RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:16 AM   #1

How is your generator set to startup

I have a question about how everyoneís generator if they have one is setup to run ? I have a generator with the Magnum auto start system and the Victron inverter . The only way I have found I can get it to start up is to push the test button. When it starts in test it only runs for a pre determined time of about a minute. I wouldnít think you would have to let your batteries get so low that that would be the only way it would trigger a gen start. Iíve tried killing shore power and that doesnít do anything. It would be nice to have it ready to come on when needed if you have it enabled when you loose power or be able to start it up to run an A/C if needed. I also have 4 Battleborn lithium batteries.
cwall59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2020, 10:55 PM   #2

Remembering from a Class A with a magnum controller there is a knob that allows you to flip between different options. In one of those was AGS and if you click it there were conditions that you told the system to kick the generator on. Magnum likely has manual on their site to help ?? Think temperature, battery voltage were among two I played with. Also have a place to tell it how long and quiet times so it doesn't turn on in the middle of the night
lefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:48 AM   #3

My NH has a manual generator switch to run the generator on demand. Press the top of the switch and hold until the generator starts. Press the button down to stop it.

I'm not familiar with the Victron System, but my Magnum Inverter has the Automatic Generator Start (AGS) which can be set up to automatically start the generator under pre-set conditions like battery state of charge, battery voltage, quiet hours, etc. Once the conditions are set, you can then select OFF, Manual, or Auto. In Auto, it runs automatically as per the conditions you previously set. In Manual, the generator starts and runs until you switch it to Off or Auto.

In practice, you don't want the generator to run all the time. It goes through propane way to fast to do that. You don't want it to start as soon as the shorepower goes off. You want to run on the inverter and batteries until the batteries are low and then run the generator to charge them up again. I found the best method for my AGM batteries is to set the generator to start when State of Charge (SOC) drops to 50%, then shut off again when the SOC gets up to 80%. Dropping below 10.5 volts (which is 50% SOC on my system) causes permanent damage to Lead Acid batteries. The charge rate drops off drastically above 80% SOC requiring the generator to run much longer to fill the last 20%. (Think of pumping up a tire - it fills 50 to 80 psi a lot quicker than 80 to 100 psi). So staying within the 50% to 80% range is a good compromise between avoiding battery damage, and minimizing propane use.

I sometimes start the generator manually to run the AC's. The batteries are charged up at the same time. The AGS can be set to NOT run during quiet hours, but what happens if the batteries get down to 50% before quiet time ends? So, about an hour before quiet time, I always check the SOC and may manually start the gen to bring the batteries up sufficiently to last for the night.

The Magnum AGS can also be set to not run during certain times of day (separately from quiet time). That feature can be used to allow the solar panels to charge the batteries during the day, then allow the generator to charge whatever is left after the sun goes down. Otherwise the generator might auto-start in the early morning when the solar could have done the job during the day.

The Magnum AGS is an awesome tool, but in real life it still needs some manual attention to satisfy your needs.

Note that your Lithium batteries are quite different than Lead Acids. You can run them to a much lower SOC without damage. The rate of charge still drops off as they become charged, so you still don't want to burn the fuel to charge them to 100%. Something like 20% to 80% might be a good starting point.

Check your owner's manual for instructions how to make all the settings.
Burrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:29 AM   #4

I have not found a on switch to run generator manually.The switch inside has an off , enable and test position. Gen will run when test position is pressed for about a minute. I cannot get it to start in enable position. I put it in enable and disconnected the shore power . I let inside temperature get to 90 and still no go . I haven’t tried draining batteries to see if it would start . I would like to be able to start the generator to run A/C’s when shore power isn’t available whenever I want to . I wouldn’t need to use it that way very often . The Victron panel inside has generator start setting’s but no one at NH knows how to set it up . I’m scheduled to take it back and hopefully they will have a solution to this issue. Was told at orientation that they didn’t know much about the Victron system and a cable might be needed to make it work with the generator.Pretty sad when your given an option on things and no one knows anything about what they are selling. I’ve looked at both the Victron information ,Magnum AGS information and can’t make out anything. I guess I’ll see if NH can figure it out.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:59 AM   #5

Is this your Magnum system? If so, looks like you have to get the optional ME-PT2 adapter (see appendix on page 29) and wire it to a switch to be able to manually start the generator from the panel. Otherwise, you should be able to start the generator directly from its control panel.
jmadren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwall59 View Post
I have not found a on switch to run generator manually.The switch inside has an off , enable and test position. Gen will run when test position is pressed for about a minute. I cannot get it to start in enable position. I put it in enable and disconnected the shore power . I let inside temperature get to 90 and still no go . I havenít tried draining batteries to see if it would start . I would like to be able to start the generator to run A/Cís when shore power isnít available whenever I want to . I wouldnít need to use it that way very often . The Victron panel inside has generator start settingís but no one at NH knows how to set it up . Iím scheduled to take it back and hopefully they will have a solution to this issue. Was told at orientation that they didnít know much about the Victron system and a cable might be needed to make it work with the generator.Pretty sad when your given an option on things and no one knows anything about what they are selling. Iíve looked at both the Victron information ,Magnum AGS information and canít make out anything. I guess Iíll see if NH can figure it out.
Have you posted your question to the New Horizons Facebook group? Lots of great help there.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:19 PM   #7

Do you have the Firefly system onboard? If so you should have a place to start the generator on your main control panel.
If you have the Magnum control panel inside you should be able to go the the generator section and set it to "RUN" and start it there as well.
With he Auto Start you can set the gen to start when the batteries get to a certain level of your choosing.
HDrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slallen1262 View Post
Have you posted your question to the New Horizons Facebook group? Lots of great help there.
Iím taking it to NH next week to drop it off for a few issues. They will address that along with the other items on our list.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
Do you have the Firefly system onboard? If so you should have a place to start the generator on your main control panel.
If you have the Magnum control panel inside you should be able to go the the generator section and set it to "RUN" and start it there as well.
With he Auto Start you can set the gen to start when the batteries get to a certain level of your choosing.
I do have the firefly panel and I didn’t think to look there . No one mentioned that during the orientation and follow up calls . During the orientation there was a mention of a cable that might need to be installed to make it all work. Kinda surprised that wouldn’t have been caught during a test after completion of the unit.
Just checked and did find the generator start on the firefly. Thanks for the information. The owners manual I was given is on a flash drive and most of the information is out of date or general in nature .
Old 09-18-2020, 01:58 PM   #10

So I tried the generator start on the firefly panel and it does start the generator. Bad news is thatís all it does . I killed shore power to Trailer and started generator. Generator starts but I canít get A/C Ďs to come on . It doesnít seem like the transfer switch transferred from shore to generator. Unless there is another step Iím missing Iím at a dead end . When Iíve tried the test button you can hear the generator and transfer switch working . Usually if you start a generator and the transfer switch doesnít detect line voltage the transfer switch will change over to generator power . When line voltage is restored it switches back to line after it is satisfied that power is stable . Generator will stay on for a predetermined time for cool down .
Old 09-18-2020, 10:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwall59 View Post
So I tried the generator start on the firefly panel and it does start the generator. Bad news is that’s all it does . I killed shore power to Trailer and started generator. Generator starts but I can’t get A/C ‘s to come on . It doesn’t seem like the transfer switch transferred from shore to generator. Unless there is another step I’m missing I’m at a dead end . When I’ve tried the test button you can hear the generator and transfer switch working . Usually if you start a generator and the transfer switch doesn’t detect line voltage the transfer switch will change over to generator power . When line voltage is restored it switches back to line after it is satisfied that power is stable . Generator will stay on for a predetermined time for cool down .
There is a delay in the transfer switch and also a delay in the Progressive Energy Management System. The delay in the transfer switch is built in to allow the generator to warm up for a few seconds before throwing the heavy load on it. The delay in the EMS is to allow it to analyze the incoming power, and make sure it is stable before applying the power. Did you wait a minute or so for all the delays to take place?

Also make sure both breakers on the front of the generator are turned on.
Burrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:41 PM   #12

Double check the generator to make sure the breakers are on. When working on my fuel pump issue I turned them off and then forgot to switch them back on. Generator ran great but AC didn't work till I happened to remove the gen cover for something else . Mine are under the gen cover to the left, two breakers.

BTW if you get it running that the gen will auto start under either a interior temp or low battery voltage condition shoot me a note. I didn't get it setup when I did the order. KEn I think said they'd never had someone order it and wasn't really sure how to hook other than shoot me a note on a magnum auto start. I took it to a local rv shop to add on and they hooked up the magnum controller to the magnum system in the beast. Turns out didn't work and they finally figured out in talking with Magnum and firefly that the two systems won't work together but actually conflict with each other when you try this. They use the hookup in all their AGS fixes but had never dealt with the firefly system

Firefly told me after many emails that if I could tell them the input to use, and it's not loss of power or else the generator will turn on when you unhook, then they could reprogram the board to autoturn on. For $1200 and send the board to them for 6-8 weeks. Will start looking agin shortly and see what magnum has to say about how to rig. Seems like it'd be easy with their temp sensor add on but they didnt sound like they liked the firelfy involved.
lefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:36 PM   #13

I did not check breakers on the generator. It the way I picked it a month or so ago . It did run for about 5 minutes before I shut it down .
Old 09-19-2020, 03:38 PM   #14

Before I found the manual start on the fire fly I tried the start on temp and that didn’t work .

Tags
generator