Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2019, 01:05 PM   #1

New Horizons Owners Club
Suspension

Just purchased new-to-me 2011 New Horizons Majestic! I am doing lots of research on suspension and tires. What upgrades do you recommend for suspension? My Majestic's GVWR is 22,500#. I found a couple of folks say Monroe Gas-Magnum RV shocks are good, but I can't seem to find their weight rating. One last question: anyone know and trust a garage to do work on New Horizons in Washington state, preferably on the east side (Tri-Cities, Spokane)?

Thank you!
stacysu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2019, 06:53 PM   #2

What kind you got now on that FW? And for the tire, Sailun are excellent tire.
buc1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #3

Hi
Your Morryde IS suspension is the best suspension on the market. No upgrades required.
Some owners have changed the tires to 17" in order to use the Goodyear G114 tires. Beyond that I'm not sure I'd replace the shocks unless there was evidence of fluid leakage or you knew the trailer had high millage. In order to start with a clean state I would also inspect the rubber springs and have the wheels aligned. Enjoy.
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:49 AM   #4

New Horizons Owners Club
Stacysu -

You did not mention how many axles you had. Mjdenn is correct, MorRyde IS is the absolutely the best suspension for RVs! I had MorRyde IS on our former DRV Elite Suites (20,500#, two axle) and have it on our present NH Majestic (23000# at this point loaded, three axle). Yes, as he suggested, have the compound rubber "springs" checked on the MorRyde and follow the advice on the shocks. Look for any leaks!

As far as tires, I will admit I am biased. With the heavier load, I would prefer to have some "safety" involved. On our Elite Suites, DRV recommended Load Rated J tires, but installed Load Rated H Goodyear G114 at the factory. Their excuse was that the Load Rated H tires (16 ply) had a maximum speed of 70 and that is what the customers wanted. Load rated J tires (18 ply) usually have a maximum speed in the 60 - 65 mph range. The sidewall rating is important. Load rated H tires cannot hold a candle to the sidewall weight rating of Load rated J. Unfortunately, load rated H tires sidewall rating usually falls near the maximum tire weight rating. So, after about 15,000 miles on the Goodyear, the tread started separating from the sidewall. Etc., etc., etc., but here it is in the picture.

After that blowout, I put Michelin XTA2 Load Rated J tires on the Elite Suites. When I ordered our Majestic, I specifically requested an upgrade to the MorRyde 8K IS and Michelin XTA2 Load Rated J tires. I ordered balancing beads from Innovative Balancing to be installed inside the tires. I hope not to repeat the Elite Suites blowout.

Note, I did not pull the Elite Suites faster than 60mph. I do not pull the Majestic faster than 60mph. This opinion of "How fast to you pull and why" could result in a separate, heated discussion. To gain 10 miles in one hour, 40 miles in 4 hours of driving, is not worth the risk.

Just my two cents,
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160706_140355.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	242278  
geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #5

Shocks

If you decide to pursue the shocks I'd suggest calling Morryde directly. They are a great company and will provide the needed information. Shocks don't have a weight rating rather they are built to have certain compression and rebound characteristics.
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:17 PM   #6

New Horizons Owners Club
Ron, thank you for your 2 cents! Very valuable. My majestic is 2 axles, both 9,000 lbs. I will plan on getting the compound rubber springs checked and the shocks replaced (two of them are bent at the end... both on curb side).

Any suggestions on finding a garage? Do I just call around my area and ask if they can lift a 23,000 lb 5th wheel? Or ask them if they are knowledgable on Morryde? Or New Horizons? I have a great trailer place I go to for all my hitch work and they have the capability to work on trailers up to 25,000 lbs. I guess I'll start with them and just ask. But I sure would like your opinion!

Thanks, again!
~stacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo-gypsy View Post
Stacysu -

You did not mention how many axles you had. Mjdenn is correct, MorRyde IS is the absolutely the best suspension for RVs! I had MorRyde IS on our former DRV Elite Suites (20,500#, two axle) and have it on our present NH Majestic (23000# at this point loaded, three axle). Yes, as he suggested, have the compound rubber "springs" checked on the MorRyde and follow the advice on the shocks. Look for any leaks!

As far as tires, I will admit I am biased. With the heavier load, I would prefer to have some "safety" involved. On our Elite Suites, DRV recommended Load Rated J tires, but installed Load Rated H Goodyear G114 at the factory. Their excuse was that the Load Rated H tires (16 ply) had a maximum speed of 70 and that is what the customers wanted. Load rated J tires (18 ply) usually have a maximum speed in the 60 - 65 mph range. The sidewall rating is important. Load rated H tires cannot hold a candle to the sidewall weight rating of Load rated J. Unfortunately, load rated H tires sidewall rating usually falls near the maximum tire weight rating. So, after about 15,000 miles on the Goodyear, the tread started separating from the sidewall. Etc., etc., etc., but here it is in the picture.

After that blowout, I put Michelin XTA2 Load Rated J tires on the Elite Suites. When I ordered our Majestic, I specifically requested an upgrade to the MorRyde 8K IS and Michelin XTA2 Load Rated J tires. I ordered balancing beads from Innovative Balancing to be installed inside the tires. I hope not to repeat the Elite Suites blowout.

Note, I did not pull the Elite Suites faster than 60mph. I do not pull the Majestic faster than 60mph. This opinion of "How fast to you pull and why" could result in a separate, heated discussion. To gain 10 miles in one hour, 40 miles in 4 hours of driving, is not worth the risk.

Just my two cents,
Ron
Old 04-16-2019, 09:19 PM   #7

New Horizons Owners Club
Thank you for your valuable insight and knowledge! I love this group!!
Old 04-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #8

Any suggestions on finding a garage? Do I just call around my area and ask if they can lift a 23,000 lb 5th wheel?
~stacy[/QUOTE]

If you have Big Foot levelers just raise the trailer off the ground. The hydraulics and frame are more then capable. I've changed all six tires at the same time. No big deal. Done this many times. Big difference between a NH frame with Big Foots and other brands that require more jacks. Not a put down, simply a fact. Even MORryde uses the Big Foots on the NH's to lift them off the ground and then, naturally, put safety jacks under the trailer before working under it. While a good idea, that's for belt and suspenders safety, not a hydraulic jack capacity. FWIW
DTVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension