Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2021, 11:25 AM   #15

New Horizons Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrington View Post
I had a truck breakdown one time and had a very hard time finding a tow company that could pull a heavy 5th wheel. A guy finally came with his personal hugely under-rated pickup and did the job. Has anyone ever had to find a tow company for a goose-neck? Would it be easier or harder to find than for a standard 5th wheel hitch?

Burrington, You bring up the same potential issue that Tom from Classy Chassis brought up to me. If stuck on the side of the road and need a tow for the fifth wheel, there may be an issue trying to find a tow truck to accommodate a gooseneck Gen-Y hitch?
goldiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2021, 04:47 PM   #16

This is the converter I previously mentioned. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0170H50...roduct_details
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 04:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
This is the converter I previously mentioned. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0170H50...roduct_details
Well there you go......that would resolve any concerns over having to be towed LOL
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:01 AM   #18

New Horizons Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Thanks Gary! You just solved my problem. Now I'm likely going back to the GenY hitch.
goldiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 05:10 PM   #19

Quote:
I have the Gen-y gooseneck on my 2021 Majestic. Ram 5500 so I don't have the tailgate issue. Have experienced no chucking.

I too was concerned about the weight rating on the Gen-Y. Mine is marked for 6500-8500 lbs and I have a tongue weight of about 4800#. But after 2000 miles I see the movement/flex that I would expect. And as I lower the hitch onto the ball see the indicator move into the middle of the green range.

Very happy with the Gen-y.
How big is your NH and how well does the Ram 5500 handle it? We are looking at both the NH and Ram 5500 or the F 650, just not sure but I would rather stay with the Ram.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:48 PM   #20

Quote:
A goose ball sits right at the bed of a truck. A 5th wheel hitch is roughly 12" off the bed of the truck.

That might be an issue depending on what type of gooseneck you have. The old style on my "race" trailer was able to be moved up and down. This is similar to how a horse trailer works.

The Gen-Y and Goosebox are in a fixed location. Using that adapter to hook into a 5th wheel would put the nose of your trailer around 12" high. In an emergency it would work. Just something to keep in mind.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 08:09 AM   #21

Lenny

I have a Ram 5500 and the Gen-y Gooseneck. 42' Majestic at about 26,000#. It is a great combination. Tows smoothly, brakes very well. No sway, really doesn't feel like it is there. Ride is smooth but I also have the Kindermann airbag suspension system on all four corners.

Trailer is about 1 degree nose up when hitched.

The adapter I had posted earlier was more for moving around a lot during service. I don't know that I would tow with it unless it was on a truck that would have a lower 5th wheel hitch.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:45 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Extending any pin box or increasing the height as in a goose neck design, increase the moment arm and stresses on the trailer frame where the pin box attaches to the frame. It is best to get written approval from the trailer manufacturer before altering the pin box and/or frame.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 01:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Lenny

I have a Ram 5500 and the Gen-y Gooseneck. 42' Majestic at about 26,000#. It is a great combination. Tows smoothly, brakes very well. No sway, really doesn't feel like it is there. Ride is smooth but I also have the Kindermann airbag suspension system on all four corners.

Trailer is about 1 degree nose up when hitched.

The adapter I had posted earlier was more for moving around a lot during service. I don't know that I would tow with it unless it was on a truck that would have a lower 5th wheel hitch.
Ghaynes,
Thanks for that. I would prefer to tow with a 5th wheel kingpin as opposed to a gooseneck. Prior to diesel pushers we use to have a 40' Keytone Raptor 5er with the kingpin.

Now after many years with the DP, we are looking at going back to a 5er as I feel they are more suited for long term living and if we get a toy hauler again it's almost like a second bedroom.

We towed our Raptor with my F450 dully diesel but I believe the NH is too heavy for that, but the Ram 5500 looks like it would work nicely. I noticed that is the set up you have and was wondering if you liked it and also how do you like the NH? Specifically, is it worth the price increase over say a Luxe?

In watching videos, NH went from a fiberglass roof to a TPO I believe which to me is a downgrade. I have a call into NH and I am waiting on Austin to return my call.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:39 PM   #24

Roof is PVC not TPO. Material is from Lasalle Bristol.

