RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:24 AM   #15

Well I know of a nice used pretty loaded 2020 New Horizons that just hit their website and the Classifieds here and RV Trader, just sayin LOL!!!!
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2020, 12:38 PM   #16

New Horizons Owners Club
I agree with all the above posts, we researched all Mfg. and you will not find a better built coach anywhere!!
The biggest issues we had was during the build no QA/QC, If they in-fact are hiring a full time person for that position then it should cure a lot of warranty issues later, and lighten the load on Ken's crew.
CDWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:56 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Rob --

Welcome to the forum! My apologies for a late reply. I have a work colleague who owns a Grand Design Solitude fifth wheel as his "pre-retirement toy" that he and his wife own. They love the floor plan (I don't know which one) and have had zero problems with their rig.

As a potential first time buyer of an RV, I'd recommend for personal financial reasons that you consider purchasing a good condition, gently used 2-3 year old fifth wheel so in case you don't like the RV life, you do not suffer the steep value depreciation that occurs during the first couple of years of owning a new RV. Consignment dealers are a great place to shop for a 2-3 year old RV to "lay hands" on a specific RV. As others have mentioned you can shop on line at websites such as RV Trader but the disadvantage of on-line shopping is inability to physically see / touch the RV.

As an example, the Houston area has a large consignment dealership by the name of PPL Motorhomes. They currently have a good selection of 2-3 year old fifth wheels to peruse such as this Grand Design Solitude 42 foot model --> https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...itude_rv-45687

Finally as others have stated, getting the right size truck to tow a fifth wheel is essential. My work colleague initially towed his Grand Design with a Chevy 2500 HD but after several months traded the Chevy for a Ford F350 with dual rear wheels. That colleague decided after a few "white knuckle" trips in strong cross winds that he wanted the extra towing capacity and stability of a one ton truck with dual rear wheels.

Please let the forum know which fifth wheel you decide to purchase! Good luck with your shopping!
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:35 AM   #18

Finally as others have stated, getting the right size truck to tow a fifth wheel is essential. My work colleague initially towed his Grand Design with a Chevy 2500 HD but after several months traded the Chevy for a Ford F350 with dual rear wheels. That colleague decided after a few "white knuckle" trips in strong cross winds that he wanted the extra towing capacity and stability of a one ton truck with dual rear wheels.
-------------------------------------------

Let me echo this "enough truck" to any first time buyer. Tow ratings meaning nothing as they are not based on RV type 5th wheels. (The demoed trailer is a goose neck and that matters.). The limiting factor is rear axle weight rating (capacity) and combined (trailer and truck combined) weight.

Most New Horizons required a Ram 5500HD or if you prefer a Ford F-550. Research and learn about trailer weights including pin weights. Learn about truck capacities and pay zero attention to what any sales guy tells you about how "They pull big trailers with those F-150's all the time."

This a very big deal.
DTVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:05 PM   #19

Thank you everyone for the replies so far. Back in August, we purchased a 2019 F450. My plan is to keep the 5th wheel GVWR below 24k lbs. Based upon the specs of the F450, it should handle that weight in fine manner.

We have it narrowed down to a Luxe 39FB, and a smaller New Horizons Majestic. I hate that Luxe does not have a water manifold. We really like the half bath in the 39FB. Have not put my hands and eyes on a NH. Based upon my research, I believe it to be a better build. Time is currently on my side, so, we shall see.
Rob_from_Aho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:05 AM   #20

Rob
Did you not read DTVguy post? He said 550 not 450 for a reason. A 450 is just a glorified 350. Listen to these seasoned peoples advice.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
Rob
Did you not read DTVguy post? He said 550 not 450 for a reason. A 450 is just a glorified 350. Listen to these seasoned peoples advice.
No disrespect to DTVguy, but I do not agree. Are you going to bring data with your argument, or just passion? I know exactly what an F450 is, and what type of loads for which it is rated. Do you? I trust science, and the engineers using it to design this truck. Ideally, I would like to keep the GVWR of the trailer at 22k or less.

2019 F450 5th wheel towing specs (6.7L PowerStroke, 4x4):

Payload: 5310 lbs
Towing: 32,500 lbs

Advantages of F450 over F350: Wide front axle for better turning radius, bigger brakes.

Disadvantage of F450 vs F350: Lower payload rating.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:22 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_from_Aho View Post
No disrespect to DTVguy, but I do not agree. Are you going to bring data with your argument, or just passion? I know exactly what an F450 is, and what type of loads for which it is rated. Do you? I trust science, and the engineers using it to design this truck. Ideally, I would like to keep the GVWR of the trailer at 22k or less.

2019 F450 5th wheel towing specs (6.7L PowerStroke, 4x4):

Payload: 5310 lbs
Towing: 32,500 lbs

Advantages of F450 over F350: Wide front axle for better turning radius, bigger brakes.

Disadvantage of F450 vs F350: Lower payload rating.
Do I have facts to backup my opinion? Yes, I do and have provided rig / tow vehicle specification and “selection” information for literally dozens of trucks for RVers wanting to know the facts to help with their selection. These interactive spreadsheets I developed considered RAWR (where the F-450 typically first “fails”), GCVWR, GVWR vs. pin weight / rig weight, etc. I’ve done this for well over a decade. This includes personal towing experience for all 49 states and all of the Canadian Province’s including the NWT; well over 150,000 logged 5th wheel towing miles. I also drove semis which means little but does contribute to my factual as well as experiential knowledge.

I have nothing against a “F-450” as such. But in some cases, the F-350 is actually a better choice due to RAWR depending on the model year and the trailer in question. “It depends.” Again, especially on the model year. Specifications change.

However, fact is, the Ram 5500HD, beginning with the model year 2013, is the best overall MDT (medium duty truck) for many New Horizons if one does not want to go to, or must go to, class VI or more. This is due, IMO, to having a more effective exhaust brake. However, some like Fords and if so the F-550 is fine specification wise. But the exhaust brake is just not as effective. Yes, I’ve driven both. Earlier variants of the F-550 also had less HP and torque but not so with current offerings. Nonetheless, a choice. Both meet the specification criteria.

(The 5500HD / 550 are class V trucks. The F-450 “pickup” is a class III truck same as the F-350 / Chevy 3500. The F-450 COMMERCIAL variant is a class IV due GVWR. But the commercial F-450 is not the truck most think of when they say “F-450.)

The F-450 has a bunch of horsepower (so does a Chevy 3500), but due to the RAWR it is not as good a choice for some larger trailers. “It depends.” It will run up the mountain faster, sure; maybe 15 seconds faster. But that’s not the reason to choose it as a tow vehicle IF the RAWR is exceeded especially with a hauler bed and aux fuel tank adding a lot of weight to the rear axle when one includes the heavy pin weight of most NH Majestics. The newer Summits are lighter pin-weight wise. Again, "it depends." (BTW, payload is usually not the limiting factor as most all of the weight goes on the rear axle and payload includes front axle contribution.) And on a tangential subject, with a NH – and many 5th wheels – a hauler bed is simply required due to trailer-to-truck bed rail clearance issues. An important issue some are not aware of; especially first-time 5th wheel RVers.

I won’t go on. I’ve written the same thing too many times to count. My simple statement is not based on one or two specifications. It is based on doing the math and understanding where the INTERACTIVE weight limitations are of tow vehicles vs. big 5th wheels. I never said don’t by an F-450. I said, do research and become educated. This is not passion, except for safety. It is math. Hope that answers your question.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:07 PM   #23

Well written, and understood. However, my reply was with respect to the comment of another. The F450 is suited for my stated purposes, per spec. Bed rail clearance issue has been studied, and understood. There are several solutions to this issue without having to lose the utility of a standard bed.

Now, what are your thoughts on the NH vs a Luxe?
Old 10-24-2020, 01:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_from_Aho View Post

Now, what are your thoughts on the NH vs a Luxe?
Luxe has been through a few management changes over the years. It started with two offerings and now has grown at least as to the production line type rigs. I haven’t been in one now for about 2 years so I won’t offer much perspective as to construction without a lot of current research. But the ones I saw didn’t measure up to the NH Majestic.

I will say this: I notice the Luxe is still using the 24K MOR/ryde pin box on trailers. I know the MOR/ryde product is tested to 3x load specs, but legally that is the limiting number for the trailer. This tells me they are probably still using the same Lippert frame. If so, I wouldn’t go that way. The upper end trailer I checked out the last time had only 1,000lbs cargo capacity once loaded with all the usual options. (That was on the DOT sticker.) The fact they would offer such a unit for sale bothered me. But DRV prior to Thor’s purchase has done the same. Seen it in person. Put a full tank of water in it and it was essentially full before one put clothes in it. But that was a while ago. Things change.

