Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2021, 08:27 PM   #1

What is the best way to accelerate when entering the highway?

I know this sounds a little dumb, but I have just got an Entegra Accolade C class with a Freightliner engine. What is the best way to get up to speed when entering the highway. I was told to just push the peddle to the floor and go, but this seems awfully slow in the take off. Does it help to down shift manually or just let the engine do its thing?

Thanks for any advise
Frank the PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2021, 08:35 PM   #2

Start building up speed as soon as you get on the On-Ramp

As soon as speed begins increasing....hammer down
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:40 PM   #3

Yes, just pedal to the metal..... itís not a sports car, so you need to anticipate way ahead whatís going to happen.

Put on your turn signal way ahead of time, and most people will get out of your way.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:47 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If i need to speed up quickly. I let the transmission do its thing and push the paddle. If transmission is in economy mode I down shift and hit the peddle.

Or before entering slow down to merg into traffic.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:09 AM   #5

If you are moving , downshifting manually may help especially if your transmission is slow to downshift. From a stop, manual shifting won't make much of a difference .
Old 07-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #6

Welcome to iRV2 .

Your chassis is by Freightliner , not the engine , do you have any engine info ?
Cummins ? ISB ? ISL ?
Coach weight info ?

Engine and transmission programs; for power and shifting; will usually give the best acceleration for merging into traffic , so full throttle , you just have to remember that the coach's weight to Horse Power ratio is between 15>20 times that of a car , so acceleration is much slower .
On my coach transmission in economy mode gets into a higher gear quicker and the engine pulls better in it's torque band than waiting to pull to max horse power .
This is something you'll have to learn through testing on your coach.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:28 AM   #7

For getting on the highway, yep, just drop the hammer.
You want the turbo to have some exhaust pressure so it can do it's thing.

FWIW I'm one of those people that hand shifts my automatic tranny cars because they never seem to be in the right gear, especially on the take off/upshift side. But in my coach I find the Allison shift program to be really good and never feel the urge to hand shift, on both up and downshift.
Max Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Yes, just pedal to the metal..... itís not a sports car, so you need to anticipate way ahead whatís going to happen.

Put on your turn signal way ahead of time, and most people will get out of your way.
I totally agree.... This immediately came to mind.

RS ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:47 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My coach weights 30,000 lbs and is powered by a 360/800 ISB. It’s underpowered and acceleration is it’s weakest point. I anticipate when a I’ll need more speed and start accelerating in advance - this is a judgement thing and you have to develop the feel for it carefully, but it makes a difference.

On grades by the time the transmission downshifts it’s too late - the trans can’t see the hill but you can. So I down shift in advance routinely. Apply this to an on ramp and the idea is to keep it in the power band as others have mentioned. For my rig that seems to be 1800rpm at a minimum, and up to 2400 although I don’t hold it there. But if you shift before 2400 when going up hill or trying to accelerate, your engine speed will be too low in the next gear. It’s a balancing act.

So regardless of everything else going on, if I keep the engine speed in that range I’ll get the best results possible. The only time I use economy mode is when I hit that button by accident.

As usual, YRMV and this is just my experience living with an underpowered rig. I learned to drive underpowered diesels about 40 years ago on fire engines with manual transmissions where you had to use the jake to match engine speed road speed when upshifting up hills. Manual transmissions are admittedly a different animal but many of the principles apply, IMHO.

And no, it’s not a dumb question. I can easily understand why it would see odd. I remember a “new”cat 3208 powered E1 fire engine with an automatic that seemed absolutely gutless and I thought it had a turbo problem or something. I was told it was normal and you just had to stand on it while running up through the gears. Those rigs had a shift lever on the dash and the ranges were listed as the selection points, not individual gears. Learn how to use the ranges on your shift pad and you’ll have better results.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:52 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've put 46k miles on my 15 DP. I've floored it maybe 5 times. (0 to 60 in 60 seconds.) Anticipate merging, hills, traffic. Think ahead.
Manually down shift rather than hammering it.
Look for for holes in long lines of vehicles and accelerate accordingly.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:48 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As you enter the ramp, mash the pedal and start building up speed.

Ken
Old 07-28-2021, 10:02 AM   #12

These big rigs donít really accelerate, the just gain momentum
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:02 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I've put 46k miles on my 15 DP. I've floored it maybe 5 times. (0 to 60 in 60 seconds.) Anticipate merging, hills, traffic. Think ahead.
Manually down shift rather than hammering it.
Look for for holes in long lines of vehicles and accelerate accordingly.
If I had an L9 behind me I’d probably have it floored less often too. Pushing over 30,000lbs with a 6.7 requires a little more deliberate use of the accelerator. So for me it’s mash early and mash often, As Ken noted above.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:12 AM   #14

OK, IF (since we don't know exactly what drivetrain you have) you have a diesel engine with Allison transmission, the fastest acceleration is WOT with the transmission in power, not economy mode).

However, reality check-- this will still likely be a 0-60 MPH of around 30 seconds.

Second reality check-- compared with a loaded 18 wheeler merging on the same entrance ramp, you are a SPORTS CAR.