Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2021, 08:08 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOY View Post
Insulating that 6" on both sides make a huge difference I know because our trailer was done in a similar manner.

After blowing mineral wool insulation along both sides it stopped condensation from forming on both sides of the ceiling inside.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2021, 08:10 AM   #30

Quote:
Only way to tell is to do a test by jacking up the pin box.

Measure the distance from the edge of the pin box next to the pin before lifting and again as soon as the landing gear is off the ground.

The difference between the 2 numbers should not be more than 1/2".
Ive seen this test done, I know what your talking about, thanks for reminding me. Great idea
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:57 PM   #31

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Did you see this?

The radiant barrier and the insulation don't run to the outside edges of the roof. On top of that they are spiltting the R7 insulation in half.

No, you are mistaken. Splitting R14 insulation in half makes R7 insulation. There is no reason to run the insulation over the space where the walls are insulating. YMMV
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:08 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
No, you are mistaken. Splitting R14 insulation in half makes R7 insulation. There is no reason to run the insulation over the space where the walls are insulating. YMMV
👍...
Old 02-23-2021, 09:43 PM   #33

New Horizons Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo-gypsy View Post
Billett Bee -

No, not trying to run you off. Just trying to understand what you want. However, I think I have.

Your answer is in your signature line. You have ordered a 48' Luxe toyhauler. You have ordered, or are ordering, it so changing to a NH is out of the question. You are looking for information to assure you have made the right decision. Boy! I've been there and done the same thing! I cannot assure you that you have made the right decision, only you can. But, as you have "ordered" the Luxe 48FB, there are other considerations.

You have a Dodge 3500 nicely equipped. However, a NH toyhauler spec'ed out the same as the Luxe 48FB would be REAL heavy (that doesn't include any customization you might want with NH). Just look at Big Red! (Chris, where are you?) You would definitely need a HDT. However, I leave that discussion to you and Jack Mayer. As is, you have ordered a 26,000 pound delivered fifth wheel toyhauler. Once you add, what - one or two motorcycles? A 4-seater Polaris RZR? A Smart Car? Plus your full-time living "things" - clothing, groceries, kitchen stuff, etc. - you will be well in excess of 30,000 pounds. Though it appears you have a nicely equipped Dodge 3500, your Luxe will have exceeded it's capacity. The smaller brakes on the 3500 are a real problem. Leave plenty of stopping room! Your questions are not if ordering a Luxe was a right thing to do compared to a NH. The real question is what to upgrade your wheels to! A well equipped Dodge 5500? A HDT?

Just my two cents,
Ron

Well said Ron!
goldiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:50 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post

What make you think they are splitting R14 and not R7.

Running the insulation to the outside makes a big difference. I blew insulation into the roof along both sides on our trailer. At 20F the heater no longer runs for an hour at a time. At 10F we don't get 3-4" wide strips of ice along the ceiling on both side of living room
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:48 AM   #35

Quote:
What make you think they are splitting R14 and not R7.

Running the insulation to the outside makes a big difference. I blew insulation into the roof along both sides on our trailer. At 20F the heater no longer runs for an hour at a time. At 10F we don't get 3-4" wide strips of ice along the ceiling on both side of living room
So heers my question and thoughts on this because I also don't believe putting the insulation over the roof wall stud will make any differance or minimal but not a big differance.
MY question for the believer of the insulation on the roof to cover the exterior wall studs is, how would that be any differnt than every other single stud in the whole rv that touches the exterior wall's where you can always see on cold mornings. Is the anology that insulation is covering all stud surfaces not just the area between the studs. To me , the wall stud surface is way more wide spread than the 2 lengths of 40' wall's without bubble.
Not trying to be controversial just looking for an explanation behind the thought process of heat loss THROUGH a 2x4 stud
Old 04-17-2021, 12:38 PM   #36

I watched a few of Luxe's videos today. They look to be very well built, but I am less than impressed with their insulation practices. They have good intentions, but the installers leave big gaps between batts, overlap batts, squish batts, and leave uninsulated areas that defeat the whole purpose.

Properly installed fiberglass insulation has to be fully fluffed up, batts fitting tightly and evenly side-by-side, and no spaces where air can move from the warm side to the cold side without going through the insulation. They also have to be fastened in some manner so they don't move out of place over time with the motion of an RV.

The roof is questionable in my opinion.
1) It looks like a 3.5" batt (pink is R15) that they split roughly in half to make R7.5.

2) Astrofoil works very well by reflecting radiant heat back. That means the surface of the foil does not get heated, leaving very little heat to be convected out through the insulation. It needs an air space in front and behind to work effectively. Their loose installation would leave an air space in front, and the fibreglass would provide an air space behind it. I don't know enough about astrofoil to turn that into an equivalent R value, but its probably quite good.

3) I question why they leave that big gap along the edges, which appears to be maybe 5 or 6 inches wide. The outer walls are 3 inches thick, so that leaves 2 or 3 inches of roof with neither astrofoil nor fibreglass insulation. In my mind they should have the astrofoil running right to the inside edge of the wall, and the fiberglass running to the outer edge of the wall. Maybe they are trying to leave a space for air flow?

4) I'm not sure what they are using for vapor barrier in the roof. If there is a plasticized finish on the inside ceiling, that would provide some vapor barrier, but otherwise I can't see anything in the roof construction to stop moisture from escaping into the insulation and freezing.
Burrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:46 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
So heers my question and thoughts on this because I also don't believe putting the insulation over the roof wall stud will make any differance or minimal but not a big differance.
MY question for the believer of the insulation on the roof to cover the exterior wall studs is, how would that be any differnt than every other single stud in the whole rv that touches the exterior wall's where you can always see on cold mornings. Is the anology that insulation is covering all stud surfaces not just the area between the studs. To me , the wall stud surface is way more wide spread than the 2 lengths of 40' wall's without bubble.
Not trying to be controversial just looking for an explanation behind the thought process of heat loss THROUGH a 2x4 stud
The air space along each side allows warm air to pass around the insulation so the whole ceiling looses heat.

When it's cold outside both sides will be soaking wet from condensation. The same will happen in summer when it is warm outside and cool inside.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:07 PM   #38

Quote:
The air space along each side allows warm air to pass around the insulation so the whole ceiling looses heat.

When it's cold outside both sides will be soaking wet from condensation. The same will happen in summer when it is warm outside and cool inside.
So, are you then saying that the uninsulated strips on the roof were the walls tops are, is meant to be left with out insulation so it will allow excessive built up wall heat to escape through the roof and out the vents and if they insulated the entire roof from edge to edge, it would trap the heat in the walls? Or am I all jacked up.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:58 AM   #39

Evergreen Owners Club
All I know is my furnaces run far less than other 5ths when cold and my a/c runs far far less than other 5ths when it is hot. YMMV but like it or not this trailer is well built, well insulated and we love it!
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:05 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
So, are you then saying that the uninsulated strips on the roof were the walls tops are, is meant to be left with out insulation so it will allow excessive built up wall heat to escape through the roof and out the vents and if they insulated the entire roof from edge to edge, it would trap the heat in the walls? Or am I all jacked up.
No, I think he's agreeing with me that the strip should be insulated, at least to the inside edge of the wall. There is an air gap between the ceiling and the astrofoil where they run ducting, wires, roof framing, etc. That air gap is connected to the uninsulated strips, allowing all the heat to escape out those areas. All the insulation they put in the ceiling is kind of wasted the way they do it. See my attempt at a cut-away illustration attached.

To be fair, this is all based on what we can see from the Luxe roof construction video. The camera angles could be misleading or something, but its worth checking into before you buy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6864.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	325430  
Burrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:43 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrington View Post
No, I think he's agreeing with me that the strip should be insulated, at least to the inside edge of the wall. There is an air gap between the ceiling and the astrofoil where they run ducting, wires, roof framing, etc. That air gap is connected to the uninsulated strips, allowing all the heat to escape out those areas. All the insulation they put in the ceiling is kind of wasted the way they do it. See my attempt at a cut-away illustration attached.

To be fair, this is all based on what we can see from the Luxe roof construction video. The camera angles could be misleading or something, but its worth checking into before you buy.
Your drawing is way better than my chicken scratching would of been. I'm with SCHROD on this one just because from what I've seen online and what I know about the fivers we have owned is that luxe is far superior than any other cookie cutter build, not even a question for me. Now in saying that, you post a good point. I can see how the discussion could be steered in both directions to prove effectiveness. I'm definitly going to ask on my tour, not because im concerned about the heat or cool loss, just because I want to hear it from them what there anology is and was that a poor video. Good conversation piece though. I think with 2- 35,000 btu furnaces and 3- 15,000 a/c units, that If that is an imperfection, it probably goes very easily unnoticed.
I have a very healthy respect for the luxe build quality. Yes nothing is prefect even when you spend 2 million there it's still things you would change, but it's ok for everything to be open for criticism just with in perspective.
We drove into the closed rvf lot this morning to find the place for our Tuesday appt and check out the rigs. man there beautiful, no doubt about that. There were several parked up against the building were folks were spending the weakened shaking them down. Nice to see people actuelly doing what is in the best interest for all parties.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:58 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrington View Post
All the insulation they put in the ceiling is kind of wasted the way they do it.

Tags
luxe