Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2022, 11:19 AM   #15

Problem with Valor TPMS installed on Toad

My question is related to this thread but different. We had the Valor TPMS installed on our 2022 Jeep Wrangler with < 3k miles. We have been unable to get the tires balanced sufficiently to eliminate serious vibration between 70 and 75 MPH with the monitors in the tires. Has anyone experienced this issue and if so were you able to resolve it?
rboozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2022, 12:00 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboozer View Post
My question is related to this thread but different. We had the Valor TPMS installed on our 2022 Jeep Wrangler with &lt; 3k miles. We have been unable to get the tires balanced sufficiently to eliminate serious vibration between 70 and 75 MPH with the monitors in the tires. Has anyone experienced this issue and if so were you able to resolve it?
I have 37in BFG on my jeep wrangler.

I added the valor myself as I have a tire machine. I decided to use balance beads, and removed all weights.

I researched and chose a company that was reputable, counter act balance.

I test drove and discovered a shimmy from 70-74.

Decided to tow from Dallas to Orlando, keeping it under 65.

After adding 1500 miles, we drove around and discovered it was the same, yet sometimes it was at lower speeds too.

I decided to get a real balance, and looked for a shop that had a road force balancer.

The challenge for me is the size of tire. 35s and less, shops like discount, tire kingdom etc have road force that can handle it. Mine is too big for their machine. I had to find a shop with the larger road force that is meant for 22.5's.

I found an OTR truck tire facility in Fort Myers and talked to them. They where not sure they could handle the smaller tires, but once I arrived they tech said it would be simple.

Because I had beads, they had to vacuum those out then balance, all 5 tires.

I spent $400, but now my tires are perfectly balanced from 0-97. No more sweaty palms driving my jeep.

The key is finding a shop with a road force balancer. No other balancer will do as good of a job.

Use this page to find a shop. I chose one with an elite due to size of tire.

https://www.hunter.com/find-equipment/?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220429_183402.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	368014Click image for larger version

Name:	20220420_140923.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	368015Click image for larger version

Name:	20220420_140852.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	368016Click image for larger version

Name:	20220420_140832.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	368017
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:27 AM   #17

The valor installations on my trailer required the repositioning of the tire on the rims to obtain a good balance. Tire technicians have a tendency to resist deflating and repositioning tires for obvious reason, but I flat out refused to accept a balance with 15 ounces of weights hanging on both the outside as well as the inside of the rim. In that circumstance the repositioning of the tire 180 degrees resulted in a balance with 1/2 ounce of weight.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:53 AM   #18

Valor TPMS

We have a 2019 Essex and the Valor TPMS has not worked properly from day one. Don Rigby came to Houston on two occasions to reposition the antennas, and Freightliner Houston has worked on the system three times, the latest was a program update. The only real change is that the false readings (136/401) that I used to get are now dashes (-). After an hour or so of travel, all twelve tires will be dashes.
I can shut down and restart, and the system will run okay for hour or so and then one by one all twelve tires will default to dashes. I think the only answer is an upgrade to the Valor GEN 3 system that comes with the newer coaches.
In a recent conversation with Freightliner a few days ago they suggested that I go to the Freightliner service when I return to Houston and have the most recent program update installed. He suggested this rather than upgrading to the GEN 3 system. Personally, I think Freightliner is avoiding the idea of anyone upgrading to a GEN 3 system with fear that it will resolve the issue and then Freightliner will be on the hook for changing out all the older systems on the road today that are not working properly.
rjhhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 04:32 AM   #19

Agreed. Therefore I'd certainly entertain the idea of a class lawsuit.... or maybe since this is a safety-related system the way to go is get the NHTSA involved? Any ideas? This is an integrated system that Freightliner needs to held accountable for.
Old 06-14-2022, 08:36 PM   #20

Valor TPMS

Further to my recent post, I received via email a multi page "Field Service Campaign" document from the Freightliner Custom Chassis group that provides instructions to the various Freightliner service providers for yet another program upgrade to the Valor TPMS system. In addition to a program upgrade, the document provides instructions for the installation of a bracket to lower the rear antenna. It is dated March 2022 and numbered SF644 A-C. This is not a recall, it's a Field Service Campaign. After a quick read it appears that SF644 A and B deal with the Valor Gen 1 system and SF644 C deals with a program upgrade to the Gen 3 system.
I contacted my Freightliner service provider in Houston and confirmed that they are aware of SF644 A-C and that they have all the necessary "things" to do the system upgrade on my 2019 Essex Gen 1 system. I have a service appointment on August 1 and will have the upgrade performed. I will test the upgraded system and report my finds. Im not optimistic, but will give Freightliner the opportunity.
If anyone is interested, I can email the Field Service Campaign SF644 A-C to you.
Old 06-15-2022, 05:02 AM   #21

Thanks. I'll take you up on that offer...
chris@keyenterprises.net
Old 06-15-2022, 05:25 AM   #22

I would like a copy as well.

Cwhtrains@aol.com

Clayton
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:34 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Completed on my coach two weeks ago. Didn't help, dropping one rear tire repeatedly and even worse says another has low pressure. Anywhere from 30-60#. On my way back from Nappanee this started.

At least before you'd see a goofy reading and know something was wrong. This makes you pull over and check tires.

Crazy bad.
mtflybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 03:08 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
How does one confirm the version of software the Valor TPMS is running? I have a 2020 Dutch Star on a Spartan chassis and have had the Valor TPMS worked on twice; once to add a second antenna, second time to relocate the antenna. Those repairs only reduced the frequency of failed readings so Spartan asked if I would drive to the factory for them to look at it with a Valor rep. Anyone else having the issues on a Spartan chassis and find a fix?
Bruce - VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 08:23 AM   #25

Valor Solution?

There is apparently a third generation Valor system available now. My 2022 Tiffin Phaeton is currently at our local Freightliner shop having it installed. The software update a year ago did nothing. I would eventually loose communication with all tires after an hour or two on the road.

Has anyone had their system updated? IF so:
1. Did it take care of the issues?
2. Do I still need to use the tool to make changes or is it hopefully now controlled from the dash?
3. Were you able to obtain sensors for your tow and do they work?

Kim
KRKoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 02:48 PM   #26

Valor Upgrade GEn 3

KR Koster
Have you had an opportunity to test you Valor Gen 3 TPMS?
Old 03-11-2023, 06:58 PM   #27
Miles 2 go before I sleep

Newmar Owners Club
Valor TPMS NHTSA - File and demand a Recall

Any number of trips to Freightliner authorized service have had no effect. reprogram, move antenna, new bracket... all fail. Multiple dealers shrug their shoulders and say "we know it is bad and Freghtliner knows it's bad but...."

EVERYONE needs to take the time to send a report in to the NHTSA and Newmar. Make noise !!

Please read this and act. We are basically being ignored. This is a safety issue that is being forgotten. It is also extremely bad customer service and they are just hopeful we will give up. DON'T.

https://rvforums.com/threads/tpms-is...ampaign.12332/

Redbaron at RV Forums has laid out great instructions to get this moving. He has been successful before in getting NHTSA recalls to be issued.

I feel bad for Freightliner - only a little bit - They qualified and selected the product and they know it is NOT GOOD. They need to step up and make it right. There is no excuse that holds water. (BTW - I think Mercedes can afford it... why should we all let them off the hook?)
2015 Berkshire QL-400 DP
sgilbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 07:32 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I encourage everyone that owns a coach with tpms builtin to take the time to file a complaint. This is an area where every voice does matter. Based on prior experience, a minimum number of complaints must be filed before NHTSA will take action.

I have a detailed post on this site as well:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/tpms-issues-gen-1-nhtsa-recall-campaign-595638.html
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms