Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2021, 04:24 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Xc chassis upgrade

After having a previous class A that rode and handled like a Mercedes, I am so much over the ride and handling of the XC chassis. I have a 2017 XC chassis that needs shocks, stabilizer and anything else that will improve it. What I need help with is the recommended shops to do the work. And/or the recommended items to get. Home is in Florida but currently on the road to Wyoming and back. Hate this so much I would consider a stop along the way to get the coach fixed. Thanks to all for your help.
bobkathy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2021, 04:59 PM   #2

I would first make an appointment at Freightliner in Gaffney SC. They can look the coach over and see if anything is amiss. They are the experts. Why throw parts at something if you don't know what's wrong?

My XC chassis rides very well without any additions. I keep tire pressures at 90 psi and keep the chassis greased.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:32 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bob, you didn't say what the problem is. Does it sway? Does it ride hard on ruff roads? Wander? Some easy things to have checked are alignment, tires, shocks. Even something as simple as an out of round tire can make driving miserable.
Chuck
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:51 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Coach only has 11k miles. Tires are good. Alignment was checked and in spec. Even replaced steering gear box per recommend of local truck shop. That was probably waste of money. Coach weight and Michelin tire chart says 105 lb all around. Rides rough. Does not take corners well. Really doesn't like windy days. Just guessing - OEM shocks suck. Coach is 40' and actual traveling weight is 31,200 lb.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:29 PM   #5

Have you cheeked the ride height? An over inflated air ride bag will ride very rough. The rubber piece came out of the adjusting rod and it rode very rough. the air bag to over inflate. Caused a real rough ride.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:44 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 2014 XC chassis with 46k miles rides and handle good. I did replace the front shocks with Koni FSDs. And added a Roadmaster Reflex steering assist for safety and to help in crosswinds.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:25 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkathy95 View Post
Coach only has 11k miles. Tires are good. Alignment was checked and in spec. Even replaced steering gear box per recommend of local truck shop. That was probably waste of money. Coach weight and Michelin tire chart says 105 lb all around. Rides rough. Does not take corners well. Really doesn't like windy days. Just guessing - OEM shocks suck. Coach is 40' and actual traveling weight is 31,200 lb.
You may not like the $10k price tag, but Active Air from HWH will make it corner better than you want it to. It changed mine from 10mph under the recommendation on the yellow diamond signs to 10mph over. The only issue is getting over confident and/or putting more strain on tires and wheel bearings because you can take turns faster, so you have to re-learn how to drive a bit. But want a difference!

Also abrupt lane changes are rock solid steady, and wind effects are greatly reduced. This is really helpful on those otherwise sometimes harrowing freeway interchange flyovers with diminishing radius turns. Takes the white knuckle aspect out of it and your passenger won’t be sounding the alarm.

You also get a new touch screen display that handles auto and manual leveling, both air and hydraulic, and several screens of additional data the factory system doesn’t provide, as well as the ability to raise your ride height a couple inches which comes in handy in situations where you would otherwise drag.

What it doesn’t help with is the low speed wallering and flopping around from driving over uneven dips and bumps, such as diagonal RR crossings. I think bigger diameter shocks would help here but you wouldn’t want stiffer shocks, so I wouldn’t run out and get Konis - a little research is in order here.

You can contact Source Engineering http://sourcerv.com/ about shocks and ride enhancement and see if you can get them to give you more info in their procucts other than price and shipping cost. I didn’t have much luck - the guy I was corresponding with was clearly a man of few words. More on that here: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/air...ds-486230.html - I make no recommendations - I’ve only don’t some basic research in this.

Also when it’s time for tires consider changing to a size that allows for lower pressure for the same load. If all goes will with my next tires I’ll be able to drop the front psi from 110 to 85, rears from 95 to 85 or maybe even 80, and that should help with the pot holes and other abrupt irregularities. I’m doing this next year, when it needs tires anyway, and since I decided on Toyo, I’ll still be spending less than on Michelin’s even with bigger tires. The trick is determining sizes that will work with your wheels, dual spacing, wheel well dimensions, etc.

Hope this helps - good luck!

And yes, you probably didn’t need the steering box - got to be careful with these shops, pay the price, and only go to certified Freightliner facilities only, or take your chances.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:40 PM   #8

I would do some low hanging fruit first. Have you taken your coach to the scales and check the wt and then calibrate your air pressure for the load? I would start there, its a cheep beginning to getting good data.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:15 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ftodaro - that was the first thing I did. Thanks for the idea.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:34 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Agree with others to have it looked at closely in Gaffney or one of the many locations around the country. We're on an XC and it rides like a dream. I'm often surprised when I open the door to find that it's windy because I couldn't tell going down the road. Cornering has been great and lane changes are effortless. We're on the Michelins on stock gear.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:55 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I was never truly pleased with the handling of our rig. I added the Koni's, Safe-T-Plus and MCU's front and rear. It certainly tightened up the handling and road manners. The harshness still remains on less than favorable roads. BTW, you didn't state if you were riding on G or H rated Michelins. If your on H rated, I"d suspect your about 10psi high on your rears, based on the Berkshire rear axle spec.

I went to Gaffney for other service work 6 months after the install of these components from our local truck and rv facility. Aside from a minor ride height adjustment, everything else on the chassis was spot on.

I believe the contributing factor is that i run on a straight front axle and not the IFS. Next rig will be IFS all the way.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 11:10 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Props2 - very astute observation on your part. My last coach had the H tires. FR decided to put the G's in on this coach. Maybe they thought they could save a buck or two. The G's require a lot more air to carry the same load which translate into a stiffer ride. I have already contacted Gaffney. They are booked 8 weeks out.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:42 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Bob...on both of my XCR chassis, the first thing I did after buying new, was to change shocks. Koni makes a shock for the front IFS, called the Koni EVO. On the rear, add the Koni FSD. They will take some of the sway out of the coach. The EVO's on the front....get rid of what I call "short chop", where the front end gets a short chopping motion on rough roads. They also took quite a bit of the thump out of larger pot holes.

It sounds like you've done and set everything else up correctly. You can email Freightliner, or look in your Manual for the ride height settings. They're actually easy to check. If they're off by more than an inch, they can make a coach ride and handle poorly, as they can throw off the balance/weight distribution of the chassis.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Bob...on both of my XCR chassis, the first thing I did after buying new, was to change shocks. Koni makes a shock for the front IFS, called the Koni EVO. On the rear, add the Koni FSD. They will take some of the sway out of the coach. The EVO's on the front....get rid of what I call "short chop", where the front end gets a short chopping motion on rough roads. They also took quite a bit of the thump out of larger pot holes.

It sounds like you've done and set everything else up correctly. You can email Freightliner, or look in your Manual for the ride height settings. They're actually easy to check. If they're off by more than an inch, they can make a coach ride and handle poorly, as they can throw off the balance/weight distribution of the chassis.
I checked the ride height and adjusted on my coach, after having to replace a leaking leveler, the spec is +- a 1/2 inch so its pretty specific.

Freightliner will give you the spec on the hotline, my front and rear were close but different. Its measured from the center of the bottom shock bolt to the bottom of the frame rail. I marked up a paint stir stick for the measurements front and rear to do a quick check from time to time.

Tags
chassis, upgrade