The difference between a Luxe and a NH Majestic $$$ has been shrinking. With Luxe you get to customize within the floorplans that they offer. With an NH it is fully customizable. And personal opinion once you see the frame on a New Horizon you won't want a frame from Lippert no matter how much others tell you that their frame is unique. FYI I had a 2017 Dutch Star a few years ago. NH is on an equal to the quality in a Newmar with the same strong product support.

The 5500 can be setup with a regular 5th wheel box. I've found that the gooseneck is easier/quicker on hitch and unhitch. And should you forget to 'latch' it with the 5/8" pin it still tows very well and you aren't likely to rip off the tailgate . I haven't forgotten the pin but I did tow once having forgotten to close the spring clip on the end. I have about 8300# of useful load on the 5500 and my pin weight on a 42 Majestic is about 5200# after doing my solar install.

XTRM PLY PVC Roofing - LaSalle Bristol

https://www.lasallebristol.com › xtrm-ply-pvc

The
Old 07-12-2022, 08:17 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
Ghaynes,
Thanks for that. I would prefer to tow with a 5th wheel kingpin as opposed to a gooseneck. Prior to diesel pushers we use to have a 40' Keytone Raptor 5er with the kingpin.

Now after many years with the DP, we are looking at going back to a 5er as I feel they are more suited for long term living and if we get a toy hauler again it's almost like a second bedroom.

We towed our Raptor with my F450 dully diesel but I believe the NH is too heavy for that, but the Ram 5500 looks like it would work nicely. I noticed that is the set up you have and was wondering if you liked it and also how do you like the NH? Specifically, is it worth the price increase over say a Luxe?

In watching videos, NH went from a fiberglass roof to a TPO I believe which to me is a downgrade. I have a call into NH and I am waiting on Austin to return my call.
I pull out 40’ Majestic with a 2020 F450 with no problems. Our Majestic has a gross weight of 26,500 but we will never get there . We travel a little under 24k with pin weight right at 4K . Depends on your build and size as to what you will need to pull with . We have a rear kitchen we designed, washer/dryer , dishwasher and generator. So we could have lightened up by eliminating some of these items . I believe the rear kitchen helps lighten the pin weight. We also didn’t go granite counter tops or wood floors and only have three slides . All of those increased weight and cost . Looked at Luxe but they weren’t willing to make changes to the build and I also don’t think the quality is close to NH .
cwall59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:46 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwall59 View Post
I pull out 40’ Majestic with a 2020 F450 with no problems. Our Majestic has a gross weight of 26,500 but we will never get there . We travel a little under 24k with pin weight right at 4K . Depends on your build and size as to what you will need to pull with . We have a rear kitchen we designed, washer/dryer , dishwasher and generator. So we could have lightened up by eliminating some of these items . I believe the rear kitchen helps lighten the pin weight. We also didn’t go granite counter tops or wood floors and only have three slides . All of those increased weight and cost . Looked at Luxe but they weren’t willing to make changes to the build and I also don’t think the quality is close to NH .
Thanks for the info. I spoke to Austin from NH and he was very helpful. I will assume my weight may be a little heavier than yours as the toy hauler will be in the range of 42-44' with a diesel generator and 4 slides plus two patios.

Well, at least that is the game plan for now as NH is 2 years out. In fact, a new build requires a $50k deposit in order to secure a build meeting in Sept. 2023.

Crazy huh?
Old 07-12-2022, 10:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Well, at least that is the game plan for now as NH is 2 years out. In fact, a new build requires a $50k deposit in order to secure a build meeting in Sept. 2023.

Crazy huh?
Yes, but its well worth the wait!
Burrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 08:05 AM   #28

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I spoke to Austin from NH and he was very helpful. I will assume my weight may be a little heavier than yours as the toy hauler will be in the range of 42-44' with a diesel generator and 4 slides plus two patios.

Crazy huh?
We ordered ours in September 2019 and it was ready March 2020 but couldn’t pick it up until July 2020 . Mostly due to unknowns of COVID, plant closures during COVID and inability to get my GENY hitch due to COVID. So I guess I’m lucky we ordered when we did . On top of all that l lost my job a few weeks before all the COVID thing started and had my 5thwheel and truck on order .So I’m not surprised by the delay in builds with all the supply chain issues now .
cwall59 is offline   Reply With Quote