RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:48 AM   #1

Interested in Hearing Opinions on New Horizons (potential new owner)

The lady and I are looking at 5th wheels for our retirement years. We have zero experience with RVs. We are limiting our scope to DRV, Luxe, and New Horizons. It is my impression, based upon internet research only, that the New Horizons is a level above the two others. I would love to hear opinions on what your decision process was leading up to your purchase of a New Horizons. Also, your experience with build quality of the unit(s).

Thanks!
Rob
Rob_from_Aho is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2020, 05:32 PM   #2

Take DRV off your list. We're looking at a used New Horizons to replace it with. Too many repeating issues.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:42 PM   #3

I agree take DRV off from the list. If you want to replace it check the Riverstone Legacy not NH or Luxe but better than DRV.
buc1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:15 PM   #4

Saw a couple Luxe and had a friend that had one, marked it off the list. Toured DRV and saw many and even though we REALLY wanted to like them enough to go that direction and save a few bucks we just couldn't. So, we ended up going with New Horizon and like them well enough that we are about to pull the trigger on a second unit from them and let our current New Horizon hit he For Sale columns.
Obviously if we didn't feel they were a quality unit we wouldn't be doing this.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:59 AM   #5

NH is clearly a “better” coach then the other two. “Clearly better.” But “better” is not about pretty colors. One of the key points, especially if you are a full-timer, is cargo carrying capacity. CCC. That is what the trailer is rated to carry when it comes off the assembly line and when you take delivery. The base weight off the assembly line is the ONLY weight one can believe. It must be placarded by law on the trailer. Any published spec sheet will not take into consideration any options that are added, like a second air-conditioner, etc. which reduces CCC. Overloaded trailers are not safe and literally can break. I’ve have seen that happen and it is not pretty.

NH are generally rated at a minimum of 3,000 lbs. CCC which is OK and is not all that much in full-timer reality. Your “stuff,” including food and clothes, weight a lot more than you think. I’ve seen the other brands with such a low CCC they were simply not useable for full-timing and stay within axle and hitch ratings. YMMV

RV’s are not built like cars. That is, they are all one-of builds. Even production line RV’s are one-of’s. But overall NH builds the coach better then the other two and I know from where I speak. But this is my opinion as is everything else said here. That said, they are not perfect and you can expect “issues” just like there will be “issues” with the other two. But the NH build is simply better remembering many things manufactures put in the trailer come from the same vendors.

Doing a close PDI – pre-delivery inspection – is the key to a good delivery at NH. Don’t rush or be rushed. Check everything and make sure it works. Make sure everything is completed to your satisfaction. While this is not “encouraged” by NH, the more often you check on things during construction, in person, the more likely things will be as you thought they would be.

IMO NH builds a “better” coach in most all regards that matter for a moving vehicle one lives in. But don’t expect perfection.

Yes, we'd purchase another one and of the three it is the only one we would consider.

My 2 cents.
DTVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:43 PM   #6

New Horizons Owners Club
No RV is perfect and no RV will never have any problems.

That said, we are quite pleased with our NH Majestic. We had a pre-Thor DRV Elite Suites for 5 years full-timing. Great unit, but the last two years were constantly going around the outside of the unit replacing #8 screws with #10, #10 screws with #12, etc. As one pulls down the road, the screws bored out the aluminum "studs" in the hung wall system. NH laminates everything! Another HUGE feature of NH, Majestics specifically, is they DO NOT use Lippert frames! They have their own frame shop and produce an excellent frame from a combination of I-beam, tubular steel, and steel angle iron. And Troy is one excellent welder!

Dave and DTVGuy are correct. I agree with all they wrote! We went to Junction City, in our Elite Suites, for two weeks and three days (October 2017) with Cole to order our Majestic. We picked up our Majestic in April, 2018. We spent 12 days at "Camp New Horizons" going over EVERYTHING. Yes, we did have to have several things fixed due to our PDI. Probably the worst was I found the hydraulic ram for the bed slide leaked. It was replaced within 30 minutes of me discovering it! We also had some "additions" during the PDI time. I know others who have picked up their unit and only spent overnight at Camp New Horizons. Those usually have many things to gripe about. Stay long enough time to try everything! In fact, HDRider and I recently learned that NH is hiring a quality control person who will do nothing but quality control! This will release Harold to do nothing but delivery inspections and instructions.

Just my two cents,
Ron
geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:36 PM   #7

In fact, HDRider and I recently learned that NH is hiring a quality control person who will do nothing but quality control! This will release Harold to do nothing but delivery inspections and instructions.

Just my two cents,
Ron[/QUOTE]

Interesting.... I wonder what kind of custom building background they want... Maybe someone with custom cabinetry, 12v systems, and RVing background, maybe someone that built custom offshore racing boats and yatchs for awhile... Wonder what it pays?
Old 09-14-2020, 08:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
In fact, HDRider and I recently learned that NH is hiring a quality control person who will do nothing but quality control! This will release Harold to do nothing but delivery inspections and instructions.

Just my two cents,
Ron
Interesting.... I wonder what kind of custom building background they want... Maybe someone with custom cabinetry, 12v systems, and RVing background, maybe someone that built custom offshore racing boats and yatchs for awhile... Wonder what it pays?[/QUOTE]

They have in fact already hired the quality control guy.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiem View Post
Please share the repeat issues for future reference.
We bought a 2017 DRV Mobile Suite Memphis floorplan. By Jan 2019 we had replaced 2 of the 4 slide floors, 1 slide roof, 3 sheets of the main roof plywood, most of the insulation in the belly, all due to water leaks / intrusion from a lack of sealant, buytl tape, or correct gaskets. We have also replaced 3 of the hydraulic lines for the slides, went thru 3 inverters (replaced under warranty). Found out that while we have switches for heated tanks, they neglected to put the pads on the tanks, had to re-brace the fresh water tank so it didn't fall out the bottom, and had to replace all the brake pads, 4 rotors and 2 caliphers due to improper installation causing the pads to stick and grind off... this was after towing it home the first 1200 miles. We had the front AC duct work replaced due to the factory installed was crushed. We also had to have 1 slide semi rebuilt because every time a breeze blew against it, it tipped in at the top. Our frame has also lost camber causing more issues.... In 3 years we have spent over 3 months in hotels...
Don't buy a DRV
Old 10-13-2020, 01:08 AM   #10

New Horizons Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
We bought a 2017 DRV Mobile Suite Memphis floorplan. By Jan 2019 we had replaced 2 of the 4 slide floors, 1 slide roof, 3 sheets of the main roof plywood, most of the insulation in the belly, all due to water leaks / intrusion from a lack of sealant, buytl tape, or correct gaskets. We have also replaced 3 of the hydraulic lines for the slides, went thru 3 inverters (replaced under warranty). Found out that while we have switches for heated tanks, they neglected to put the pads on the tanks, had to re-brace the fresh water tank so it didn't fall out the bottom, and had to replace all the brake pads, 4 rotors and 2 caliphers due to improper installation causing the pads to stick and grind off... this was after towing it home the first 1200 miles. We had the front AC duct work replaced due to the factory installed was crushed. We also had to have 1 slide semi rebuilt because every time a breeze blew against it, it tipped in at the top. Our frame has also lost camber causing more issues.... In 3 years we have spent over 3 months in hotels...
Don't buy a DRV
The issues and repairs speak for themselves! Tough experience! Thank you for sharing the not so positive experience,
goldiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:29 PM   #11

We have had a 18 DRV 38rssa and have had zero issues through our last 3years!!!!!!!
F350ms38rssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_from_Aho View Post
The lady and I are looking at 5th wheels for our retirement years. We have zero experience with RVs.

Thanks!
Rob
OK ; zero experience with RVs.

Before you lay out a huge amount on a high end 5er and tow vehicle , please consider renting a unit for a time to see if you enjoy the "RV lifestyle ".
To my way of thinking ; it's fantastic ; but it's not for everyone.

EDIT; I'll add that my " forever RV " is my fifth one . Some will say it's possible to get a perfect RV for you, the first time , but more will say their third was the keeper.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiem View Post
The issues and repairs speak for themselves! Tough experience! Thank you for sharing the not so positive experience,
We plan on moving into either a used New Horizons, or a used Contiental coach.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:52 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hearing lots of unhappy DRV owners since the take over by Thor.

In any case with the 5ers you are looking at, I'd recommend a minimum of a well equipped F550 or Ram 5500.

Ken

Tags
horizon, new owner