Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2019, 09:54 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Who's At The Gaffney Freightliner Service Center?

I'm a little surprised that I didn't find this kind of thread. At least I didn't find one with any recent entries so...

I didn't find a thread for this to exchange on who is there, what they found and other stuff besides the classroom. Are there any favorite sights to see, restaurants to eat at or other items of interest?

While I'm not really targeting this at the "Camp Freightliner" classes, that's OK. Also, comments on service would seem helpful.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2019, 09:59 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We are looking to arrive Saturday, Aug 3rd, for a Tuesday morning annual service appointment. This will be our second visit. We were there last year in July for Camp Freightliner and our first full service and inspection at the factory after we purchased our coach in June.

The big surprise was the replacement of the radiator fan gear box because it was leaking. In retrospect I think it may have only been overflow but my insurance covered it so that didn't hurt too much. Also had the dust shield installed....

This visit should (hopefully) be a non-event. We will see.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:59 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We arrived Saturday at about 12:30 PM. A fair number of spots were available and we got #13 which put the power pedestal on our driver side and allowed us to be forward a few more feet to make sure our satellite dish wasn't blocked by the trees behind.

For those that have never been here:

These parking sites are a courtesy and can meet your needs but will not be mistaken for premium. They are 50/30 amp only. There is dump station you pass as you come in to the parking area. It can handle a couple coaches at a time for fresh water but only one can dump at a time.

We have a Tuesday appointment. Much like (I suspect) any other kind of courtesy parking area for service customers it is first come, first serve. It appears if you get here Sunday the number of available sites diminishes. Two new arrivals got here this morning already.

If you want FHUs and willing to bring your coach in each morning and pick it up after there is a KOA with a 15-20 minute drive via I-85. I-85 is under a lot of construction so that is why it could be closer to 20 minutes. I believe that the KOA has a special Freightliner rate but don't know if it is any better than other typical discounts.

The first thing we did upon arrival was dump tanks and fill the fresh water tank. There are 2 fresh water hook ups. One has a blue handle with a sign next to it saying it is potable. The other is a red handle and I didn't remember from last year if it was potable.

So, I opted to use the blue handle. I was surprised that once you lifted that handle water would bubble up from that site. and down hill to a drain. It wasn't a small leak but it appears it was above the shut off plunger so didn't leak when the water was shut off at the outlet.

I had recently installed a full reverse osmosis system in the coach. As long as we weren't blocking traffic I was prepared to sit at the dump site for 3-4 hours to "make water" to fill the tank. With that leak I just didn't want to create a bigger mess. However, I have a probe that measures the total dissolved solids on incoming water and it showed on 43 ppm! That is well on the soft side so I bypassed my RO and added about 40 gallons of non-RO water to my tank. This took much less time and I was able to shut off the city water fairly quickly.

Depending on your needs and fresh water tank location you may want to consider leveling the coach before you fill. The dump station is on a bit of a slant and showed my fresh tank being about 85% full but once I leveled the coach it dropped to 50%. I filled my tank until it started to over flow and then put clips on the duck bill overflow valve to stop it from siphoning out. That allowed me to get to my site with a full tank.

The parking sites are electric only. Power seems good but at the peak demand for air conditioner use I saw voltage sagged down to about 108V on the leg with the lowest voltage. Power outlets for each spot are paired together so depending on your site the outlet will either be on your driver side or passenger side. Since these are power-only you certainly could opt to pull in nose first if that works better for you. Our power cord is pretty long so we didn't need to use an extension but last year we had the outlet on the "wrong" side and used an extension.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:32 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
THIS PLACE IS PACKED!

The good news...they got me done in one day. Good work and the front desk was as nice as can be.

The BAD news...the power here kinda sucks. At the peak usage of things (especially 3 ACs) and even well into the evening, several of us reported voltage below 105V and those with surge protectors saw power them shut off power to the coach. My Progressive Industries EMS did several shut downs until I turned off AC 2 & my charger. I also had to go to the diesel burner for hot water and shut off the electric elements.

Basically, I could run Zone 1 & 3 AC units along with basic stuff and that was it. I couldn't even let the charger go into bulk without loosing power due to low voltage.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:51 AM   #5

I go to Gaffney for service annually. You won't get many responses to "Who's at Gaffney" because most of the time you are done and gone in one day unless you are there for Camp Freightliner. I have done CF1 and CF2 and will probably do CF2 again next year just so I can walk around under the coach and look. Always had great service there.

Tags
freightliner, service