Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2018, 11:01 PM   #1

If You Could Do It Again......

What changes would you make in building your dream new Horizons home? Just curious what some of you might say who have actually thought through, built, and are now living in your custom New Horizons home. The build process includes a mountain of choices and my guess is that it is virtually impossible to address each and every option that may turn out to be important to a purchaser. We do the best we can but hearing from real world experience can provide the best ideas and/or advice. Thanks.
shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2018, 06:37 AM   #2

I would have built a 1' longer unit to give me 6" more space on either side of my king size bed.
I would have asked if they could have used SharkBite connectors on all pex pipe connections.
Instead of my washer dryer stacked on top of each other, I'd have them separated by a shelf.

Other than that, I'm super happy with my build.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:43 AM   #3

rawn77.....Thank you so much for your reply. I've noticed that your comments elsewhere on the forum have been very thoughtful and I appreciate it. I think we have the room on the side of the king bed taken care of but the connectors are something I noticed but it didn't click. That is something I will definitely take up with NH.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:31 PM   #4

You're very welcome.

One more thing I thought of. There's an on/off switch for the Bigfoot leveling system that must be toggled before and after departure. My switch is located in the front compartment which is a bit awkward to access while the truck is attached. I will have NH relocate the switch to inside the driver side basement access door next time I bring my RV to them.
You might want to specify that prior to a build.
Good luck!
Ron
Old 09-07-2018, 04:04 PM   #5

A second furnace. I would have had slide toppers from girard. My switch for bigfoot is right next to the bigfoot controler where it should be. I have a 10 cu ft propane refrigerator which would be a 120 volt if I had another built.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:16 PM   #6

I have heard of issues with neverlube bearings. I would research with moryde but probably go with greasable bearings. Moryde IS suspension is great with the 17.5 h rated tires. I know it is overkill but if you didn't want overkill you would not be looking at a New Horizons. Generally Way better than what you hear from most other manufactures.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawn77 View Post
You're very welcome.

There's an on/off switch for the Bigfoot leveling system that must be toggled before and after departure. My switch is located in the front compartment which is a bit awkward to access while the truck is attached.
Ron

Hey Ron.....Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely make sure that is taken care of appropriately during the build. Looking at Dadej's post above, it would appear they might have that figured out now.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:06 PM   #8

Dadej.....We are thinking of starting without the slide toppers and adding them later if we decide to go that way. Why the Girard? Is/are your main awning(s) another brand or Girard?

I definitely plan to discuss the bearing lubrication issue. That's an age old issue which is actually a point of contention in many different types of applications. I don't think there is a perfect answer to it. As long as the Never Lubes work as designed, they're great, but otherwise....ugh! And I have always felt better when I can make sure the bearings stay greased. Either way, when a failure occurs it is really bad news. Thanks for your input.

Skip
Old 09-07-2018, 08:40 PM   #9

A small modification/addition that we added was a tank sensor monitor in the outside compartment (in addition to the inside monitor). It is one of those very nice to haves when back-flushing or filling the fresh tank. This can likely also be added later.
20X on the greaseable bearings, we are about to have ours switched to greaseable.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcitedToRv View Post
A small modification/addition that we added was a tank sensor monitor in the outside compartment (in addition to the inside monitor). It is one of those very nice to haves when back-flushing or filling the fresh tank. This can likely also be added later.
20X on the greaseable bearings, we are about to have ours switched to greaseable.

Wow, that's pretty definitive sounding on the bearings. Thanks.

Good to know about the tank sensor. I hadn't really thought about the fact that doing any operation with the tank while outside leaves you with no monitor at hand.

Much appreciated.

Skip
Old 09-07-2018, 09:18 PM   #11

External sensor readings in the wet bay compartment is now standard
Old 09-08-2018, 11:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawn77 View Post
You're very welcome.

One more thing I thought of. There's an on/off switch for the Bigfoot leveling system that must be toggled before and after departure. My switch is located in the front compartment which is a bit awkward to access while the truck is attached. I will have NH relocate the switch to inside the driver side basement access door next time I bring my RV to them.
You might want to specify that prior to a build.
Good luck!
Ron
I installed my own switch inside the little door where the bigfoot controller is. That is the perfect location for convenience and visual reminder to do it. By the way, I have not had a single failure to auto level properly since I installed the switch.
Burrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:03 PM   #13

I would do a better job of keeping all my email communications during the design and build process. I spent several years planing my rig inside my head before I finally started the buying process. I was getting confused on multiple emails and decided to delete all except the most recent. Turns out NH was having problems with their ordering database crashing and a bunch of stuff I had requested got dropped and weren't discovered by me until the unit was almost complete. As a result a number of items had to be installed in not the most optimum ways, and a few turned out to be so complicated to try to add later that I just dropped them.
CowboyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyFrank View Post
I would do a better job of keeping all my email communications during the design and build process. I spent several years planing my rig inside my head before I finally started the buying process. I was getting confused on multiple emails and decided to delete all except the most recent. Turns out NH was having problems with their ordering database crashing and a bunch of stuff I had requested got dropped and weren't discovered by me until the unit was almost complete. As a result a number of items had to be installed in not the most optimum ways, and a few turned out to be so complicated to try to add later that I just dropped them.
That seems to be a ongoing problem with New Horizon, we are going through the same thing before the first weld is even done by them not ordering the EZ Lube in time, now we either let them install Nevr Lube or let them switch us to Kodiak or have the build start date delayed. Hmm, now why did we give them so much money up front if not to order parts with it.
We were warned.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote