Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #1

Option you like/dislike/wish you had

We are debating the purchase of a 42' Majesty and have been going over the options available. What do you think are "have to haves?" Anything you've got and don't like, or wish you'd purchased.
We're currently in a 2006 Monaco Dynasty and just can't decide if we want to go the fifth wheel route, but if we do it will definitely be New Horizons. Anybody gone from a coach to a 5th wheel? Any regrets? We spend about 5 to 6 months a year in Port Aransas TX, and need sewing room and computer space, so we feel a fifth wheel may give us the additional space we're after, but really love our coach now!
kansas rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #2

I'm stikin to class A...but I really like PA....
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #3

Heartland RV Club
My DW wishes I had a fan in the bathroom.
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #4

With an over seven year old 24 foot fiver, I'm not sure I qualify to give advice here considering the unit size under consideration, but... That silly little exhaust fan that is provided as part of the range hood is useless. (Not even sure that is part of the package these days.) Wish I had a Fantastic fan in the ceiling over the range to manage those issues when the butter manages to scorch just a bit. Sure does test the smoke alarm. <grin> If my future travels take me near Junction City, the plan is to make that modification to Wandrin Wagon. Until then, open windows and an open door policy manages to handle the problem. However, it is really a bad idea in cold weather.
Wandrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My personal opinion of my Sani Con system is that it is an overpriced piece of Sh!!. It might have it's use if I needed to dump up hill or at a long distance but I don't. It's slow; The 3 inch hose is soft and leaks horrible smells into the motorhome, the bypass for the gray water plugs etc, etc.
bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:35 AM   #6

New Horizons Owners Club
I don't know if electric leveling jacks are standard on the Majestic, but if not, then they are a must have. We just added them to our NH and they make things much better.

The other difference our rig has is a heat pump rather than a regular A/C. This has worked out well.

Get a Thetford commode. The ball seal is far superior than the Dometic. We changed our Dometic commode for a Thetford and are much happier.

We haven't used our marcerator pump yet. We would not get one next time.

Have them install 120 and 12 volt outlets everywhere. One can't have to many of them.

Note to wandrin: We have a home made air filter on our Fantastic Fan and although the fan is in the center of the trailer away from the kitchen we turn it on blowing air into the trailer without opening any windows. This moderates the smoke alarm irascibility.
chaunclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I wish we had a front opening door rather than a mid-entry door. I believe we lose space with the mid-entry. Joe
Old 06-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #8

New Horizons Owners Club
Chaunclm
Are you talking about electric rear stabelizers? I think they are a must on a longer trailer.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #9

New Horizons Owners Club
We don't have a Majestic - just a revved up Classic, but the hydraulic jacks are a must. We do have a Maxair (just like a Fantastic) fan over the kitchen area. It really works well when something is getting a little too brown. Also Phil convinced me to get the Whirlpool Velos Microwave Convection oven with the built in fan. An it cooks fantastically!! Not only does the fan really work well, but the light actually gives off enough light to see what you are cooking, unlike the usual low powered noisy fan and dim light of the usual rv over the stove fan and light. We do have a macerator pump and do use it - mainly to dump at home into an inside toilet. Another thing to be aware of if the level of the shelves in the kitchen cabinets - be sure they are at a levels that are useful and that you can reach. In our original unit there was only one shelf in the middle of the cabinet. We added one extra one, between the bottom of the cabinet and the built in shelf. In ordering out second NH we made note of the extra shelf, but did not specify the height. We got a second shelf in the cabinet, but not exactly at the height I would have preferred. One extra we put in was a 110 V light over the table and had it put on a dimmer switch on the chaser in the corner of the slide out behind the table. This gives the extra light you might need when working on something detailed on the table. Our fixture actually has three lights on it that can be individually positioned - a $30 fixture from Lowe's.

NW F33-RLSSS VIN #811
dooks@verizon.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunclm View Post
Note to wandrin: We have a home made air filter on our Fantastic Fan and although the fan is in the center of the trailer away from the kitchen we turn it on blowing air into the trailer without opening any windows. This moderates the smoke alarm irascibility.
According to Fantastic Fan it is more efficient to push air out of a space them to pull it in. Turn the fan switch to push out rather than pull in.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #11

I would not buy another large awning they are more trouble than they are worth. I got rid of mine.

I bought the laminated wood flooring option. Not again.

I would have a second 70 gallon fresh water tank installed.

Do get the Big Foot automatic leveling system. I added it later.

Do not get the Sureflow smart sensor pump. They are problematic. I didn't get it.

Get 17.5" rims and tires "J" rated. I found that 5'ers need tires to carry 125% of the weight of the trailer. If not then blowouts are common.

Do get the air cusioned pin box.

A skylight over the shower and kitchen area is great.

Make sure that there is enough clear roof space if you are thinking of a solar electric system.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #12

New Horizons Owners Club
Since you are in Kansas, why not make an appt. to come and see the plant and what they are doing and take a look at some of their models. Also, perhaps you can come to the rally in Bushnell, FL in October and get to talk to NH owners and see their various set-ups. EG, we have a rear kitchen and love it while others won't consider it.

We appreciate the 5er for many different reasons and one special one - if our truck needs repairs, we still have our home.

We are happy with the way our 5er is set up and aren't wishing for anything else. We have seen many different marvelous ideas for space savers, built-ins, etc. It just depends on your lifestyle. Be creative.
dale60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #13
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
My personal opinion of my Sani Con system is that it is an overpriced piece of Sh!!. It might have it's use if I needed to dump up hill or at a long distance but I don't. It's slow; The 3 inch hose is soft and leaks horrible smells into the motorhome, the bypass for the gray water plugs etc, etc.
I had one on my last mh and loved it. The unit on this rv too was slow. I finally took it apart and found some plastic slowing the inflow. The 3 ich hose is a known issue and lots of folks replace that part.
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:29 AM   #14

Check out Jack and Danielle Mayer Jack has a Majestic and goes through his options and changes he would make.
Bev Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote