Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #1

More Basic Equipment Feedback

I know that some of these things have been discussed repeatedly in IRV2's "General Discussion" forum, but not so much here, or at least not from what I can find using the search function.

For the Quadra Bigfoot leveling jacks, what kind of leveling blocks work out the best?

Does anyone use a kingpin lock? If so, what kind? I haven't read much about whole rig theft, but what a disaster that would be......

Is there an outdoor mat for under the awning that is decidedly better than others.....ie. doesn't retain water, easy to clean and store, etc

Thanks for any and all help.
shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2019, 12:40 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Shill --

For my Lippert brand leveling jacks I use "Hosspad Jack Pads" which have been especially useful on crushed concrete, sometimes muddy RV lots at an LSU football weekend --> https://www.amazon.com/Hosspad-Jack-...55164324&psc=1

I also see these pads used for the front jacks on fifth wheels at my RV storage facility which has gravel pads.

Regarding awning / patio mats, there are several different brands and sizes available. For LSU weekends I use two 9x12 size reversible mats similar to these except that they have a Fleur Di Lis design (of course!) --> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077LFYML5...7-bf738637f489

My mats are very easy to "broom clean" after a long day of tailgating and then easy to hose clean once I return home. I highly recommend purchasing a storage bag for each mat you purchase to simplify how you store / handle the mat when not in use.

Hope this info helps!
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:13 AM   #3

King Pin Lock... If you were in an RV that is towable by 99% of the pickup trucks made then it might be considered... Your New Horizons though would probably break or considerably compromise the suspension of all but the 3500 and up NEWER trucks. Plus where do you stay? In 5 years fulltime, we have stayed in 1 park that was sketchy... we left the next day.
Leveling blocks under the Bigfoot- I've used both the orange lego style and dense rubber pads I've made. When we set up on dirt-grass-gravel I usually use the rubber pads to help distribute the weight a little better. The rubber pads I bought a stall mat at Tractor Supply and cut my own.
Outdoor mat- We use the cheapee ones from Wally World. Replace every other year or so. When they look faded or bad, it's an easy 49.99. Water drains thru them and sand/dirt doesn't seem to stick. When leaving, I sweep it, Fold in 1/3, sweep the newly exposed side, fold sweep, etc. Works pretty well.
I realize that we only have a DRV that weighs in around 25k-lbs, but it would take a real truck to move it.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:40 PM   #4

Typically you don't need any levelling pads with big foot since it levels itself on all but very sloped surfaces. But for locations that require extra lift height, or where the ground is extra soft, I also carry 6 pieces of pressure treated 2x10 lumber about 16" long (IE an 8 foot 2x10 cut into 6 pieces).

I permanently mounted some 1/4" thick rubber matting directly to the bottom of the steel big-foot pads using 1/4" flathead screws with nuts on the top side. There are already holes in the steel pads for that purpose. The rubber provides a non-slip surface so the trailer doesn't slide on a slope, without requiring any additional work prior to dropping the feet. So on paved or hard packed surfaces, I just drop the feet without any blocks at all because the rubber pads are permanently there all the time.

In all cases, never disconnect without wheel chocks. Before I got in that habit, I had my trailer slide 15 feet down a slight slope of a WalMart parking lot when it slid off those giant plastic lego blocks that so many people use. They are too slippery for the metal feet. Luckily there was no damage, but that's why I added the permanent rubber foot pads and chock my wheels EVERY time.

I use a pin lock every time we disconnect. I have heard of entire trailer thefts and although I believe its very rare, the pin lock gives me a lot more comfort leaving it alone in public places like a truck stop, Wal-Mart, or storage location. I consider it to be cheap insurance. I don't think it matters much which one you buy.

For an outdoor mat, we just bought a length of indoor/outdoor carpet from one of the home improvement stores. It comes in 12' width and you just buy it as long as you want. Ours is 12' x 20', so it is very large, great for happy hours and makes our sites look very clean and tidy. I bought a do-it-yourself grommet kit and put 5 grommets down each long side, and 1 extra one in the center of each short side. 12 spikes hold it down. For traveling we fold it in half 3 times length-wise and then fold the ends toward the middle so it ends up as a lump about 2'W x 3'L x 16"H. It weighs 40 lbs. It takes 2 of us less than 5 minutes to put it away, and about 5 minutes to put it down, including spiking the corners if we're staying a while. If its too wide for the site, we just fold over 2 or 3 feet under the edge of the trailer. I expected this carpet would only last a short time until we got a proper RV one. But, we've been using the same one for 10 years now. It has barely faded, and still looks great. It cleans easily by just sweeping. It feels great on bare feet, and keeps weeds from growing through. The down-side is that it can not be used on grass, but I figure if there's nice grass, I don't want to cover it with carpet anyway...
Burrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
King Pin Lock... If you were in an RV that is towable by 99% of the pickup trucks made then it might be considered... Your New Horizons though would probably break or considerably compromise the suspension of all but the 3500 and up NEWER trucks. Plus where do you stay? In 5 years fulltime, we have stayed in 1 park that was sketchy... we left the next day.
I agree that you don't have to worry about most campgrounds. But we occasionally leave our NH in a truck stop, Wal-Mart, or side street while we run off sight-seeing or doing errands, truck repairs, etc. Someone could pick up our trailer in a truck stop in front a hundred people and nobody would question it.

I would have thought it takes a BIG truck to haul a NH too, but a couple years ago, Good Sam called a "professional" trailer hauler to get it off the highway when our truck broke down. The professional showed up with a very old Dodge 3/4 ton single tire truck. He picked up our 23,500 lb NH and with his bumper almost dragging on the ground, hauled it 10 miles into town (while I just about S$%# myself). So, I wouldn't count on every thief to know its too heavy for their truck...
Old 01-12-2019, 05:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
Shill --

For my Lippert brand leveling jacks I use "Hosspad Jack Pads" which have been especially useful on crushed concrete, sometimes muddy RV lots at an LSU football weekend --> https://www.amazon.com/Hosspad-Jack-...55164324&psc=1

I also see these pads used for the front jacks on fifth wheels at my RV storage facility which has gravel pads.

Regarding awning / patio mats, there are several different brands and sizes available. For LSU weekends I use two 9x12 size reversible mats similar to these except that they have a Fleur Di Lis design (of course!) --> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077LFYML5...7-bf738637f489

My mats are very easy to "broom clean" after a long day of tailgating and then easy to hose clean once I return home. I highly recommend purchasing a storage bag for each mat you purchase to simplify how you store / handle the mat when not in use.

Hope this info helps!

Nice looking mats....thanks for the info and link.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
Leveling blocks under the Bigfoot- I've used both the orange lego style and dense rubber pads I've made. When we set up on dirt-grass-gravel I usually use the rubber pads to help distribute the weight a little better. The rubber pads I bought a stall mat at Tractor Supply and cut my own.
Outdoor mat- We use the cheapee ones from Wally World. Replace every other year or so. When they look faded or bad, it's an easy 49.99. Water drains thru them and sand/dirt doesn't seem to stick. When leaving, I sweep it, Fold in 1/3, sweep the newly exposed side, fold sweep, etc. Works pretty well.
I realize that we only have a DRV that weighs in around 25k-lbs, but it would take a real truck to move it.

"Only 25k-lbs????.......You are probably right about it taking quite a truck to move it, but I think I will go with a kingpin lock depending on where we are if it only serves for peace of mind.
Thanks for the mat info. Sounds like a plan that would work for us as well.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrington View Post
Typically you don't need any levelling pads with big foot since it levels itself on all but very sloped surfaces. But for locations that require extra lift height, or where the ground is extra soft, I also carry 6 pieces of pressure treated 2x10 lumber about 16" long (IE an 8 foot 2x10 cut into 6 pieces).

I permanently mounted some 1/4" thick rubber matting directly to the bottom of the steel big-foot pads using 1/4" flathead screws with nuts on the top side. There are already holes in the steel pads for that purpose. The rubber provides a non-slip surface so the trailer doesn't slide on a slope, without requiring any additional work prior to dropping the feet. So on paved or hard packed surfaces, I just drop the feet without any blocks at all because the rubber pads are permanently there all the time.

In all cases, never disconnect without wheel chocks. Before I got in that habit, I had my trailer slide 15 feet down a slight slope of a WalMart parking lot when it slid off those giant plastic lego blocks that so many people use. They are too slippery for the metal feet. Luckily there was no damage, but that's why I added the permanent rubber foot pads and chock my wheels EVERY time.

I use a pin lock every time we disconnect. I have heard of entire trailer thefts and although I believe its very rare, the pin lock gives me a lot more comfort leaving it alone in public places like a truck stop, Wal-Mart, or storage location. I consider it to be cheap insurance. I don't think it matters much which one you buy.

