Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #1

Desk vs Dinette?

We came up with the idea of extending the island countertop 14" toward the dinette for the purpose of being able to sit in a barstool and eat on the "bar"/island. The purpose would be to do away with the dinette and substitute a built in desk for laptops etc. The vast majority of time, we do not anticipate having guests dine with us in the unit and the dinette would only accommodate a total of four anyway. If the weather is ok, I think we would more likely be outside when eating with friends. Are we missing something important here or is this a decent idea? I realize some of this is simply personal preference, but if there are practical considerations that we don't know about, some of you guys will know I'm sure. We checked the measurement at the factory and the extension did not seem to be a hindrance to walking by at all. Thoughts?
shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our previous coach had a table and chair setup instead of the dinette and it worked for us. The only complaint I had was that the chairs were not as comfortable as the plush seating we have in our current coach with a U shaped dinette. The other issue was there was no 'extra' bed for the kiddos with the table set up.
Rodg495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:40 AM   #3

When I said "dinette", I was referring to what NH calls their "buffet table" which is simply a small table attached to the wall and supported by one leg out toward the table end. The seating is free standing chairs.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:33 PM   #4

New Horizons Owners Club
Shill -

The forum member 13speed did kinda this in "Big Red". Send him a PM for more information. Also, there is a YouTube of the construction of "Big Red" you can look up. 13speed works from the road, so he has a whole office setup!

Hope that helps.

Just my two cents,
Ron
geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #5

How would the bar chairs travel? We have the buffet and the chairs are stored under the table when traveling but they are on carpet.
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #6

We took the freestanding dining table out of our trailer and replaced it with a desk. It has worked well for us.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdenn View Post
How would the bar chairs travel? We have the buffet and the chairs are stored under the table when traveling but they are on carpet.

Haven't gotten that far yet although other folks (Big Red) are using barstools so I guess they must have figured some way to do it.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #8

Our Summit came with the free standing table and chairs. I took those out so that I have a place for a large dog crate. (He's always crated in the trailer). On top of the crate I made a table top and cantilevered it over one end and one side. We bought 4 stackable stools, counter height that we use at the island and at the overhang on the crate top. Works really well. The stools will nest together, two stacked on the legs and two stacked on the top. They are tied together and ride perfectly in a spot on the carpet.
TomT66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT66 View Post
Our Summit came with the free standing table and chairs. I took those out so that I have a place for a large dog crate. (He's always crated in the trailer). On top of the crate I made a table top and cantilevered it over one end and one side. We bought 4 stackable stools, counter height that we use at the island and at the overhang on the crate top. Works really well. The stools will nest together, two stacked on the legs and two stacked on the top. They are tied together and ride perfectly in a spot on the carpet.
Very innovative idea that solves more than one issue. Good thinking.