The NH Majestics guarantee 3,000lbs cargo capacity. (Mine had over 5,000. It depends.) Trust but verify. I’ve seen them miss the 3,000lbs and had to change the axles to 8K from 7K after manufacture. Never trust any manufacture concerning an off-the-line weight before a specific rig is weighed. And published weights are “always” w\o necessary / desirable options. But nonetheless I’d be careful about the CCC with the Luxe once loaded up as most buyers will option them out. Think at least 2,500lbs worth of your stuff. I’m not sure about the guaranteed CCC on the new NH Summits. When one says “New Horizons” I think Majestic.

I also note the Luxe are 13’3”. So, based on your note of knowing how to deal with truck to bed rail clearance there is only 3” one can raise the trailer while keeping it level. Keep 13’3” in mind if you are planning on lifting the trailer via the MOR/ryde IS 1-1/2” lift capability or the 3” beam fix, which is expensive after the fact. I also note Luxe is selling trucks with hauler beds. (RV Hauler beds with lots of storage, not flat beds.) There is a reason for that. Most are class V 5500 / 550 trucks including the necessary air-ride hitch in the truck which is also like 350 odd pounds directly on the rear axle. Looks like they are re-badged Utility Body Works products. That would make sense. The two companies are like 10 miles or less apart in Elkhart.

Summary: I would go with a NH regardless. NH has its problems as do all. But they will fix them at the factory after the sale. NH is a good rig with a superior frame, but a good long PDI is critical at delivery at the factory. Not sure Luxe will work on the rigs at the factory after the sale. DRV won’t anymore after their sale to Thor. I’d check that out. I also would not tow most Majestics with an F-450 due to pin weight and certainly not without a hauler bed. But you seem to have all that covered and that’s fine. You’re just looking for opinions.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:20 PM   #25

Thank you very much for the info! Funny you mention the 1k CCC on the Luxe. We looked at a 2017 39FB on a consignment lot down in Florida. The Tire and Loading tag had a 1150 lb cargo limit. I found this concerning, so I contacted Luxe, giving them the info on the unit. Their reply was that it was mislabeled, and they had new tags printed up for it and wanted to know the trailer's location. Very strange. I do believe they still us Lippert frames. Below is the info that the factory sent when I asked about corrected GVWR and UVW for the unit:

"The GVWR is 23,000, the ship weight is 18,710 making the cargo capacity 4,290 lbs."
Old 11-14-2020, 05:57 PM   #26

Consider a previously owned New Horizons

Agree with many of the above replies.

We choose New Horizons due to their quality build, compared to other RV builders. We have enjoyed living full-time in our 2014 40’ Majestic since purchase (i.e., 6.5 years). Other than the QA issues (addressed during a 4-week pick-up and subsequently) and the related time out of our lives, we have enjoyed/are continuing to enjoy our New Horizons Majestic.

With that said, if you can find a used New Horizons that meets your needs, that would be my recommendation. I know someone will be a very lucky owner of ours (i.e., MANY upgrades/enhancements, well maintained) in the future, with one of the biggest pluses being someone else has already identified and taken care of the QA issues. If we were to do it all over again, one of our goals would be to avoid the time and frustration of dealing with QA issues--we would purchase a well-cared-for and previously owned New Horizons (i.e., the best of both worlds--a quality build and we would have more time to spend enjoying the lifestyle).
Old 11-20-2020, 07:21 PM   #27

NH

I'd offer a slightly different opinion. Have you considered a Summit? They have a 39FB4S that has 1.5 baths. You can do a hybrid and get the Majestic interior. We tow with a F350 and the trailer maxes at 22,750. Scale weights indicate that we have a 1100 lb reserve on the rear axle. We gave up the aux fuel tank but that was the only compromise. The only time I wanted more truck was in Colorado when we went to the rally. Canada and Alaska were not an issue. A 5500 truck could be a benefit if you were towing in very hilly terrain. However they are expensive to buy, expensive to insure, and many companies will not insure them.
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:16 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdenn View Post
I'd offer a slightly different opinion. Have you considered a Summit?
I would consider a Summit. However, I do desire IS and disc brakes, which are options based upon my understanding. We are looking to buy used, and I have only seen one or two Summits for sale, and neither had both of those options. The smaller (34'-36') used Majestics that I have inquired about have a GVWR of 22k lbs.

Tags
horizon, new owner