Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:11 AM   #1

Acu Gauge

Hi all,
We recently picked our new New Horizons fifth wheel.
I'm having trouble getting the tank gauges to read correctly. They either don't move enough, like tonight when the tub backed up and it only read 3/4, or to fast when you flush the toilet twice and it reads 1/4.
I've had them replace the panel before we left and that didn't do the trick either even after refilling the tanks and resetting them. Even after restting the tank, grey water, to full as per the instructions, it still read 1/4 when empty. And if I bump it down a bit to read empty, it stays there.
Anyone have any ideas or tips they might throw my way? I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,
Rick & Terry
Armenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2007, 03:34 PM   #2

Rick,

I'm not going to be much help here except to say I've had similar difficulties. Fresh and grey seem to track about right, especially since I've personally calibrated each. The black tank gauge just seems to have a mind of its own, so we simply don't rely on it. We dump on a regular basis and have never come close to the dreaded "burping" signal which means, "dump me, and I mean now!"

Take care...

Rick
StmbtRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:12 AM   #3
Bob&Donna

I guess they have changed the sensors on the newer New Horizons. Ours, a 2004 model, has the sensors on the outside of the tank and they are non-adjustable. In the almost 4 years of use, ours still gives us reliable info on the content of the tanks. I do notice that the black tank tends to read 1/4 full with only slight use, but I believe that is intentional so not to over fill it. We can still boon-dock for over a week without getting a full reading. Usually I will partially fill both the gray and black tanks after flushing them out and add a cleanser to each when we travel between campgrounds. The movement of the water and cleanser hopefully removes any residue in the tanks. The only problem I have encountered with them is the electric valve on the gray tank has broken twice. It has been replaced by Drainmaster for free. The only thing I can figure is there is an alignment problem in the pipe that causes the valve to bind. I have the 4 bolts that hold it in place barely more than finger tight.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:51 PM   #4

[received from Jim Rett while I was in Yellowstone]

Last summer I started having problems with my gauges too. I had heard of a better system that had been available at an Escapade, so I checked them out. They are called "SeeLevel" RV gauges and are made by Garnet Industries, Ltd. They are a take-off of a similar system that measures fuel oil in tankers. The vendor is VIP Enterprises (www.viprv.com, Phone: 734-516-2056 <http://www.viprv.com, phone: 734-516-2056/> ). The nice thing about these gauges is that they read tank levels to plus or minus 1% and they also perform diagnostics to predict the amount of sludge on the tank wall. I paid $200 for a flush-mount three-tank panel and three "long" sensors. The sensors are printed circuit boards that attach to the outsides of the tanks with a pre-applied adhesive.

The installation was simple enough. I did have to use a piece of veneer to mount the panel, as the cut out is smaller than the original NH gauges. This system also uses only two of the three wires installed originally. Once installed, I had difficulty getting the black and grey tanks to read correctly. The fact that the fresh read perfectly led me to the conclusion that the others must be pretty mucked up. So when we left Red River, NM, last summer we drove through Colorado Springs on our way east to pay a visit to "All Pro Water Flow" (www.allprowaterflow.com, Phone: 719-683-5275 <http://www.allprowaterflow.com, phone: 719-683-5275/> ). Preston Hall is a retired plumber who has developed a nozzle to fit on the end of a pressure washer hose that blasts the inside of the tank near perfectly clean. Our grey water tank oozed toothpaste consistency grey goop for nearly twenty minutes! Once cleaned, the gauges work perfectly. Which, of course, begs the question of whether or not I needed new gauges in the first place. I DO like the precision of the new ones, however.

All Pro also has franchisees in other states. Check the web site for info. BTW, this is also the guy who told me about the "Calgon Moisturizing Bath Oil Beads" and PineSol. We have not tried other softeners. Chris says these are available at WalMart and Target in the Beauty and Bath Products area.

OK, hope this helps. Feel free to share with others.

We came to Portland in the middle of June to stay a month. The day before we were going to leave, we went a little south to a State Park that has always been our favorite. Got talking to a Ranger who informed us that one of his camp hosts had to leave prematurely for health reasons, and that he was (desperately) looking for someone to fill in until the end of August. Soooo, long story short, we are now hosting at Champoeg State Park! Beautiful spot on the Willamette River with great hiking and biking and all we have to do for it is sell ice and firewood three days a week. It still amazes me how our lives can turn on a dime. Ya gotta love this lifestyle!

Enjoy Yellowstone....

C & J
Wandrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:14 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Still working on the gauges. Have been in contact with Snake River and although they talk a good game on the phone, their call backs are lacking.
Did get the dreaded "burp" while the tank read only 1/2. Shower was backed up at 3/4 on the grey. Set them both to full and dumped, both still read 1/4. Then after a while, the grey read empty. Could I be getting closer? Nope. Drove for several hours to our next stop, adding no water to either, and they both read 1/4.
Oh well, at least I don't have to mow a yard any more.
See you on the road and will post again if I come up with a solution.
Rick
Armenian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new horizons rv, nhog