RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Keystone
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:06 AM   #645

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
I loved my Equalizer. Was the perfect hitch on my 321.
Taken,
Did you ever encounter high winds (30+ mph) on rough roads with this hitch? Usually it is just the wind, but a few roads get a little rough and I am usually down to 40/45 for the very rough areas. Darn frost heaves..
Dan
dgrant09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2012, 04:49 AM   #646

Forest River Owners Club
Sure. Had some pretty good winds on a few trips last year. Never an issue. I was really surprised.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #647

the bed

Has anyone done anything about the bed yet? I'm sick of sinking to the middle with the lousy strap supports I'm going to do something TODAY but on the off chance anyone has replaced the frame or done anything with plywood or slats I was hoping to hear about how successful it was...
Smatt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #648

Forest River Owners Club
We changed our mattress on the warranties dime, which got it about 90%. Wood slats or plywood would make it perfect. It's been discussed back 20-30 pages or so. LOL. Someone posted a detailed how too about it.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #649

Quote:
We changed our mattress on the warranties dime, which got it about 90%. Wood slats or plywood would make it perfect. It's been discussed back 20-30 pages or so. LOL. Someone posted a detailed how too about it.
oops, I knew the problem was mentioned, but I didn't think anyone discussed actually doing it. Anyway, I replaced the middle cross members with 2x4's and set 3/4" plywood on top. I wasn't too keen on the weight of 3/4 but was worried that the 1/2 wouldn't be enough. Its a lot heavier, but surprisingly the lift supports still hold it. Slept like a baby last night without rolling to the middle of the bed!
Smatt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #650

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smatt79 View Post
oops, I knew the problem was mentioned, but I didn't think anyone discussed actually doing it. Anyway, I replaced the middle cross members with 2x4's and set 3/4" plywood on top. I wasn't too keen on the weight of 3/4 but was worried that the 1/2 wouldn't be enough. Its a lot heavier, but surprisingly the lift supports still hold it. Slept like a baby last night without rolling to the middle of the bed!
You must have gotten stronger supports! Ours wouldn't hold with just the new mattress.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #651

Quote:
You must have gotten stronger supports! Ours wouldn't hold with just the new mattress.

I doubt a 12” or thicker-extremely stiff mattress would improve the sagging problem. I also doubt simply laying a piece of plywood on top of the frame would help. I’m full-timing in our 321RES and here is the fix I implemented (its still working with the OEM mattress):

I removed the black cover from the frame. BTW, I think the worker that attached the black cover was paid by the staple.

Then I screwed/glued (4) 1”x4” wooden slats laterally across the top of the wooden frame. The slats started approximately 1’ from the head of the bead, and spaced to fit between every other elastic strap.

Under the 1x4 slats, I placed a 2”x2” piece of wood to form a ‘T-bar’. The 2x2 was cut to a length that allowed it to just fit inside the 2x4 frame (side-to-side). The 2x2’s were screwed approximately every foot and glued to the 1x4 slats.

Then I reapplied the black cover. The resulting strength is phenomenal. I can stand on an individual slat without any noticeable sag. It took me about 3 hours to complete the project, including pulling the frame out/in of the 321RES (simply remove 4 screws holding the frame to the hinges at the head board and un-snap the struts). Total cost for the project was under $20 with negligible weight gain.

As for the use of the glue, it’s the only time I’ll advocate a liberal policy.
JimEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #652

Newmar Owners Club
OK, for the last two days I have read this thread from cover to cover. Great information and I thank everyone who has contributed.

First off, yes my profile is correct. I have been a member here for over 10 years but his is my first post. I think I registered on every board known to mankind to make sure no one stole my handle.... Through the years I have mainly hung out at pop up forums and Disney/Fort Wilderness forums.

This is where the DW & I stand now. I retired once, but she made me go back to work, I was having too much fun. She is eligible to retire in November and I can retire the second time in April of 2014. We love primitive camping and moved from tent, to small pop up to large pop up. You can see our current set up on my web site Natasha's Camping Site

We always figured we would end up with a Class A and travel a couple/few months at a time and home base in western North Carolina. We found 3 acres (OK, 2.76 to be exact) and at this point we have erected a Morton building, 36 feet wide and 50 feet deep with a 15' wide RV door on the front and 14' vertical clearance. Morton Buildings - Pole Barns, Horse Barns, Steel Buildings, Metal Buildings, Storage Buildings, Farm Buildings In addition to the storage space, we added a small efficiency on the side with sleeping, cooking and a bathroom.

So, in researching Class A's we are now deciding that there may be too many moving parts/too much trouble built in to them, So how about a towable. I'm really not interested in a fiver, as I like to carry "stuff" in the ed of the truck. We looked at Toy Haulers, but they seem a little too "industrial".

So we have been visiting RV Dealers off and on for a couple of years looking for the inspiration, a combination of towability using our current F-250 and comfort in the trailer. We plan on keeping the pop up for trips in to more remote areas, but are looking for a "home" for traveling around a couple of months at a time.

My sister picked up a Keystone Laredo so we decided to check out different Keystone lines. We wandered into a dealer who sold the Cougar Xlite line and liked some of the floorplans, but something was "missing" in the line. Of course the salesman didn't tell me about the High Country line because they don't sell them, but I stumbled across them on the web.

Right now, without seeing one in person I think it may be what we are looking for. The 321RES seems to have everything we want covered without buying a Class A. Only one dealer close by who sells them, but no TTs in stock. If work will cooperate a day trip to Hershey for the RV show may give us a chance to take a good look.

Luckily, we are in no real hurry. The only negative is that prices continue to go up, but if we bought one it would sit at our property not being used a whole lot.

So, now I'm in the planning stage. The weights are well within the specs for the F-250, but as you can probably tell from towing a pop up with a diesel, I like ovekill. Now I'm obsessing ove the hitch. Hensley, ProPride or somethin else because I crazy to think about those two.

I guess I've rambled on for too long....
tim5055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #653

We bought ours from Terry Town RV, Mike Fleser at 616.540.5747 or 616-301-6920. They have a large inventory and gave us a great price. They are in Grand Rapids, MI.
The pictures of the 321RES on their website is ours, the first one they sold..
Wish we received commissions!!
Old 07-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #654

Appointment made for a Bra!

Thought that would get some attention! :-)
We have been watching the front of our trailer take small rock hits and chipping.. I very, very seldom am on gravel roads, and when we do, I go slow..
I thought of the 3m plastic covering, but it will eventually fail, when it comes off, so does the graphics. Due to the design, diamond plate would be $$, if even possible..
So, I stopped by a upholstery place that I have worked with before and we made an appointment for a bra install on the trailer..
He has done work for us before and we are looking forward to seeing this.. 600.00 - Sept 10, it goes into the shop.. We will post pictures..
I will agree, cleaning these every trip will be an added chore.. But worth the cost of replacing the nose of the trailer..
Old 07-31-2012, 11:14 PM   #655

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrant09 View Post
Thought that would get some attention! :-)
We have been watching the front of our trailer take small rock hits and chipping.. I very, very seldom am on gravel roads, and when we do, I go slow..
I thought of the 3m plastic covering, but it will eventually fail, when it comes off, so does the graphics. Due to the design, diamond plate would be $$, if even possible..
So, I stopped by a upholstery place that I have worked with before and we made an appointment for a bra install on the trailer..
He has done work for us before and we are looking forward to seeing this.. 600.00 - Sept 10, it goes into the shop.. We will post pictures..
I will agree, cleaning these every trip will be an added chore.. But worth the cost of replacing the nose of the trailer..
When you have made it will be good to see the pics!

Grizz

TT 2012 Couger HC 321RES with Equal-i-zer Hitch
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:38 PM   #656

Cougar 321 Black Tank Problems

Curious if folks are having problems draining their black water tank? We continue to have to do multiple rinses to ensure we have every thing out of the tank. The last two times out I've put about five gallons of water and chemical in the tank before any use, still had problems. Thinking about trying the Geo method next.

Grizz

TT 2012 Couger HC 321RES with Equal-i-zer Hitch
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #657

I always have problems getting the black tank flushed out - meaning the gauges always read near full or full. I'm not even sure that the "flushie" works all that well as I see no water really coming out of clear elbow that I attach for flushing. The grey tanks seem to empty pretty much and then when I get home, I will open both tanks and let the remaining dribbles drain out until dry. When dumping, I do use a Flush King attachment so that I can back-fill the black tank and let it run for about 5 minutes and open the valve for a good cleaning. I try to repeat this a few times if I am hooked to full hook-ups for a great cleaning. Once I feel that the tanks are fairly empty, I will dump 2 gallons of water with a cup of Calgon and scoop of Happy Camper in the black tank and a gallon of the same mixture in each of the grey tanks. Seems to keep the smells down and the DW from complaining.

My gauges worked pretty well until we were at a park near Tampa last January for the Tampa RV Show. When I went to dump, there were two rangers standing there telling everyone to be careful and NOT open the valves fully as they were having problems with the drain and if you dumped to fast the pipe would stop up. Ever since then, my gauges have been mucked up and do not register very well. Oh well, if the shower backs up, I guess that tank is full and if the toilet bubbles a little more than usual, then that tank must be getting full too!

Jimmie

https://www.freygaritaville.com
Jimmie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #658

For the Bra - We will post pics when it is done. I am going to ask about snaps rusting and how will they be attached.. I do not want them coming loose or damaging the trailer from replacement due to "cheap" materials! I hate spending money for Quality when Quality should have been there from day 1.

As for the black tank flushing??

We too are having issues.. We just had our flush system repaired so that it works (first since we received the trailer) period. And it works like what the tank is holding.. I had to use the wand (sold at walmart) to rinse from inside the trailer (toilet), twice, as I did in our old trailer. I do not feel there is enough pressure for the factory system to clean the tank out.. Disappointing!

I also use the "Geo" tank solution on a occasional basis.. Works great!! I just do not like mixing it in the trailer as I do not have a pot that big stored in trailer for trips due to the size. I typically do this before we leave the house. The trip outbound helps mixing the fluid in the tank quite well.. Maybe Taken will chime in on this black tank flush system? The grey water tanks drain well with our trailer.

Tags
heartland, kz-rv