Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2019, 04:31 PM   #15

"tube which IS on the side of the tank, not the top, and near one end."
Why and who would put a vent tube on the side of a tank? Just think about what can happen if you fill above the vent tube then the tank starts to drain while not in motion. A vacuum is created which is not good.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2019, 05:36 PM   #16

I had the same sort of problem with the overflow on my Safari Trek, I solved it by drilling a pin hole (1/16th inch I think) in the overflow elbow fitting at the top of the fresh water tanks. Since then no major issue of loosing water driving down the road, as even a small pin hole will let enough air in to break the siphon effect.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmeris View Post
So if it's a known issue you would think nh would change the design and add the higher gravity loop at time of manufacturing?
After they fixed mine with the higher loop, I advised Ken and Cole that it had definitely solved the problem. They said they would modify the standard installation so I'm surprised to hear its still a problem. Maybe some layouts don't have a cabinet above the tank to loop the hose up through.
Burrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
"tube which IS on the side of the tank, not the top, and near one end."
Why and who would put a vent tube on the side of a tank? Just think about what can happen if you fill above the vent tube then the tank starts to drain while not in motion. A vacuum is created which is not good.
I think the tube is on the side of the tank because there is no space between the top of the tank and the floor. Making a space there would mean making the tank smaller, which none of us want. So the overflow is on the side, but near the top to minimize the loss of capacity. If it is filled above the overflow, it runs out until it is below the overflow outlet. After that, it sloshes out in motion. But when the tube is routed above the tank for a couple feet, gravity keeps the water in the tank.
Burrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:39 PM   #19

New Horizons Owners Club
I have actually seen my fresh water tank - up close and personal! When we were having some warranty repairs done last November, Mike had to pull the coroplast . . . and we spent the night inside the warranty/repairs building! (Bummer, no TV!) I got on one of their crawlers and took a tour underneath.

There cannot be any siphoning, period. Not the right conditions. The overflow is a half inch pipe that comes out of the driver's side forward upper corner of the fresh water tank. On my unit, there is about a foot of space above the fresh water tank. This overflow also acts as an air vent. Personally, I am thankful for the overflow. Once on our DRV, I forgot the fresh water fill and had water force-flowing out of the air vent in the waterworks area! On the NH, the overflow is large enough to protect against this lack of concentration. That said, I can see if one was on rough roads, mountain inclines, or just braking hard, water could continuously splash up to this corner and out the overflow tube. The overflow tube outlet is covered by mesh.

I do have a suggestion, though. When Mike and Jeff worked on our unit, they installed an access port in the coroplast in front of the fresh water tank. Cool the frustration (believe me, I have had to cool my own!), make a warranty appointment with Ken, and pass through Junction City. Get Mike and Jeff to install "an upward gooseneck" and also an access port in the coroplast! While there, also get them to make sure there is insulation around the fresh water tank, under the fresh water supply/fill line, and under the gray and black tanks. Also, there is a furnace "line" that runs next to the fresh water supply/fill line. Ask Mike to loosely cable tie this furnace "line" to the fresh water supply/fill line. That way if the Zone 2 furnace is running, the supply/fill line will be warmed. Oh, and if you do not have the "latest and greatest" Anderson Valve, they will warranty install a new Anderson Valve. The new Anderson is a 3 position valve, not 4 position.

Just my two cents,
Ron
geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water