Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2007, 03:41 PM   #1

We have been experiencing some very strange things in our 2001 DSDP 3852 (I believe). The most disturbing is our latest problem since it has to do with the transmission. We have a 300 Cat on a Freightliner. In June on a trip home the transmission started acting up, when coming to a stop there would be a loud clunk and the coach felt like it had shifted into neutral. Putting it into neutral then back into drive seems to fix it but it occurs again at the next stop. We had a friend run a diagnostic on the trans and he got code 35 or 3500 (power interrupt). That same day after we got home and wanted to move the coach it wouldn't start, no lights on dash, nothing. We let it sit for a while then my husband pushed the ICC switch, the dash lights came on and the coach started. We took it into a recommended transmission shop, the guy checked it, hooked it up to a computer and did a test drive with many stops and starts for 45 minutes and no problem, he suggested that it was electrical. On the next trip it was acting up again and it's fine as longs as we're not doing stops. On the way home we noticed that the coach did the starting engine check and realized then, that the times we've had the problems with the transmission the coach hadn't done the check

For a long time we gotten the "Low Air" warning lights and the gauges are sporadic, they go up and down randomly, Freightliner checked but at that time they didn't act up and they couldn't fix something that wasn't broken. Leaving Freightliner they did the same thing and have ever since, we disconnected the buzzer. Recently I started documenting the little weird things we've been experiencing and it's possible that they aren't even related. Since we've had the coach, the living room slide comes in on it's own during the night occasionally so I've been pulling the fuse. The back up warning beeper only works sometimes. Recently we've had the Battery light come on, on the dash, stay on for a while then go off. The MPH & tach both stopped working at the same time but only for a short while. It's been suggested that it could be a PC Board that's going bad or maybe a loose ground wire. We have no idea of how many PC Boards there could be in the coach? I've seen one in the dash in front of the drivers position. Does any of this point to something obvious to any of you? Any help would truly be appreciated. If we could just get pointed in a good direction. Thanks.
Lizcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2007, 03:41 PM   #2

We have been experiencing some very strange things in our 2001 DSDP 3852 (I believe). The most disturbing is our latest problem since it has to do with the transmission. We have a 300 Cat on a Freightliner. In June on a trip home the transmission started acting up, when coming to a stop there would be a loud clunk and the coach felt like it had shifted into neutral. Putting it into neutral then back into drive seems to fix it but it occurs again at the next stop. We had a friend run a diagnostic on the trans and he got code 35 or 3500 (power interrupt). That same day after we got home and wanted to move the coach it wouldn't start, no lights on dash, nothing. We let it sit for a while then my husband pushed the ICC switch, the dash lights came on and the coach started. We took it into a recommended transmission shop, the guy checked it, hooked it up to a computer and did a test drive with many stops and starts for 45 minutes and no problem, he suggested that it was electrical. On the next trip it was acting up again and it's fine as longs as we're not doing stops. On the way home we noticed that the coach did the starting engine check and realized then, that the times we've had the problems with the transmission the coach hadn't done the check

For a long time we gotten the "Low Air" warning lights and the gauges are sporadic, they go up and down randomly, Freightliner checked but at that time they didn't act up and they couldn't fix something that wasn't broken. Leaving Freightliner they did the same thing and have ever since, we disconnected the buzzer. Recently I started documenting the little weird things we've been experiencing and it's possible that they aren't even related. Since we've had the coach, the living room slide comes in on it's own during the night occasionally so I've been pulling the fuse. The back up warning beeper only works sometimes. Recently we've had the Battery light come on, on the dash, stay on for a while then go off. The MPH & tach both stopped working at the same time but only for a short while. It's been suggested that it could be a PC Board that's going bad or maybe a loose ground wire. We have no idea of how many PC Boards there could be in the coach? I've seen one in the dash in front of the drivers position. Does any of this point to something obvious to any of you? Any help would truly be appreciated. If we could just get pointed in a good direction. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would start at your batteries for chassis there would be two of them for chassis. I had a loose ground cable on my chassis, engine, battery when we purchased MH. There are ground wires to chassis from engine to frame of chassis and many other grounds to frame of chassis. If you do check them out and find a loose ground wire use a star washer to hold wire to frame after you clean connection location that way it will stay tight.
Welcome to the Newmar forum and irv2.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:34 PM   #4

Thank you for your reply 007, this is the first place that we will check. If you or anyone else can think of something, we'd be more than happy to check there next. Thanks again, Liz
Old 08-21-2007, 03:34 PM   #5

Hi,
We also have a 2001 3852. The only problem we've had similar to yours was with the low air alarms. Freightliner said the only fix was a new V.O.C. (vehicle onboard computer). It was replaced by the dealer ,at his expense. Problem solved. Otherwise, how do you like your coach?
davidnrose
davidnrose is offline   Reply With Quote