Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #1

Hauler Body Design/Extras

We placed the order for our New Horizons Majestic last month and now have a good idea of our Fifth Wheel’s weight. It looks like we will purchase a Ram 5500 and likely have Utility Bodywerks (UB) build our hauler body (as well as install Kelderman air suspension).

My question is for those who have/had hauler bodies … what extras should we consider adding. At a minimum, we plan to speak with UB about installing their Elite hauler body (i.e., lots of storage compartments) and Kelderman air suspension.

Suggestions that our friend Stuart made (a New Horizon owner who has a UB hauler body) included having UB install:

* Hensley Trailersaver hitch (TSLB2H with 3rd airbag, for pin weight to 7,500lbs); they will connect the hitch air input to the air pump of the Kelderman, to save installing a separate air pump for the hitch.

* Video equipment for the RV cameras, a center console mounted video monitor, power and all of the wiring back to the receptacles where the RV cameras connect to the tow vehicle.

* Rear Bumper backup sensors.

Any other extra/option suggestions would be welcome.
ExcitedToRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 05:49 PM   #2

New Horizons Owners Club
I do not know where you are located, but if you're in the Florida area, you might want to go to the Tampa RV show next week and talk to Classy Chassis. He has also done a lot of trucks for RV and knows a lot about the trucks and the hauler body. Any special reason why you're looking at Dodge and not a Ford F-550?
dale60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #3

Not sure you can buy a new dodge 5500?
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale60 View Post
I do not know where you are located, but if you're in the Florida area, you might want to go to the Tampa RV show next week and talk to Classy Chassis. He has also done a lot of trucks for RV and knows a lot about the trucks and the hauler body. Any special reason why you're looking at Dodge and not a Ford F-550?
Dale,

Thank you for the reply. I am not in Florida, so will not be attending the Tampa RV Show. The reason for the 2014 Ram 5500 versus the 2014 F-550 is for various reasons, most importantly the higher RGAWR and particularly the higher GCWR (37,500 versus 35,000) for the Ram 5500. Given my estimated weights, I like/need the extra margin. It also does not hurt that the internal/external finishing is a little nicer on the 5500, IMHO.

Lynn
Old 01-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
Not sure you can buy a new dodge 5500?
John and Susan, Thank you for your reply.

The Ram dealer was very willing to sell me a new Ram 5500, when I was at the dealer this weekend . I am looking for potential suggestion, beyond the good suggestions that I listed above, that will help me best design the hauler body for the Ram 5500.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #6

New Horizons Owners Club
I'd recommend the ET hitch (www.ethitch.com) -- uses 4 air bags; my unit (5k pin wt) uses less than 30psi, much smoother ride than original, TS hitch (80psi needed for the "white" travel-height mark)... my 2¢ worth!

-Don
DonF888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #7

Don, a delayed thank you for your response.
-------
To those who may be reading this thread to obtain ideas for their hauler body, below are some of the options/modifications we incorporated into ours.
  • Kelderman 4 link rear and front air suspension
  • 75 gal l shaped auxiliary fuel tank, rhino lined
  • Locking fuel door cover, painted body color
  • Locking spare tire tie down
  • Rhino lined bumper surface, with painted bumper and stainless steel corners and trim
  • Rhino lined deck surface and sidewalls inside bed
  • Power point in cabinet
  • Ram backup camera on rear body panel
  • Tie down system using an aircraft system
We are very happy with our Ram 5500. Utility Bodywerks did a great job and Bart at Sorg Dodge was a pleasure to work with. A pleasant purchasing experience and a great end-product, which we plan to enjoy for years!
Old 04-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #8

I really wish I'd gotten Rhino lining, as you're doing!
Also, my Int'l truck has a built-in air compressor, for which I've been thankful many, *many* times.

Good luck!
Yonderin' is offline   Reply With Quote