For an outdoor mat, we just bought a length of indoor/outdoor carpet from one of the home improvement stores. It comes in 12' width and you just buy it as long as you want. Ours is 12' x 20', so it is very large, great for happy hours and makes our sites look very clean and tidy. I bought a do-it-yourself grommet kit and put 5 grommets down each long side, and 1 extra one in the center of each short side. 12 spikes hold it down. For traveling we fold it in half 3 times length-wise and then fold the ends toward the middle so it ends up as a lump about 2'W x 3'L x 16"H. It weighs 40 lbs. It takes 2 of us less than 5 minutes to put it away, and about 5 minutes to put it down, including spiking the corners if we're staying a while. If its too wide for the site, we just fold over 2 or 3 feet under the edge of the trailer. I expected this carpet would only last a short time until we got a proper RV one. But, we've been using the same one for 10 years now. It has barely faded, and still looks great. It cleans easily by just sweeping. It feels great on bare feet, and keeps weeds from growing through. The down-side is that it can not be used on grass, but I figure if there's nice grass, I don't want to cover it with carpet anyway...

Seeing your NH sliding 15 feet through a parking lot would be a "life changing" moment......lol. I'm getting two sets of the following: (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...3WGEEJKC&psc=1) and if I can just remember to use them, I should be good....
Thanks for the mat suggestion. I'll take a look at that option.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shill View Post
Seeing your NH sliding 15 feet through a parking lot would be a "life changing" moment......lol. I'm getting two sets of the following: (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...3WGEEJKC&psc=1) and if I can just remember to use them, I should be good....
Thanks for the mat suggestion. I'll take a look at that option.
You got that right!

Our routine is that wheel chocks are my wife's first duty when we land. She places them while I start dropping the legs. Before I unhook, I confirm with her that the chocks are done. Now we never forget them!
Old 01-13-2019, 06:34 AM   #10

Go to youtube for fifth wheel failures and you will NEVER forget chocks again. My big foot control is behind a locked door. I know it could be pried open but a thief is got to retract or raise the jacks just to hook up the RV.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:30 AM   #11

Low Cost Solution

We use 2"x10" lumber from Home Depot. They always have a scrap cart with purple paint. All the wood is 70% off. We drill a small hole and attach a cord to ease retrieval.
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:44 PM   #12

New Horizons Owners Club
We went to HD and got a 16' 2x12 treated lumber. HD cut the 16' into 1' lengths. A small box of patio nails, some Gorilla wood glue, and some cheap door handles and we now have 4 8" high blocks that are below the pads every time we camp. I do have some extra 12" square 2" high blocks to help lift the standard blocks. Cheap and effective.

Just my two cents,
Ron
geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo-gypsy View Post
We went to HD and got a 16' 2x12 treated lumber. HD cut the 16' into 1' lengths. A small box of patio nails, some Gorilla wood glue, and some cheap door handles and we now have 4 8" high blocks that are below the pads every time we camp. I do have some extra 12" square 2" high blocks to help lift the standard blocks. Cheap and effective.

Just my two cents,
Ron
Can I ask you what is the purpose of using 8" high blocks? I've never needed more than two 2x10's stacked (3"). I would be afraid of accidently pushing the trailer off the high blocks while hooking up and having it drop 8" onto my truck bed.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:42 PM   #14

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrington View Post
Can I ask you what is the purpose of using 8" high blocks? I've never needed more than two 2x10's stacked (3"). I would be afraid of accidently pushing the trailer off the high blocks while hooking up and having it drop 8" onto my truck bed.
Burrington -

I probably hook up the same way with my blocks as you do with your blocks. There's no "dropping" involved. I use the 8" blocks to limit the extension of the hydraulics. Though the Bigfoot is magnitudes better than the Lippert (originally developed by DRV) leveling hydraulics, the less throw on the hydraulics, the more stability. I will say, we sustained 60 mph winds in our Elite Suites in Amarillo with 6" blocks on the 6 point Lippert hydraulics on our ES. The maximum winds we have had in our NH is 55 mph winds on our 8" blocks at our daughter's house in Oklahoma. No shaking and no movement. The slides did tip in due to wind resistance. The blocks are used to actually limit the extension of the hydraulics.

Just my two cents,
Ron
geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote