Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2010, 09:01 AM   #1

Microwave issues

Well, friends, I am now on my most recent effort to replace the Dometic microwave oven (which has been replace three times previously). The current strategy is that I am replacing the Dometic with a GE microwave/convection oven. My theory is that if the microwave goes out on this one I will still have the oven capability and won't have to consign the microwave as a bread-box in disguise. If this doesn't work I will be glad to take my unit back to the factory and have them do a corrective on the wiring because every other solution has been tried.
mwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2010, 06:24 AM   #2

New Horizons Owners Club
My suggestion is that if this will be the fourth microwave, and your trailer is a 2008, I would contact the factory and see if they will authorize you take it to a reputable repair facility near you and have them see what the problem is. :shock:
There is no reason a microwave should go out so quick. It seems to me that there is an electrical problem in the trailer which could lead to more serious problems.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:33 PM   #3

Larry, I appreciate your comments. We will be leaving tomorrow (26th) for a two month outing and will be able to tell pretty soon whether the switch to a different brand will solve our problem. As you well know, electrical issues can be very tricky. I will be posting our results once I find out whether we have solved the problem by changing brands.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #4

New Horizons Owners Club
Mike and Sharon -- I will watch your experience with great interest. We have also just replaced our Dometic microwave with the micro/convection oven. Like you, we have had three (or four -- I lost count) previous Dometic microwaves, each of which has failed for a different reason. I would have suspected a wiring problem except that each failure was different. The good news part is that we've never had one go out of warranty, so all were replaced for free. Except, of course, for the last replacement, for which we had to pay the difference in cost between the plain microwave and the upgrade to the micro/convection. Unfortunately, unlike you, because of the warranty issue, we were pretty much limited to replacing with another Dometic unit. But if you have good luck with the GE (does it fit in the same space?) and this doesn't work for us, maybe that will be our next move.

Personally, I wish I'd done this from the beginning, but I really like the addition of the convection oven -- I'm hoping this one sticks around for a while!

Margaret Wright
Old 09-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #5

Hello
Our microwave was wired wrong , plug had reverse polarity. The micro and fan still worked. I rewired the plug.
LarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #6

Margaret - the size of the GE is exactly the same as the Dometic. So far (knock on wood) it has worked great. We have sort of weened ourselves off of using the microwave so we haven't used that very often. But when we have, it has worked fine. We LOVE the convection oven. We had grown weary of using the gas oven as we could never depend on the temperature that the oven had actually achieved. So far the GE gets two thumbs up.

As far as the plug being wired incorrectly - I would have thought that after the first replacement that the folk who installed the new microwave (Camping World) would have checked that issue.

After the many failures of the Dometic product, I am not certain that we have overcome the microwave odessey.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #7

New Horizons Owners Club
Thanks, Sharon & Mike -- I'll stay tuned for further developments. Glad you're enjoying your new unit; actually, so are we, but it's early days yet! We (OK, I) exploded a spaghetti squash in it, and so far no negative effects, but I'm still monitoring!!

Nice to know there are alternatives.

Margaret
Old 09-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #8

New Horizons Owners Club
Convection Microwave

I thought I would put our two cents worth in here.

In the last two years we have come to love our Dometic Convection Microwave. We are just really learning how very versatile it is. It will soften butter, defrost, bake, and circulate the air when we are using our catalytic heater and on and on.

We particularly like that we can cook a roast and veggies in about an hour.

So far it has worked flawlessly -- knock on wood.

Happy trails,
chaunclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #9

New Horizons Owners Club
We had a Dometic microwave in our 2006 unit and never had a problem with it. When we ordered the 2010 unit, I really wanted the microwave/convection unit. After much discussion with Phil B. at the factory, he finally convinced me to spend the money for the Whirlpool Velos that he was using in many of the units. It is wonderful - much better than the one I have at home. Also it has an exhaust fan that is really powerful and a light that actually provides light!! It would be on the top of my list to suggest to anyone getting a new unit. However the dimensions are probably different that those for a Dometic so would require cabinet work to retrofit to a previously built unit.

As for the propane oven, I found using an oven thermometer to determine temperature and keeping a pizza stone in the oven made for more even cooking, particularly baking and more predictable results. The convection oven is fine, but on a cold morning the oven helps heat up the unit and provides hot muffins - a nice combination with a hot cup of coffee.

The pizza stone also works very nicely when you are broiling and want to toast rolls or bread - just place directly on the stone while broiling and get hot toasted rolls or bread at the same time.

NW F33-RLSSS VIN #811
dooks@verizon.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:37 AM   #10

Karen, what good advice about how to use the convection/microwave oven. Concerning the size of the unit - in my minor research of this subject I found that all "over the stove top" units are the same size. So any of them should be able to fit into the same space. I was concerned about this when shopping for the combo oven. My GE profile has exactly the same dimensions as the Dometic Microwave.

On a related issue, I am glad that Phil B. is recommending something other than the Dometic combo. I have lost my trust in the Dometic product line. Half of the appliances/fixtures in my unit that were made by Dometic have now been changed out. That seems like a high number for a unit that is only three years old.

BTW - we should be getting close to you in about four or five days. We are currently in Maryland and look to be in Springfield, MA by Monday of this next week.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #11

I know that when I use my microwave and it is powered by my modified sine wave inverter it has a different sound than when on shore power.

Microwave is 1500 watts. Inverter is 2000 watts. I am sure to turn off all else before starting the microwave.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #12

My Dometic microwave has worked flawlessly since 7/06. Although it takes longer to heat stuff when on modified sine wave inverter it still works great. I am removing it and installing a 12 volt range hood with fan and light. I like to boondock and this will suit my purposes better. I will just use a standard microwave. My present unit is going into my son's new kitchen.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new horizons rv, nhog