RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Keystone
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #337
Senior Member
 
Jimmie2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEli View Post
I am happy to report, the mattress is not the problem.

I screwed (4) 1x4 slats laterally across the top of the wooden frame. The slats started approximately 1’ from the head of the bead, and are spaced to fit in the area between every other elastic strap. Underneath the 1x4 slats, I placed a 2x2 to form a ‘T-bar’. The 2x2’s were screwed/glued to the 1x4 slats. The resulting strength is phenomenal, as I can stand on an individual slat without any sag. Total cost for the project was under $20 with negligible weight gain.

Sweet dreams…
Hey Jim,
Any updates - ie, pictures - on your mattress mod?

Man, Where IS everybody?
__________________
TV: 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
TT: 2012 Cougar HC 321RES with Equal-i-zer Hitch

https://www.freygaritaville.com
Jimmie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #338
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 122
Talking

I was wondering the same thing, they must be out camping or something. I wish he had taken more pics of his mods so I could see just exactly how he did it. It may be too late now since he has the black cover back on. I got a quote from the local dealer here in town for the 321res we are looking at. $1500 over cost which is a lot cheaper than other dealers around the country. It will give the salesman a little beer money. I think I got this cheap a price because I used to work there and I have kept a good relationship with the owner and the rest of the crew since I left. It will be a while before I get it in.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #339
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 122
iluvcamping, I noticed in the first page of this section, you are towing with a ford f150. how does it do with this big TT? I have a chev 6.0 with 4.10's and I'm a little concerned about how my truck will do. If yours will pull OK then I guess I can relax a little and not be so worried about it. I always am this way until I either have some one with a truck like mine or actually get behind the wheel and see for my self. Since my truck only has a rating for 10200 lbs I am a little concerned. I know I am right at the limit or very close to it.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:04 AM   #340
Registered User
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Western, MA
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpro View Post
I was wondering the same thing, they must be out camping or something. I wish he had taken more pics of his mods so I could see just exactly how he did it. It may be too late now since he has the black cover back on. I got a quote from the local dealer here in town for the 321res we are looking at. $1500 over cost which is a lot cheaper than other dealers around the country. It will give the salesman a little beer money. I think I got this cheap a price because I used to work there and I have kept a good relationship with the owner and the rest of the crew since I left. It will be a while before I get it in.
I would love to know what cost actually is with prices varying so wildly form dealer to dealer.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #341
Senior Member
 
Jimmie2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 111
While at the Tampa RV Show last month, the 321RES they had on display had a list price on it for $48,434. Special for the show was $42,712! Yea right !!!
__________________
TV: 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
TT: 2012 Cougar HC 321RES with Equal-i-zer Hitch

https://www.freygaritaville.com
Jimmie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #342
Senior Member
 
Jimmie2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 111
Found the pic I took of that price!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	321RES.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	17665  
__________________
TV: 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
TT: 2012 Cougar HC 321RES with Equal-i-zer Hitch

https://www.freygaritaville.com
Jimmie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #343
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 122
so at 35K I am getting a good deal, from the looks of your price picture. 35K includes all the options and shipping and upgrades I asked for. we don't have sales tax and I think the only thing I have over that price is license and the second air conditioner and two fantastic fans, which I know I can get employee prices for them. Like I said I still have good friends out there in the back in the service dept.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #344
Registered User
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Western, MA
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpro View Post
so at 35K I am getting a good deal, from the looks of your price picture. 35K includes all the options and shipping and upgrades I asked for. we don't have sales tax and I think the only thing I have over that price is license and the second air conditioner and two fantastic fans, which I know I can get employee prices for them. Like I said I still have good friends out there in the back in the service dept.

