Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Keystone
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #547

Towing

Hi Guys,

Looking to pick up a 2012 321RES this month in Canada...Has anyone tried towing this with an SUV? I have a 2011 Tahoe with 3.42 and heavy duty tow package claiming 8200 tow capabilities...problems?
randoj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2012, 05:13 AM   #548

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMASS Camper View Post
DINETTE ALERT!!. My wife and I are here at the Mystic Conneticut KOA for the week and last night while we were eating at the table she mentioned that the table squeaked a tad. So, tonight being the dutiful husband, I crawled under the table and while looking for the cause of the squeaking I noticed two hinges that are attached on only one side, the other side is not attached to anything. As I was trying to figure out what the purpose of the hinges was I noticed some grooves in the bottom of the table. I discovered if you lower both hinges and sit on the couch side of the table you can pull the table top toward you to give the window side more room. Bet that isin't in the owners manual anywhere.
I knew about the sliding table, but this weekend as I was cleaning up I tipped a dinette chair upside down to discover the chair cushions are hinged. There's about a 2" deep storage bin under each. It's the stupidest small space but I can't wait to find something to put in there. Then I'll probably forget about it forever though.
Smatt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:54 AM   #549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smatt79 View Post
I knew about the sliding table, but this weekend as I was cleaning up I tipped a dinette chair upside down to discover the chair cushions are hinged. There's about a 2" deep storage bin under each. It's the stupidest small space but I can't wait to find something to put in there. Then I'll probably forget about it forever though.

Thanks for the info. Looks like a good place for magazines, maybe a Kindle, a few napkins, or maybe all the camper manuals.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:05 AM   #550

Quote:
Originally Posted by randoj8 View Post
Hi Guys,

Looking to pick up a 2012 321RES this month in Canada...Has anyone tried towing this with an SUV? I have a 2011 Tahoe with 3.42 and heavy duty tow package claiming 8200 tow capabilities...problems?
According to the 2011 brochure the shipping weight of the 321 is 7751 lbs. That leaves you only 449 lbs. for all the stuff you will load in the camper; propane, water, food clothes, chairs etc. I don’t know if I would be comfortable because you are certainly at the limit for your Tahoe towing with it empty. I'd be looking into a vehicle with a larger towing capacity. My 1500 Silverado with the 6.2 is rated at 10,400 lbs. towing capacity and it handles the RV just fine.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #551

Quote:
Originally Posted by randoj8 View Post
Hi Guys,

That's probably cutting it too close. With batteries and propane tanks full and the normal extra stuff, you'll be at or or over the tow rating. You also need to check the tongue weight limit of Tahoe as the 321 can get to 1100 lbs pretty easily.

Best of luck,
Mike
Clayhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #552

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Towing Vehicles

There are so many dynamics in towing a trailer. I have heard several discussions on this and I have towed trailers exceeding the limits of the tow vehicle..
All I can say is this all involves Safety for the occupants and others on the roadway.
Sure a 1/2 ton can tow these trailers, but what if you have a blow out? Can you control the trailer?
A trailer may tow fine down a nice road or up a grade.. Throw in an emergency while your moving??
I admire the folks stepping up to the high grade hitch systems! These are a big factor in towing with a vehicle that weighs less than the trailer!
The weight of and beefed up systems (1/2 ton vs. larger) of the tow vehicle are a major factor! Let's look at brakes???? The F350 is considerably larger than a F150.
We upgraded our tow vehicle, then looked for a trailer to tow that fit our taste.. Walla, we found the RES321.. Showed it at the office today - had to clean the drool off the carpet!
Have a safe and Great summer!! We enjoy all of your comments and thanks for the ideas on improvements with the 321!
Cheers.....
dgrant09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #553

Randoj8, you are just looking for a mess of troubles with something with that short of a wheel base and those gear ratios are way to high to pull a TT 35 ft long. get a truck that is designed to pull the 321. you might get by with a tent trailer or a 20 ft tt. you will have sway like you wouldn't believe with that short wheel base and going up a hill or crossing the Rockies would be out of the question. like said above you only have about 400 lbs left over and that 400 lbs also includes you and the wife and any one else you take with you. In short I wouldn't do it on a bet.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #554

Thanks guys. Your input is very valuable. I think what I may end up doing is use the tahoe for small moves on flat surfaces (less than 100 miles) and either rent a truck for longer moves. I think you guys' feedback is much more realistic than what dealers are telling me...so again, Thank you.
randoj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:53 AM   #555

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMASS Camper View Post
Thanks for the info. Looks like a good place for magazines, maybe a Kindle, a few napkins, or maybe all the camper manuals.
Wmass... As in western mass? I thought I was the only western masshole with a 321, ESP considering I had to get mine out of Ohio.
Smatt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #556

Has anyone considered purchasing a third party warranty plan once the Keystone year is complete? I was looking into the Good Sam ESP plans and was wondering if anyone has had experience with these? We just crossed the 12 month mark and seeing the bill after the work this winter, I sort of cringed..
I understand that several of the appliances carry two or three years on the manufacture side which is nice.. If we were to start the policy now it would be much cheaper in the long run as the policies go up in pricing each year for new policies.
I had a third party warranty on a truck once -- wow, what a waste that was!
Thanks for your time,
Old 05-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smatt79 View Post
Wmass... As in western mass? I thought I was the only western masshole with a 321, ESP considering I had to get mine out of Ohio.
Yes, as in Western Mass, guess we are practically neighbors. Diamond RV in Hatfield MA sells the Cougar line as well as the High Country models. I bought mine in January from my neighbor who has upgraded to a Toy Hauler. So I'm pretty comfortable he worked out all the kinks because everything has worked just fine. We used the RV three weekends in a row in April and as of today we are completing a week long trip in Mystic Connecticut. No issues what-so-ever.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #558

the rule of thumb is 20 ft tt for 110 inch wheel base and then one ft for every 4 inches over the 110inch wheelbase. for a 2011 tahoe, the wheelbase is 116 inches. that works out to be a 28 ft tt. the 321 is 35 ft. I would not go with the 321
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #559

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrant09 View Post
Has anyone considered purchasing a third party warranty plan once the Keystone year is complete? I was looking into the Good Sam ESP plans and was wondering if anyone has had experience with these? We just crossed the 12 month mark and seeing the bill after the work this winter, I sort of cringed..
I understand that several of the appliances carry two or three years on the manufacture side which is nice.. If we were to start the policy now it would be much cheaper in the long run as the policies go up in pricing each year for new policies.
I had a third party warranty on a truck once -- wow, what a waste that was!
Thanks for your time,
Hi Dgrant,

We are at the same point with warranty and have wondered the samething. At this point we are not going to purchase a third party warranty.

Grizz

TT 2012 Couger HC 321RES with Equal-i-zer Hitch
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
Hi Dgrant,

We are at the same point with warranty and have wondered the samething. At this point we are not going to purchase a third party warranty.

Grizz
Grizz,
We too have decided to skip it as it is expensive and we can do many repairs ourselves..
Plus, with what I read, even the better companies did not have great reviews..
Thanks
Dan

Tags
heartland, kz-rv