Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-15-2022, 10:55 AM   #1

Tire change or wheel maintenance

What are you using to change a tire or do wheel/ bearing and brake maintenance? I know I can raise the whole side of my rig with the Big foot system. I was wondering what you use when you just want to remove one tire ? Where would you place a Jack for one tire ? Of course Iíve got the MorRyde IS suspension, not to clear about MorRydeís information on their website. Pictures are always helpful, not sure why they donít use them more .
Also last question , are you or when do you rotate your tires ? Does this include the spare ? I have a triple axle with Goodyear H rated tires that came on the rig and have less than 10k on them . I havenít looked up the tires yet to see if they are one side only or can be flipped to opposite side of rig.
cwall59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2022, 04:44 PM   #2

Do you have hydraulic leveling system? If so, that is what I use if I need to change a tire. I also rotate my tires every other year along with lubing the hubs. I also keep a torque wrench in my truck (may be over kill) but I really try to eliminate as many tire/wheel issues as I can. They pretty much never end well at highway speeds for a trailer or MH.

I do not throw my spare into the tire rotation. I replace my tires every 5 years no matter how they look.

Hope this helps...
wildcat30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 08:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwall59 View Post
What are you using to change a tire or do wheel/ bearing and brake maintenance? I know I can raise the whole side of my rig with the Big foot system. I was wondering what you use when you just want to remove one tire ? Where would you place a Jack for one tire ? Of course Iíve got the MorRyde IS suspension, not to clear about MorRydeís information on their website. Pictures are always helpful, not sure why they donít use them more .
Also last question , are you or when do you rotate your tires ? Does this include the spare ? I have a triple axle with Goodyear H rated tires that came on the rig and have less than 10k on them . I havenít looked up the tires yet to see if they are one side only or can be flipped to opposite side of rig.
With a leveling system, it's easier to just use it to lift the rig and do your work. For 1 tire I have used a tire ramp that you pull up on or back up on to lift the wheel behind beside it.
I usually don't rotate the tires unless there is an obvious wear pattern.
Old 04-16-2022, 01:22 PM   #4

I always use the BigFoot jacks to lift the trailer for wheel work. However, I never get under the trailer or put any body part where it could be injured if one of the jacks suddenly failed. The jacks are rated much higher than the weight of the trailer, so there is no issue with them being able to lift and support the weight.
Burrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 09:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat30 View Post
Do you have hydraulic leveling system? If so, that is what I use if I need to change a tire. I also rotate my tires every other year along with lubing the hubs. I also keep a torque wrench in my truck (may be over kill) but I really try to eliminate as many tire/wheel issues as I can. They pretty much never end well at highway speeds for a trailer or MH.

I do not throw my spare into the tire rotation. I replace my tires every 5 years no matter how they look.

Hope this helps...
Yes I have the Bigfoot leveling system. How do you rotate your tires ? Keep them on the same side and just move them back a spot ?
Old 04-17-2022, 09:44 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
You can use your leveling system, but if you want to use a jack, MorRyde told us to place it under the shock attachment area. We just replaced our tires due to age and where we are traveling this year. But if you want to rotate, I would do side to side, now if you have a tire monitoring system, Tire Minder, I have to remove the sensors and reinstall after rotating or you will need to re-calibrate the system.
The spare, check and make sure you have the same rim, or you will be running with an odd-ball rim on it. I have seen where they place a different rim as a spare, a plain steel or the white spoke rim as the spare.
We have the IS System since October of 2020.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 07:07 PM   #7

Anyone balance your tires ? I noticed non of mine look like they have weights on them .
Old 04-18-2022, 10:49 PM   #8

Mine were balanced from the NH factory with stick-on weights inside the rim surface. Yours probably have those too if you look from the inside. I found that they went out of balance after some wear and had them rebalanced. In addition, I installed the ceramic beads that dynamically balance each wheel/tire as it rotates. I like the fact that they continually self-balance and adjust for tire wear. But I still see some mis-balanced wear on the tires, so I'm not totally convinced that they really balance as well as the lead weights.
Old 04-19-2022, 08:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrington View Post
Mine were balanced from the NH factory with stick-on weights inside the rim surface. Yours probably have those too if you look from the inside. I found that they went out of balance after some wear and had them rebalanced. In addition, I installed the ceramic beads that dynamically balance each wheel/tire as it rotates. I like the fact that they continually self-balance and adjust for tire wear. But I still see some mis-balanced wear on the tires, so I'm not totally convinced that they really balance as well as the lead weights.
Pulled the first tire yesterday and it had no weights on it . Probably going to run them one by one up to Discount Tire to be balanced. Non of them show any abnormal wear. Trying to make sure I have everything on hand before doing all the maintenance. Pads still look good on the first one so I can probably wait until next year to replace them . What are you torquing your lug nuts to ? I was told 125-130 , I’ve tried to find a definite value. I believe they are 9-16” studs . Tried looking on Kodiak site but saw various torque values .
Old 04-22-2022, 05:11 PM   #10

So an update , I pulled the passenger side tires and none of the three had weights on them . I called NH and asked if maybe they had balance beads in them . I was told they donít have beads in them and usually donít balance the tires as part of the build . I took them to Discount Tire and had them balanced. Next week Iíll pull the other three tires and do the same .
Old 04-23-2022, 07:29 AM   #11

Quote:
I pulled the passenger side tires and none of the three had weights on them . I called NH and asked if maybe they had balance beads in them . I was told they donít have beads in them and usually donít balance the tires as part of the build .
Many (most?) trailer wheels/tires are not balanced. Unless you notice wobbling or severve vibration, it's not really necessary on a trailer (and if there is wobbling, there's probably more to the issue than just balancing). Any additional wear (on non-extremely unbalanced ones) will be neligible - your tires will age out before the tread wears out. Also a reminder to check the tire manufactured date code.

Quote:
What are you torquing your lug nuts to ? I was told 125-130
It should be specified in your manual. But 8 stud trailer wheels are generally torqued to 120-130. The exact torque isn't as important as re-torquing them a couple of times in 50 to 100 mile intervals whenever they have been removed. That also should be specified in your manual.
jmadren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 02:29 PM   #12

My 7k Dexter Disc brake hubs are 5/8" studs and torque spec is 140 to 160, so I use 150 lb-ft. Attached is the proper torque and tightening pattern for various sizes and lugs that applies to the Hi-Spec wheels that came with my 2014 NH.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LugNutTorque.pdf (311.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-23-2022, 02:44 PM   #13

I totally disagree with anyone that says you don't need to balance trailer tires. Not only do they last longer when they are balanced, but they run smoother, create less wear and stress on the bearings, hubs, springs, shocks, frame and dishes. The low end manufacturers all look for ways to save every dollar of cost, but NH should NOT be delivering high end trailers with unbalanced tires. If your trailer tires have not been balanced, get them done. The cost is minor compared to the cost of prematurely replacing tires and suspension components.

I just this week had one tire indicate high pressure on the monitor. I used my thermal imager and found it was running hotter than the other 5. I used the Bigfoot jacks to raise the trailer and gave it a spin to check the bearings. Nice and smooth, but I noticed the tire had some wear spots typical of being out of balance. They are Goodyear "H" G114's. In order to determine that the heat was from the tire and not the bearings, I replaced it with my spare. After that, it ran normal pressure and temperature same as the rest, proving that the tire itself was causing enough heat to raise it's pressure 5 psi more than the others. These tires were originally balanced, but have not been rebalanced for a long time. In my mind, this proves to me that balancing is also important to keep tires running cooler.

Bottom line: get them balanced and keep them balanced.
Old 04-23-2022, 07:25 PM   #14

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, nothing wrong with that.

You didn't say, but I'm curious to know if you got the "unbalanced" tire balanced and if it then stopped running hot.

I meant to include 9/16" in my statement, since that's what the OP stated he had.
jmadren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, tire