the computers use for interpretation, so the correct pressure information can be sent to the gauges.

So, this is why I'm kinda surprised you have air lines going directly to your gauges. Wow.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:07 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In troubleshooting erratic air gauges I too found on my 08 Freightliner chassis that air pressure seems to be connected directly to the gauges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
[/COLOR][/U][/I][/B]

Your air LINES GO DIRECTLY TO YOUR GAUGES? Wow, that's a new one on me. For years, on Freightliner chassis's, the air system is plumbed into either the VDC or, in the case of coaches '04 or newer, they're plumbed into an MMDC. The MMDC or, Multi-Module-Data-Controller is the main computer that, similar to what Pig-man states deciphers all the info from the engine ECM, the transmission TCM, the ABS system and, the AIR system. Once all the information is processed, it (The MMDC) sends the appropriate information to each set of gauges.

Both the VDC and the MMDC, have what's called "transducers" that the computers use for interpretation, so the correct pressure information can be sent to the gauges.

So, this is why I'm kinda surprised you have air lines going directly to your gauges. Wow.
Scott
Old 09-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevman View Post
In troubleshooting erratic air gauges I too found on my 08 Freightliner chassis that air pressure seems to be connected directly to the gauges.
Roger that, always learning on this forum. Thanks
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:59 PM   #7

I have u 2007 Freightliner and had a similar problem. Gauges would start bouncing and low air pressure alarm would go off. One shop suggested water in the system. I fought the problem several years, bleeding air daily and changing air drier. I contacted Freightliner a second time, they sent new wiring harness which were installed in the dash which solved my problem. I suggest you call Freightliner with you serial number
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:47 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow that's great. I was having issues too, and went in to the dash area to check on wiring etc. I pulled the connectors on the gauges and some other areas and put everything back. Since then I haven't had a air gauge issue so I can believe that wiring and not the module can be the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
I have u 2007 Freightliner and had a similar problem. Gauges would start bouncing and low air pressure alarm would go off. One shop suggested water in the system. I fought the problem several years, bleeding air daily and changing air drier. I contacted Freightliner a second time, they sent new wiring harness which were installed in the dash which solved my problem. I suggest you call Freightliner with you serial number

Tags
air