Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2019, 04:22 PM   #1

Skirting coming loose

Well while hooking up this morning the hinge on the door for our electrical cord broke. I knew it felt weak from day one. Guess I will do something make shift.
Then pulled in at our destination for the day and I found 2 spots that the bottom skirting is pulling away, enough that the molding piece is pulled loose as well.
A couple guys on the Facebook page have given me suggestions and talked about clips but I'm waiting for the sun to go down to crawl under and have a peak. I sent Ken a email also. This one bugs me.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #2

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
Well while hooking up this morning the hinge on the door for our electrical cord broke. I knew it felt weak from day one. Guess I will do something make shift.
Then pulled in at our destination for the day and I found 2 spots that the bottom skirting is pulling away, enough that the molding piece is pulled loose as well.
A couple guys on the Facebook page have given me suggestions and talked about clips but I'm waiting for the sun to go down to crawl under and have a peak. I sent Ken a email also. This one bugs me.
Dave -

I too have noticed the door on the shoreline cable is not "substantial", so I have been pretty careful with it. However, I will say that it is the same door and hinge that was on our DRV. However, the one on the DRV was facing downward - and was a real pain!

I would suggest emailing Ken today along with a couple of pictures. Ken gets to his office around 6am (after a Stacy's breakfast) and starts his day viewing his emails. You can ask him to email you or ask a convenient time to call him (allowing time zones). You heard Ken at the Ambassadors' Days meeting.

But above all, enjoy your journey!

Just me two cents,
Ron
geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:25 AM   #3

I ended up cutting a section of a zip tie and stuck it in the hole of the frame and the hole of the power cord door to make a "get by" hinge.
As far as the skirting I went to Home Depot and picked up a couple tubes of caulk/adhesive to stick the skirting to the frame and wedged a couple extension poles against our truck and coach to keep pressure on it overnight.
There was about 3 ft where I whatever NH used either just wasn't there or failed. I have 2 other sections to fix that are about 1ft long each but I need to figure something else out to brace it while it cures because the truck won't work in those spots. We are bound to park by a tree or power pole soon LOL!!
Old 07-15-2019, 06:29 AM   #4

Hey Ron, I get hat the power cord door is a pretty standard one that is used by other RV manufactures but that does not give NH a pass in my book. We bellied up and went NH for quality above and beyond other manufactures like DRV that you mentioned. I say "NH, go find a door with metal hinges, plastic nipples belong on imported toys not high end RV's" LOL!!
Old 08-02-2019, 11:42 AM   #5

I am about ready to grab a handful of 16 penny nails and secure this skirting for good and let New Horizon figure it out the next time we roll through. Have not seen this crap even on a Jayco.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190802_101722.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	255564
Old 08-02-2019, 04:22 PM   #6

New Horizons Owners Club
Dave -

Wow! That is not good! But it does look like what happened to my former DRV. Except with the DRV, about 8 screws sheared or pulled out. Have you called Ken?

Just my two cents,
Ron
geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo-gypsy View Post
Dave -

Wow! That is not good! But it does look like what happened to my former DRV. Except with the DRV, about 8 screws sheared or pulled out. Have you called Ken?

Just my two cents,
Ron
I have called Ken and he is aware. As far as the DRV comment, we paid many 10's of thousands more for this rig so NOT to have stupid stuff like this happen wouldn't you agree? And this is a workmanship flaw pure and simple.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:55 AM   #8

Sorry for your situation. The disappointments just never end. My personal day of relief was the end of warranty. I no longer have a exasperating relationship with New Horizons.....I have no relationship...total solace. As a fellow owner once told me "What do you expect for a couple hundred grand."
Dagwood31119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:00 AM   #9

I have very little doubt that NH will take care of it but this is not something a mobile tech is going to do very easily in the field and if I don't keep fighting it I'm afraid what will fly off going down the road.or what might happen once water starts getting into those areas.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:14 PM   #10

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood31119 View Post
Sorry for your situation. The disappointments just never end. My personal day of relief was the end of warranty. I no longer have a exasperating relationship with New Horizons.....I have no relationship...total solace. As a fellow owner once told me "What do you expect for a couple hundred grand."

As we are already committed to our NH (we just made the first installment payment), this statement makes us a bit uneasy.

If you don't mind sharing, what exactly has your experience been that warrants such a feeling of relief that you no longer have to work with NH?

Is there anything that you would have done differently (during the build stage) now that you've had your NH for a while?

As we've heard there are some quality control issues for the recent builds, we are already planning on having the NH inspected by an independent RV inspector before taking possession of the rig.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Allison & Rich
Griffon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:53 PM   #11

Even though I'm not saying that a independent inspector is a bad thing unfortunately many of the things that will happen are going to happen after some miles have been put on and some very day use occurs like the skirting issue we are having and new new what sounds like a water leak we have when running the water pump and the newest issue of odd tire wear on the m8ddle wheels, things I have not brought upnherebyet, but will.
I will be glad when we get beyond the new rig gremlin, something we had gotten past with our last class A.
I'm sure the water thing will be a easy fix but I'm a little afraid of the tire thing with all the issues that have been talked about lately.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:57 AM   #12

New Horizons Owners Club
I agree there will be some issues that arise during the shake down period or the new rig gremlins acting up :•), but the window not being sealed properly from the outset was concerning.

Hope your water issue is easily resolved!!
Griffon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffon View Post
I agree there will be some issues that arise during the shake down period or the new rig gremlins acting up :•), but the window not being sealed properly from the outset was concerning.

Hope your water issue is easily resolved!!
Yup, that window was a bummer. I'm more worried about the uneven tire wear at this point. I sent Ken a email with pictures of the tires but have not heard back from him yet.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
Yup, that window was a bummer. I'm more worried about the uneven tire wear at this point. I sent Ken a email with pictures of the tires but have not heard back from him yet.
I think that you have Morryde IS system on the NH.I think the problem with the tire is a misalignment on that tire.It can be a easy fix.The only problem will be to find a shop to do it.Not to many shops know about this system.
buc1908 is offline   Reply With Quote