Well, it's about 10k more than Scuby Sue paid last year from Petes, but there have been price increases and you mention upgrades and shipping. I paid a few g's more than her and thought I got a good deal.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #345
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 122
I talked to one dealer in tri cities Washington and they told me they sell over 70 TT a month year round and they have their 321RES about 7K more than my local dealer. the salesman claimed it was supply and demand. I told him I don't believe in supply and demand and I will buy from the lowest price dealer I can find. He lost my business. But he did have nice unit. It gave me the idea and the knowledge of what I wanted in my new TT. After all if you are going to spend that kind of money, you should get what you want, not something like every one else gets. So I talked to Bob at the local dealer and he got back to me in a few days with this low price. I know for sure when we buy he will get my business.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #346
Junior Member
 
TURTLE-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9
golfpro...I pull the cougar with a Tundra Crewmax and have had no problems. Jimmie2 and I pull them from Cincinnati, over the low mountains and it was a breeze. Of course Jimmie2 had his 2500 diesel and stopped at fewer pumps them myself, didn't mean to slow you down buddy. I think you will be okay golfpro as long as your hitch equipment is right....turtle-1
TURTLE-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #347
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Birch Bay, WA
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie2 View Post
Hey Jim,
Any updates - ie, pictures - on your mattress mod?

Man, Where IS everybody?
Sorry, I covered the mattress support before taking pictures. The project took about 1/2 day including running to HD for the supplies. It works great. If my previous description is confusing or if you have any specific questions I would be glad to help.

If nothing else, I would suggest buying a couple of 1"x4" wooden slats, and cutting them to the width of your bed. Then place them under the mattress. Experiment and you'll see that it easily improves the sagging.
JimEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #348
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Birch Bay, WA
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpro View Post
iluvcamping, I noticed in the first page of this section, you are towing with a ford f150. how does it do with this big TT? I have a chev 6.0 with 4.10's and I'm a little concerned about how my truck will do. If yours will pull OK then I guess I can relax a little and not be so worried about it. I always am this way until I either have some one with a truck like mine or actually get behind the wheel and see for my self. Since my truck only has a rating for 10200 lbs I am a little concerned. I know I am right at the limit or very close to it.
I rambled on and on, about my experiences with our Tundra 1/2 ton pulling the 321RES. You can read it here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f272/coug...-89806-15.html
JimEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #349
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 122
you guys have been very helpful during my product search mode I'm going through. My SIL was here last night and said I could buy a used DP MH for the money I will spend on this TT. BUT I'm not looking for a MH, he is. I have a new grand son and SIL is looking for a DP so they can care for his needs a little more than pulling a TT. But some where in my searching I read that you should not sit at the dining table or the couches when the slides are retracted. because the slide floor is floating over the TT trailer main floor and you can damage the slide. If this is the case, what about MH slides? how do they get around that part of the trip since he wants DW to get him a bottle of water every now and then. I asked this on another forum and the MH people got a little testie about the question.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #350
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Birch Bay, WA
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpro View Post
you guys have been very helpful during my product search mode I'm going through. My SIL was here last night and said I could buy a used DP MH for the money I will spend on this TT. BUT I'm not looking for a MH, he is. I have a new grand son and SIL is looking for a DP so they can care for his needs a little more than pulling a TT. But some where in my searching I read that you should not sit at the dining table or the couches when the slides are retracted. because the slide floor is floating over the TT trailer main floor and you can damage the slide. If this is the case, what about MH slides? how do they get around that part of the trip since he wants DW to get him a bottle of water every now and then. I asked this on another forum and the MH people got a little testie about the question.
If you sat at the kitchen table and retracted the slide, you would be stuck there for awhile.

Beyond common sense, the Owner's Manual states: "DO NOT ride in the slide-out when extending/retracting,"
JimEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heartland, kz-rv



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cougar FW rim size Groveite Keystone 14 01-29-2011 06:25 PM
window replacement - Keystone Cougar Groveite RV Systems & Appliances 6 09-20-2010 09:13 PM
Contemplating Cougar 326MKS 5er byrdr1 5th Wheel Discussion 2 09-06-2010 02:29 PM
Cougar fifth wheel MSRP? rvrat 5th Wheel Discussion 13 08-09-2010 12:07 AM
110v Res. Fridg--Generator usage Waterdog4315 Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 7 03-03-2010 03:56 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.