Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2009, 01:47 PM   #1

Photos of NH Solar Panel Installation F34RLTSS and similar

Hi. I own a new-to-me 2005 F34RLTSS that's in storage pending my retirement and the purchase of a truck. The rig has a NH-installed solar system with one AM-100 panel. The AM-100 is on a rack that spans the width of the trailer, and the rack would allow mounting one more panel at the expense of blocking my bathroom skylight. I'm certain I'll want to add more AM-100 panels, and I'm researching how to best mount those panels. I'd appreciate receiving photos of multi-panel rooftop setups that were installed as original equipment by NH on the F34RLTSS and similar roofed trailers. If you had a better idea than NH, I'd appreciate photos or advice about your setup, too. Please send photos to
[samunro@shaw.ca]. Thanks, Al.
almunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #2

Hi,
We have a 31 foot NH with 3 100-watt solar panels. Two were original, and we added the third.
Sorry I do not have photos.
All three panels are mounted along the main axes of the trailer, all side by side and all the way up front.
There is a bracket that runs across the front of the trailer, just back of the front edge. The second bracket is four feet back holding the rear of the panels. We do not have a bedroom vent or fan, so there was nothing in this area to interfere with the three panels.
If we slid the panels to the far edge of the trailer, and had no space between them, we might get a fourth panel on the same brackets.

Hope this helps, Don
D&K-526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #3

Not sure where you are in the country, but for all things solar, check out http://www.amsolar.com/. AM Solar is located in Oregon.

At 34 feet, there should be plenty of real estate for the mounting more solar panels. Perhaps another approach might be for you to take photos or a sketch with dimensions of available space. Forward that to AM Solar and perhaps they might be able to give you suggestions how to address the issue.

I know there are several New Horizons owners who have been to AM Solar for one thing or another. I don't know if AM Solar would readily give advice if there is nothing in the deal for them.

AM Solar is on my destination list for the summer of 2010 (when I am traveling the northwest) for the possible addition of another panel to add to the four 75 watt panels. With only a 24 foot unit, I really have a real estate problem to add another panel. After five years of sun beating down on the exposed wiring to the solar panels, there is some cracking of insulation. That is the other reason for checking with AM Solar to forestall any problems at some future time. Perhaps a rewiring may be in order.
Wandrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #4

At risk to life and limb, this old guy climbed atop his N.H. to take a picture of the installation layout of 5 AMSolar 110 watt panels. Forwarding picture to you in private email.
Yonderin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies, and the photo received from daredevil Yonderin'. I continue to consider my options while wishing the price of panels would fall. I bought this used trailer in Eugene, OR, so I certainly know the neighborhood where AM Solar do business. Al.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #6

almunro,

I can't bring down the price of solar panels, but shopping around would be the best advice. 100-watt panels are not the cutting edge panel size, so you might find them at a discount somewhere. We received our third panel from New Horizons because they were installing 110 watt in all their new rigs a few years ago. I have seen them in Quartsite in the winter, as well as in Oregon, as Lloyd suggested.
We obtained our wiring and connectors from AM Solar and were very pleased.
You also need to consider your solar panel controller and wiring. A controller and wiring for one panel, may not handle three or more panels properly as you add on to your array.

Good Luck, Don
D&K-526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&K-526
You also need to consider your solar panel controller and wiring. A controller and wiring for one panel, may not handle three or more panels properly as you add on to your array.

Good Luck, Don
The controller provided by NH when the unit was delivered is the Heliotrope HPV-22B with MPPT. It's rated for 400W of input, so I should be able to safely add 3x 100W (and perhaps 3x 110W). I'm sure that NH would have used wiring sufficient to handle add-on panels, but I'll confirm that point before I pull the trigger. Thanks.

Tags
new horizons rv, nhog