Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2017, 07:58 AM   #1

Considering move to a New Horizon

Hello all. The wife and I are considering the move to a New Horizon. Just started researching and talking to the folks at NH. By reading here it looks like JennieB, Joe Hunt and CDWatkins have just taken delivery or are getting close. Was wondering if I was to private message you guys with my cell number if you might be willing to have a short phone conversation with me regarding your experience since you have just gone through this.

We may plan to go up to the NH rally in Spearfish as that sounds like it would be helpful as well with this process. As of now we plan to visit the NH facility in three weeks as we will be in the area.

Some of my questions would be:
1. Coal or Drew - could you recommend one over the other? Was your experience a good one
2. What truck - thinking of moving up to F450. Do you agree? Could go F550 if really needed.
3. Hauler bed - Did you guys go this route.

We currently have a 2015 39 ft Lifestyle pulled with a 2015 F350 DRW. We also pull a second trailer (Idaho Tote) with the Razor. I am legal length wise at 63ft, but close. I will not want to exceed 40ft on the NH to ensure I remain under the legal length of 65.My total combination weight is close to 30,000 now with both trailers. My set up has pulled comfortably with no issues. I will continue to pull the Razor trailer at 2000 lbs so I will be adding that weight to what ever a heavier NH weighs in at. I am planning to re-truck so either a F-450 or F-550 is likely in my future since most of our travels are in the mountains in the summer getting out of the Texas heat. At this point we are interested in the Majestic line and expect to weigh in at around 22,000 lbs or 24,000 to 25,000 with the Razor trailer. We will not be full timing.

We are on our summer trip to Colorado for the next 2 1/2 weeks up in the mountains camping. We go up to the Taylor Park and Lake city areas to ride Polaris Razors. If any of you on the forum were willing to talk to me about your experience I would be very great-full.
Thanks, Greg
gregk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #2

Greg we have a majestic 43' with 3 slides. We weight loaded 27250. With. Pin weight of 7,000
We went with the Dodge Ram 5500 HD and a classy Chassis hauler body and rear air ride. Our total weight is 39,000
The pin weight is what made us go to the 5500.
Love the truck, it does a great job. Just wish it had more HP.
As you will find out all the bigger trucks have been de-tuned.not sure the reason for that but they all do it.
With the 4.88 rear the truck will pull anything, just won't do it fast.
bobc2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:38 AM   #3

Bob,
Thanks for the reply. Did not realize the Ram 5500 had that low of a rear gear. I have a lot of research to do. My hope would be to be able to stay in the F450 territory as I plan to go with a floor plan in the Majestic 37 group. Hopefully pin weights will be a fit with the F450. I guess once we dial in on a unit and can come up with so close weights I can get clear on truck requirement.

Did Classy Chassis outfit your truck? I like the look of their beds. Was working with them a good experience? Thanks
Old 07-11-2017, 08:23 AM   #4

Greg
I have a 35 foot NH that I pull with a Volvo. The reason for the 4.88 gear ratio is the lack of torque which is compensated with a gear ratio. My pin weight is 4000 pounds empty. You may want to check escapees web site under HDT out. There is good info on that site. I am not saying the smaller trucks won't pull the large trailers but there are options and if you are pulling mountain you may want to investigate.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:11 AM   #5

First with NH we worked with Cole, had many phone calls and then spent 3 days at the factory going over all the details, they did a great job. I would just warn you that because these are custom built trailers. Once we got started we went from a 40' trailer to a 43' when it was all done.
We did everything with Classy Chassie, from ordering to truck to final build.
Keep in mind 5500's take some time to get, they are normally not a off the lot truck, CC did a great job for us, they really know what they are doing and took a lot of guess work out of what we were doing. We just told them what we were planing to pull with estimated weights and heights. They did the rest, including calls to NH on our set up, I can not recommend them enough, the set up was expensive but well worth it.
We did also look at HDT but was concerned as we get older getting in and out of one. In the end it would have been cheaper to do a HDT. We are very happy with our choice again just wish we had a little more power.
bobc2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:36 AM   #6

New Horizons Owners Club
Greg,

So far I have no real complaints, there was an issue with the inside wall color change, but it was a supplier issue, it was going to delay the build for 3-4 weeks but they sent a truck to the new supplier to get enough material to continue our build.

I have been dealing with Cole, so far he has been real accommodating, a little slow occasionally with replies but no major issues.

We have been to the factory several times to check on it, and Cole has always made time for our visits even on weekends when necessary.

Its a custom build so I expected some delays and we aren't in a hurry I prefer they take their time and do it right.

If you would like to talk in person, it will be 4 weeks before I'm back home but would be glad to give you a call then.
CDWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:31 AM   #7

Bob,
Thanks for your reply. This is going to be quite an ordeal, but hopefully a fun one. Couple of questions:
1. Who did you work with at Classy Chassis?
2. Did you have to order your truck or did you find one on a lot. Did you acquire the truck and then have to get it to them?
3. Of course not asking what you invested in your truck but just a general question - will a new truck and hauler bed be in the $80k $90k range?
4. Do you know approx loaded weight on your 43' NH. How about pin weight?
5. Was the pin weight the driver on your decision to step up to 5500. I would likely go F450 or F550. Not sure what might be negatives for one over the other.
Thanks in advance for your reply
Old 07-13-2017, 07:03 AM   #8

CDWatkins,
I notice from your signature that you haul a Goldwing. With your NH 42 and motorcycle and lift are you 24,000 to 26,000 loaded? Does your F350 do okay with those weights? We are planning meet with Drew at NH at their facility in two weeks. At that time we will have a better idea what size we will likely end up with. I guess then I can have a better idea if I can go F450, which I would prefer, or F550. Of course it would be great to stay with my current F350 but since most of our use is in Colorado it may make since to step up to larger TV. My pin would likely not be as high as the larger units but my combination weight may be since my Razor and Tote trailer are 2000lbs.

A little confused on the models. We are considering a NH 37 series unit. These are between 39 and 40ft in actual length. I pull the Idaho Tote trailer behind our 39 ft Lifestyle. The max actual length I can go with will need to stay under or at 40ft to remain under the 65 ft legal length. When I read what units folks have I am not sure if they are referring to the model or real length. I assume your Majestic 42 is actually approx 44ft.

I will send you a private message when you are back home and would really appreciate the opportunity to ask you a few questions since you have just gone through this adventure that we are considering.

Thanks, Greg