Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #1

Windshield Wiper switch

(2002 Discovery) My windshield wipers will not work on intermittent. High and low is ok but not intermittent. I'm thinking the switch is a Freightliner item.
Have any of you guys had this little problem and how did you fix it?
Thanks!!
buckstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #2

Mine is not a Freightliner, but I had the same symtom. It turned out to be a loose connection on a plug on an electronic module about 2/3 the size of a deck of cards, which was located beside the steering column (above the floor) on my 1998 Chevy P32 chassis. This module controls the delay for the intermittent setting, as well as the wiper park feature on mine.

After buying our MH, we had a list of things done at an RV service shop. They "fixed" the problem the first time by reseating the connector. On a later trip, the problem came up again. I now know where this gizmo is, and I have reseated the plug myself. If it wasn't so hard to get at, I would take the module completely out and reshape the prongs a bit. If it cuts out again, I may do that.
GrampaDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:12 AM   #3

Thanks Dennis,
I'll crawl under the dash and look for that small box. I remember when I looked the last time I saw the back of the wiper switch and thought it would be somewhat of a bear to change out. Hopefully it will be that the delay box has a wire loose. It would be nice to have the intermittent part.
I'll let you know what I find.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
All the wiper functions are integrated into the switch itself. Here is the manual for the switch in my 2000 Freightliner chassis.
http://www.gtdev.com/products/spec_wiper.pdf
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #5

I looked under the dash and sure enough the delay module is built into the switch, dang it
I got a buddy that is a electrician/instrumentation guy, maybe he knows a way to add a delay module to it without me having to buy the whole switch.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I am curious if the delay has ever worked for you? If not, this is what I learned at Camp Freightliner this week. If it has worked, or you already know this procedure then forget what I am telling you. I personally have never seen this switch, but per the instructor if you have this particular switch, put it to the delay position or press the button once then count for the amount of time you want the delay to delay up to 2 minutes then press the button again & you have set the delay feature for the wipers.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
"but per the instructor if you have this particular switch, put it to the delay position or press the button once then count for the amount of time you want the delay to delay up to 2 minutes then press the button again & you have set the delay feature for the wipers. "
__________________.

I am not sure about two minutes, but on our coach with the smart wheel, push the button and do exactly as stated above. I know 60 seconds don't think ours will go above that amount of time
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
"but per the instructor if you have this particular switch, put it to the delay position or press the button once then count for the amount of time you want the delay to delay up to 2 minutes then press the button again & you have set the delay feature for the wipers. "
__________________.

I am not sure about two minutes, but on our coach with the smart wheel, push the button and do exactly as stated above. I know 60 seconds don't think ours will go above that amount of time
Thanks Doc, I was just repeating what I was told. Glad you confirmed that I was in the ball park. I do not have this type of wiper switch.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #9

Thanks guys but I think we're looking at two different switches. My switch I turn the center knob to the right one click which should set the switch to intermittent then pull the outside ring out and turn it left or right to set the time. If you push the center knob the washer will squirt.

So far I have never got the intermittent to work. Am I doing it correctly?

(I took some pictures, the second picture is showing the outside ring pulled out and the last one is the outside ring pushed in)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2002 wiper switch 001.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	617.7 KB
ID:	49505   Click image for larger version

Name:	2002 wiper switch 002.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	597.5 KB
ID:	49506  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2002 wiper switch 003.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	510.2 KB
ID:	49507  
Old 11-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #10

Update: wiper switch

Fixed my intermittent problem by replacing the switch. Found the exact replacement @ Rome Truck Parts, Inc. $65.75 including shipping.

Kit # 550597-9010, includes switch, knobs and nut.

web site: www.rometruckparts.com

Old 11-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the update!! I had not seen a switch like that....
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks. I have the same switch in my rig, and the delay does work, or at least for now. Hopefully it will last, but if not I know where to get one from. Thanks.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Smile wipers speeds go bad

I also have a similar switch in my 99 Winnebago DP. at one time the wiper speeds were a mess and others times they did not work at all. Was ready to buy a new switch but found the problem to be a water leak that found its way down to a control module on the firewall under the dash.

Once I dried out the wires and module with a hair dryer and fixed the leak - never had a problem again.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/whistling.gif
Old 12-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I also have a similar switch in my 99 Winnebago DP. at one time the wiper speeds were a mess and others times they did not work at all. Was ready to buy a new switch but found the problem to be a water leak that found its way down to a control module on the firewall under the dash.

Once I dried out the wires and module with a hair dryer and fixed the leak - never had a problem again.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/whistling.gif

I was not that lucky, I pulled the switch and found with a volt meter the rheostat part of the intermittent itself was working, the switch was bad.