Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2022, 10:52 AM   #1

Coleman Mach8 plus 15k took a dump

Well almost two years in and bedroom A/C bit the dust . Well sorta , it was slowly not working right last summer late . So I tried checking and cleaning to make sure everything was good . Even checked to make sure divider wasn’t letting air short circuit. Everything looked good but it starts frosting up after a couple of minutes of runtime. Closer inspection the accumulator located by compressor or that’s what I call it looks like it has been leaking. It’s still under warranty and have had someone do the performance check list for Coleman’s warranty process. I’ve heard if it’s a refrigerant related problem they just replace the unit . Oh by the way it’s also a heat pump unit . Next issue maybe getting a unit .
cwall59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2022, 11:03 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwall59 View Post
Well almost two years in and bedroom A/C bit the dust . Well sorta , it was slowly not working right last summer late . So I tried checking and cleaning to make sure everything was good . Even checked to make sure divider wasn’t letting air short circuit. Everything looked good but it starts frosting up after a couple of minutes of runtime. Closer inspection the accumulator located by compressor or that’s what I call it looks like it has been leaking. It’s still under warranty and have had someone do the performance check list for Coleman’s warranty process. I’ve heard if it’s a refrigerant related problem they just replace the unit . Oh by the way it’s also a heat pump unit . Next issue maybe getting a unit .
Sorry for your problems hopefully it gets resolved quickly. What is your year, make and Model of your rig? Curious did you have that performance check list done recently? Usually when AC units start having issues IMHO they don't get better with time so it's good your successful in getting this repaired or replaced quickly now that summer is here.
dmctlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:35 AM   #3

One of my Mach 8 heat pumps quit working (not cooling) not long after I took delivery in 2014. A local RV Tech determined that it had a refrigerant leak. Coleman sent a new replacement unit which the Tech installed. He took photos of the old unit, and then to my shock and surprise took a hammer to it and then more photos. He said he was required to prove to Coleman that it had been destroyed. I asked the tech if he wasn't at least allowed to salvage parts for future repairs and he said no, it had to be completely destroyed. I expected it to be shipped back and refurbed, but I suppose that costs more than just building a new one.

It's a sad throw-away world we now live in...
Burrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:01 AM   #4

It’s a 2020 NH Majestic, we picked it up July 2020 . I had a mobile tech I know do the performance test and of course it failed . I’m glad it is still under warranty time wise . Not sure if it was a bad braze job or a crack . I used to do a/c work so I’ve seen braze jobs that were bad and would pass pressure test . After awhile they would leak due to a incomplete braze . They take time but usually show up with run time .
Old 05-22-2022, 10:34 AM   #5

My friend that checked it out said we could probably salvage some parts. Hopefully he’s right, maybe he has a decoy unit we can send pictures of .
Old 05-27-2022, 03:45 PM   #6

Well an update on my a/c . Service tech did the warranty performance check and sent it to AirXcel . Got word back yesterday AirXcel will replace unit under warranty. Next question is when a unit will be available. Letter from AirXcel said old unit can be scrapped. New unit will be under warranty for the remainder of original units warranty. So maybe a month or two if unit gets here before then .
Old 05-27-2022, 04:07 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Next question is when a unit will be available. Letter from AirXcel said old unit can be scrapped.
My Mach 8 Plus in the bedrrom of my Winnebago died 22 months into it's life (it was a replacement unit for one the died 25-months into it's life). So, unllike the first one, this second unit was under warranty.

It only took 4-weeks to get a new one delivered and installed.

I used a local RV Repair shop that is also an AirXcel Authorized Repair facility and they said warranty replacements had priority. That surprised me but it took no time at all to get it in the shop.

I have a friend that was trying to get a new replacement that was not a warranty replacement and it took him nearly a year to receive it.

I hope you have the same kind of experience I had.

PS. My repair shop was sent from Heaven above - they actually installed a used Mach 8 they had in the shop in place of my broke A/C so that I could go on my Fall trip. The only charge to use theirs for a month was the R/R of the old unit.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
My Mach 8 Plus in the bedrrom of my Winnebago died 22 months into it's life (it was a replacement unit for one the died 25-months into it's life). So, unllike the first one, this second unit was under warranty.

It only took 4-weeks to get a new one delivered and installed.

I used a local RV Repair shop that is also an AirXcel Authorized Repair facility and they said warranty replacements had priority. That surprised me but it took no time at all to get it in the shop.

I have a friend that was trying to get a new replacement that was not a warranty replacement and it took him nearly a year to receive it.

I hope you have the same kind of experience I had.

PS. My repair shop was sent from Heaven above - they actually installed a used Mach 8 they had in the shop in place of my broke A/C so that I could go on my Fall trip. The only charge to use theirs for a month was the R/R of the old unit.
Luckily we have two other working a/c’s
Old 06-19-2022, 08:39 PM   #9

Update on my warranty A/C replacement. Got word that new A/C came in last week and is scheduled for swap out this week. Not too bad of a wait .
Old 06-20-2022, 07:01 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Update on my warranty A/C replacement. Got word that new A/C came in last week and is scheduled for swap out this week. Not too bad of a wait .
That's great news just in time for the summer !!!
dmctlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:38 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like you're on the way to a fixed unit. I want to say that providing a coolant leak is fixed or repaired, they CAN be recharged by installing a pinch valve- where freon can then be added. Also, make sure the fan is operated in the "low speed" mode.- This will keep the coil from freezing up- even though I think that's not the issue with yours.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
That's great news just in time for the summer !!!
Just got back from Colorado with a stay in Tucumcari NM where it was over 100 . We managed with the two working a/c’s . It was nice in Colorado luckily.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Sounds like you're on the way to a fixed unit. I want to say that providing a coolant leak is fixed or repaired, they CAN be recharged by installing a pinch valve- where freon can then be added. Also, make sure the fan is operated in the "low speed" mode.- This will keep the coil from freezing up- even though I think that's not the issue with yours.
Yep mine has a crack in the suction line by the compressor.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:42 PM   #14

Ok final update, new warranty a/c -heat pump unit was installed today . Mobile service installed it , they had it for a couple of weeks. Other customers were more in a bind than I was . This Texas heatwave had them scrambling. So I have about 2 weeks of warranty on the replacement. Good news I got to keep the old unit for parts .

Tags
coleman