RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:12 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcelRVGuy View Post
New Horizons tries hard to stay on the leading edge of innovation. We offer (or have offered) many new concepts to our customers that have had little, if any actual field testing... thus, you become our R & D department. Some of the ideas work great and others... well, not so much.

In January I spoke with the owner of the manufacturing company who, to my knowledge is the only one to offer the mini-split system. At that time they had installed approximately 7 units. Out of those 7 units, 2 of them had significant issues. In my opinion, 29% failure rate isn't something that gets me too excited to offer this product. Yes, we want to offer the latest and greatest ideas and innovations but not at the expense of frustrated, unhappy and disappointed customers.

As CEO here, I plan to wait until there's significantly more test data before offering mini-splits on an RV.

Bryan
Post #10

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #44

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Post #10
Yup. That's the post.

Just my two cents,
Ron

geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:50 PM   #45

Are there any spec comparisons showing the power consumption of the split mini vs roof top units?
ja_landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:55 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja_landry View Post
Are there any spec comparisons showing the power consumption of the split mini vs roof top units?
Just google mini Splits and the internet will cover you up with info.

Basically what I'd say after a few years of research and having a couple friends do DIY installs-

They work - the higher the Seer rating the better they work - from 16 to 27 seer. They, like the new refrigerators (Mini Splits did it first) have Inverter technology - allowing the system to only run at the speed needed to generate the temperature needed to keep the temperature right where you set it - Fans run and you cannot even hear them after the temperature is achieved.

Not the Noisy Blast you get with the old house units or the RV roof units - a blast of hot or cold then when needed another blast of air and Noise.

Today the inverter Technology has gotten into the upper end housing units and heating and cooling is achieved amazingly well, meaning at a lower cost and much quieter. (I had the inverter Technology installed in the last house I built and the only time you hear the system run is when it has more than a degree to make up - then it does it and you can hear it but once you are there not a sound the rest of the day.

You can even get them in 12 or 24 volt configurations for off the grid.

Generally - historically they went in retro-fits where duck work was not feasible, as they are a single source and usually get even distribution by quietly moving the air with the onboard fan system, most of these are in areas that were under served with the original system, more often than not Commercial applications. Overseas they have been the go to conversion for older places that now require A/C.

They are Highly efficient and if done correctly can save money, lots of Money. As far as a comparison with RV rooftop units it's really Apples and Oranges with rooftop being not even close in comparison.

They usually cost a bit more to install but can save you hundreds $$$ a year over many other lower seer systems.

Just google to get all the info you want.

Hope this is of some help,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:48 AM   #47

Found this and it seems like a good start. Answered some of my energy concers and Ill keep looking.
Mini Split A/C in an RV | Beginning from this Morning
ja_landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:30 PM   #48

A mini on a rv. Interesting. First some background. I am a Refrigeration tech and own a Fujitsu dealership here in Nova Scotia. We have installed them in park models but not on mobile units.

The newer units are rated to -26c (-14.8f).

Would they work on an rv? Good question.
The outside condenser unit is designed to be mounted upright so on the back of a TT, fifth etc would be ok. The inside unit is hung on a bracket and clipped in place. Would either stand the travelling earthquake? To say nothing of the rain, spray getting into the electronics. My gut feeling tells me that this would not be a happy marriage.

The other consideration is voltage. Most units are 220v although there are some 110v units of limited size.

There are other issues as well. The inside evaporator weighs about 25-30 lbs. Are your walls strong enough to support this weight, considering the earthquake feature?

Just my thoughts

Jeff
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:43 PM   #49

There are floor mount pedestal units as well.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:02 AM   #50

There is a member here cant remember who but he has mini splits on his Teton. He hung the condenser units on the back i believe. Keeps his rig super cool.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:35 AM   #51

I believe the mini split they used on the NH show model is a LG that has the cassette style evaporator / blower that mounts in the ceiling versus the wall hung unit. Looks like the condenser uses a portion of bay space with access from the outside.
cwall59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:14 AM   #52

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwall59 View Post
I believe the mini split they used on the NH show model is a LG that has the cassette style evaporator / blower that mounts in the ceiling versus the wall hung unit. Looks like the condenser uses a portion of bay space with access from the outside.
Cwall59 -

That is correct. Or at least what I observed while in Junction City.

Just my two cents,
Ron
geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:17 PM   #53

I had no so much about mini split information.If I missed that post then I lost some information that will be informative for me.I want to know some information about ac because sometimes ac temperature did not work properly. If anyone faced that problem and contact any ac repair service center then suggest to me.
jdvis0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:18 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
There is a member here cant remember who but he has mini splits on his Teton. He hung the condenser units on the back i believe. Keeps his rig super cool.
That's me. I have had zero problems with them. Work super good, quiet, sipps electricity.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2015 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote